Glock Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Hiding in plain sight....
Joined
·
18,109 Posts
Proficiency test for ccw is one I've never heard before. Having to re-test is something I would be willing to do. It is something that we do for drivers licenses.
Many states already require it (TN and KY for sure, MS if you want an 'enhanced' permit). I have no issue with this because as you said, we already have a test for a Driver's license. I have no issues with permitting, but soon the cost is going to be huge. Right now, most states rely on the private sector for training. When you get a driver's license, the state-paid employee does your test. The only cost to you is the license fee of about 20 bucks. The firearms test/trainings require classroom time and range time...totalling roughly 100-200 bucks, BEFORE you pay your CCW fee which varies by state (here in MS it is $132.00). If you want to permit, ok...so be it, BUT keep it affordable to the general public.

Ultimately though..this will not 'fix' the issue, but simply be a band-aid. Another shooting will happen by a crazy permittee, and we will all loose.
However raising the standards for conceled carry should like you said should allow us to carry in places we can't currently.
But remember...give them (gun control supporters of tighter restrictions) and inch, and they will take a mile!
 

· Hiding in plain sight....
Joined
·
18,109 Posts
I honestly think that you Should Not have to pay a fee in order to exercise your Constitutional Rights including the 2nd Amend. However, I'd not be opposed to having to "Qualify" every year with my handgun in order to carry IF and only IF I were also granted the same privileges as Law Enforcement Officers were as far as where and when I could carry. LEO's are Civilians same as you and I weather they like to hear that or not and I don't see why they can carry in places that Citizens with HCP's(Handgun Carry Permit, here in Tennessee that allows both concealed and open carry in public) can't carry.
Let's level the playing field and allow evey one who can pass the background check and proficiency course the same ability to carry as LEO's.
I completely agree. BUT, I will say that at least LEOs have a fair amount of training. I wouldn't be opposed to going through a training to be able to carry everywhere as well. Just make it available/affordable!
 

· Hiding in plain sight....
Joined
·
18,109 Posts
In tactics I'd say yes but in shooting, probably not any more then the average guy who shoots once a month gets.
I must say...in a shoot-out, defensive actions, terrorist attempt, etc.
Tactics are 90%...the other 10% is shooting. Tactics are the important thing. You are right that they physically shoot probably the same about that I do for my competitions, but the tactics/response to the situation is what MANY people need when they get 'trained.'
How many times have we read about an LEO emptying his handgun at a perp and only scoring a couple hits? Just because someone is an LEO it doesn't automatically make them a "Gun Person". I've know quite a few LEO's that wished they didn't have to carry a sidearm in their job. On the other hand guys like my Nephew who's Nashville PD is a huge "Gun Nut" and very proficient in shooting. :D
You and I couldn't agree more. :) It is funny when some cops don't even know what kind of vehicle you are driving other than Ford Truck or Nissian SUV.
 

· Hiding in plain sight....
Joined
·
18,109 Posts
Personally, giving them one step in the door is too much. I believe the constitution is my gun permit and I should not be required to pay the government for that right! That said, I also believe that it is the citizens responsibility to acquire training and to strive to be proficient in weapons skills. Does everyone have the right to carry a gun? Bet your sweet but they do. Should everyone carry a gun? Hell no! Too bad the days of personal responsibility are long gone...
Very blunt, but very true! :cool:
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top