21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Republic Of Texas & 50K Contest Winner Member
3,075 Posts
Reactions: cazbass

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts
My knife. Whichever one or 2 I have on me. Coming back from Disney Land yesterday. I realized how much I missed having a knife. I did how ever open a few things with the seat belt cutter on my Leatherman Tread LT, lol!

IMG_1549333002.766326.jpg

·
Administrator
133,011 Posts
Have they increased there security there? It seemed to be only random unlike universal studios 3 years ago. Lost a knife at universal due to the metal detector thing there

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts
Have they increased there security there? It seemed to be only random unlike universal studios 3 years ago. Lost a knife at universal due to the metal detector thing there
Yeah, no knifes period. Disney land I had 3 security check points. Metal detector, and full wand and pat down. My bracelet actually served its purpose. Instead of its usual role as man jewelry, lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If there’s one thing I learned from SERE school it’s this... you can live off the land, you can boil water, you can pick up and put down equipment, one thing that is always a leg up, is a silent means of obtaining food or freedom.

For me my one item would be compound bow and arrows. It’s a means of staying quiet, gaining food, water, supplies etc without being obvious and detectable.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts
If there’s one thing I learned from SERE school it’s this... you can live off the land, you can boil water, you can pick up and put down equipment, one thing that is always a leg up, is a silent means of obtaining food or freedom.

For me my one item would be compound bow and arrows. It’s a means of staying quiet, gaining food, water, supplies etc without being obvious and detectable.

Cheers.
I would still go with a knife. Just a bigger one. Maybe like that book “ Hatchet”. Worked well for the guy in the story.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts

Cheers.
I absolutely agree. In a total collapse you have to be quiet & unseen. For hunting/food I'm
seriously considering a crossbow for that very purpose (a Ravin in fact).

·
Republic Of Texas & 50K Contest Winner Member
3,075 Posts
Yeah, no knifes period. Disney land I had 3 security check points
My how the world has changed & not for the better

I can remember carrying a pocket knife to high school and having a loaded shotgun in my gunrack in plain sight in the truck. When we went out for gym I would put my knife in my locker with everything else. Couple of time I had to use it in class to help the teacher open a box, no problem

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,765 Posts
I hear ya on the pocket knife! I still carry one and have since I was a kid! I was told unless you have a reason they are considered a concealed weapon!!!! I mentioned this to a cop here in town and he said technically yes, but he added a bloke of my age???? For heaven's sake ,you blokes carry em out of habit for work purposes. peeling fruit, cleaning ya fingernails, gutting rabbits or skinning a fox. I laughed like buggery

·
Glockin’ since 1993
37,949 Posts
I hear ya on the pocket knife! I still carry one and have since I was a kid! I was told unless you have a reason they are considered a concealed weapon!!!! I mentioned this to a cop here in town and he said technically yes, but he added a bloke of my age???? For heaven's sake ,you blokes carry em out of habit for work purposes. peeling fruit, cleaning ya fingernails, gutting rabbits or skinning a fox. I laughed like buggery
I don’t recall carrying a knife living in New Jersey my first 25 years. After moving to Texas 27 years ago I can’t remember NOT carrying one. I don’t skin animals but find a use almost daily.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,765 Posts
I can't remember ,how old I was when I got my first pocket knife. I would have had to have been 7 or 8. They're just one of those things living on a Station (Ranch) you took for granted. I would think looking back, that people would have a Pink Fit ,if they'd entered our school in those days! My god! We were armed to the teeth! Pocket knives, the elder students having a .22 long rifle in their ute, (especially on a friday!) Even funnier ......Rabbit traps hanging outside class rooms! So we could set em on the way home from school to check that night!
SH#T!!!! What happened to society? Turned into a Mob of soft cocks

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Back on topic .... A fire starting kit. a good campfire is always comforting
I Learned from a Elk hunting trip in my teens that tree pitch can be the go to for a fire. In the winter months the pitch hardens and is easily collectable. My dad used to keep it in a brown paper bag. When we needed a fire, he'd pull out a piece, get a fire going & then roll out what was left to harden in the snow & throw it back in the bag...….Never forgot that one...

·
Remove me..Security sucks.
2,472 Posts
my warped sense of humor and sense of the ridiculous. I'm sure "Now that's a fine mess you've gotten us into, Ollie" would become my mantra. At 60, still running daily weather permitting, hiking/walking/cross country skiing when inclement, and daily workouts would come in handy and I think is something many overlook. As I went 18 years being unable to run due to injury, I consider it a luxury, and am certainly appreciative of being able to run again. Good boots or shoes as required, good socks.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
my warped sense of humor and sense of the ridiculous. I'm sure "Now that's a fine mess you've gotten us into, Ollie" would become my mantra. At 60, still running daily weather permitting, hiking/walking/cross country skiing when inclement, and daily workouts would come in handy and I think is something many overlook. As I went 18 years being unable to run due to injury, I consider it a luxury, and am certainly appreciative of being able to run again. Good boots or shoes as required, good socks.
Good for you for staying active. I’m right behind you at 58 years old. I’ve never had the discipline to “work out” so I’ve been getting back to playing tennis like I did years ago. I have to make a game out of getting in shape so I’ll stick with it. So far it’s been a lot of “huffing and puffing” when I play so I’ve got to work on my endurance; a sedentary lifestyle is very unhealthy.

·
Remove me..Security sucks.
2,472 Posts
Tennis is good. I played HS tennis, mom and dad both were real active in it. My mom taught until messing her ankle up at 80. She "toured" the gated communities near her house in Florida, charging $5 a lesson per person. :)
Rough sport for the short tempered. I got out of it, stuck with swimming and bicycling. Those near misses would tick me off:rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 49 Posts