Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back I was walking my dog in my neighborhood while cc. I was walking by a house that had 2 rottweilers that were very aggressive. He had roughly a 4'-4.5' fence which seemed sufficient as they were fairly large dogs and I didn't see them getting over it. Well he was doing some type of work in the yard and had a pile of dirt right by the fence at about the same hieght. Well I walk by and the dogs didn't notice me or my dog until I am about 40 yards from their dog house (which was a truck cap on the ground...this guy was a real classy). Anyway the larger male simply ran up the dirt mound and over the fence and began running after me and my dog. Immediately the owner came running out of the home trying to call the dog back and yelling that he was not "friendly". I ran about 4 paces and realized that running was a losing plan, so I stood on my dogs leash and drew my firearm and put my sights on the dog. I drew a visual line in the sand (prob around the 5-7 yard range) and waited for him to reach it when the owner's screams finally reached the dog and he stopped. Believe it or not, the owner was pretty pissed at me (even after I reholstered the weapon and showed him my permit) so I called the state police to inform them of what happened. The trooper basically told me "No harm, no foul" and they did not even send someone out (that suprised me). The man finally relented and took his dog home. To this day I wonder if my actions were an over reaction or not. Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Would you prefer to be mauled or your own dog to be injured or killed? It's not a great alternative.

The firearm is there for your protection and if the dog is no longer in the owner's control, you have every right to defend yourself.

I love dogs. I love well trained dogs. I do not tolerate dogs that attack people because they are poorly trained.

You did the right thing. Kudos to you.

Whereabouts in Philly do you live. I believe philly has a city ordnance about aggressive animals and PA has it's own set of laws:

Pennsylvania Statutes and Consolidated Statutes > Title 3 > Chapter 8 : Dog Law > Article V-A : 459-504-A. Control

459-504-A. Control of dangerous dogs

It is unlawful for an owner or keeper of a dangerous dog to permit the dog to be outside the proper enclosure unless the dog is muzzled and restrained by a substantial chain or leash and under physical restraint of a responsible person. The muzzle shall be made in a manner that will not cause injury to the dog or interfere with its vision or respiration but shall prevent it from biting any person or animal or from destroying property with its teeth.

D

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Would you prefer to be mauled?

The firearm is there for your protection and if the dog is no longer in the owner's control, you have every right to defend yourself.

I love dogs. I love well trained dogs. I do not tolerate dogs that attack people because they are poorly trained.

You did the right thing.

D
+100^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ well said DWC, protecting yourself doesn't always mean it is a human on the other end.

·
Lead Farmer
2,882 Posts
I already have... I was dropping off my nephew at hes grandmothers when a pitbull came out of no where and started growling at me like no tomorrow. I reached for my g23 and pulled it out. Slowly walked to my car door while pointing the gun at the dog. Luckily nothing happen.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
I've done it before and would do it again. A dog within 30ft will be on top of you before you can draw your firearm, and that's from an open carry holster. Hell yes I will draw down on a charging dog, and if it gets with 10 yards while aggressively running towards me, or my family, I will shoot it.

I understand a pet is like family for many people, but their family be damned if it threatens mine.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
I put Philadelphia, but in reality I am in a suburb about 30mins north of Philadelphia.
AH ok. no worries. no need to list it here. I also live in a suburb NW of Philadelphia, so you have to consider local ordinances, as well (in the aftermath).

At the time though, in the stressful situation, i'm sure local ordinances on dog control were the furthest thing from you mind.

The PSP would most likely not do anything about it, but local PD probably would. You could also contact your local county's Animal Control officer.

D

·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought the same thing, considering the state police would not even send a trooper to my location. I guess the measure is always "would you do it again if you were in the same situation" and the answer is yes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Dog or human, if anything threatens your personal safety and you feel you are in danger, that's what a gun is for. You did the right thing and I hope all of us would have done the same.
Side note, I love dogs, but I'd shoot one in a heartbeat if it was coming at me.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
You Dang right you did the right thing.
Dog's should be well trained by the owner to protect him and his family.
The dog(s) should, if well trained, know their boundaries and not cross that line.
Without a doubt, I think everyone here will agree that you did the Right Thing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
ya, kudos to you for holding off as long as you did, a dog bite could be just as bad if not worse then other attacks. I would have drawn too.

·
Hiding in plain sight....
18,120 Posts
I agree with everything above. Simply put, you have to defend yourself from human and animal threats alike. I would strongly suggest to the neighbor to 'control' his dogs. He may get in serious trouble should one if his dogs attacks a child walking their yorkie-poo!

·
8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)
3,451 Posts
You did the right thing. Kudos to you for showing restraint. I'm not sure I could have done so with a big dog bearing down on me. I never go for runs without my pocket knife, I don't carry a gun while running. I guarantee you if a dog gets after me, I may get bitten but he's going home with holes poked in the top of his head!

·
Noob the forum boob
1,150 Posts
tuamike said:
A few years back I was walking my dog in my neighborhood while cc. I was walking by a house that had 2 rottweilers that were very aggressive. He had roughly a 4'-4.5' fence which seemed sufficient as they were fairly large dogs and I didn't see them getting over it. Well he was doing some type of work in the yard and had a pile of dirt right by the fence at about the same hieght. Well I walk by and the dogs didn't notice me or my dog until I am about 40 yards from their dog house (which was a truck cap on the ground...this guy was a real classy). Anyway the larger male simply ran up the dirt mound and over the fence and began running after me and my dog. Immediately the owner came running out of the home trying to call the dog back and yelling that he was not "friendly". I ran about 4 paces and realized that running was a losing plan, so I stood on my dogs leash and drew my firearm and put my sights on the dog. I drew a visual line in the sand (prob around the 5-7 yard range) and waited for him to reach it when the owner's screams finally reached the dog and he stopped. Believe it or not, the owner was pretty pissed at me (even after I reholstered the weapon and showed him my permit) so I called the state police to inform them of what happened. The trooper basically told me "No harm, no foul" and they did not even send someone out (that suprised me). The man finally relented and took his dog home. To this day I wonder if my actions were an over reaction or not. Your thoughts?
Who cares that the owner was pissed he should have controlled his animal better you not only protected your life but you protected your dogs' life as well.

In summary,

Good Job!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
tuamike said:
Not at all. Don't feel bad.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
I would, and I have, drawn down on a dog, twice.

First time was whe we lived in an apartment complex, the onsite manager came knocking one day and asked for my help with a dog that was terrorizing and chasing kids in the complex, and he asked me to bring my gun. This I did, held at the low ready, as we searched for the dog. We found the dog (some kinds of Lab-German Shepherd mix?), barking with teeth bared and trying to rip up someone's back porch fence to get in. I took aim at the dog as the manager tried and eventually lassoed the dog, and we held it until Animal control showed up. By that time, the dog was tied to a tree, and other residents had gathered around at a distance, and the apartment manager and I stood nearby, me with my sidearm holstered. The animal control guys (two trucks showed up) said (probably in jest) that the manager should have had me shoot the dog and saved them the trouble of processing it. Up until it was taken into a cage and loaded into their truck, it was violently barking and baring its teeth at everyone and everything. I believe the dog was euthanized because nobody ever claimed it.

Second time was when the kids on my street were yelling that there was a "mad dog" on the loose, and everyone ran indoors. I was working in my garage at the time, with the garage door open, and went out into the driveway to see what the commotion was all about, when two pitbulls (without collars) rushed me. I literally ran into the kitchen via the garage, had one of my kids call 911 and Animal Control, grabbed a 12-GA that I keep in the kitchen, and watched the dogs roam about in my garage and later went out into the street. About 10 minutes later, when the police arrived, I was in my garage still holding my shotgun, turns out the dogs were around the side of my neighbor's house and the dogs rushed the cop who was still in his cruiser. They were still soundlessly jumping up towards the closed windows of the cruiser when Animal Control showed up.

The cop later told me: "Why didn't you shoot them?" and my answer was "That's why I called you guys for".

Would I draw down on a dog threatening me or my family, if such a situation were to occur again? Absolutely YES.

·
Happy Member :)
5,220 Posts
I've drawn my weapon on a dog twice, once being a firearm and the other being a pocket knife. The firearm incident took place when I was out from of my house smoking a ciggerette didn't have my glasses on and heard a dog running full speed and it sounded as it was getting closer. Since I didn't have my glasses on I wasn't going to shoot recklessly so I jumped onto a vehicle realizing how perfect of timing it was being that the dog was nipping as my heels. It eventually ran away and my brother came out with his firearm to cover me to get inside.

The knife incident happened while I was driving and I saw a guy walking his chocolate lab(looked to be a work dog since it had a vest on) and also saw a German Shepard Bering down on them, turned the car around and jumped out of the car. At this point the Shepard had already bitten the lab once and the guy was trying his all to protect his dog so I got in between them with my pocket knife out just trying to keep some distance between em. The Shepard circled trying to get back to the lab until he finally looked at me and turned and ran away. Thank god I didn't have to kill or harm either one but if it would have been needed I would have done it. Like most of us I love dogs and would hate to kill one but to protect myself or even a perfect stranger I will and I hope most of us would have the same mentality considerig everyone is someone's family member. Sorry for the rant 

·
Registered
83 Posts
Shortly after buying our house in 2008 we had a police officer knock on or door in regards to an animal in distress call. I told the officer that we had heard it, but we could not tell where it was coming from. The police officer then proceeds to tell me how he had shot and killed my neighbors pitbull a year ago. It turns out the neighbors pit killed the previous home owners dog, and when the officer and his partner responded the pit went after the partner. We know now why the previous home owners, who built a beautiful custom home left!

Living in Illinois we can't cc, but on my property I always carry..... Would I draw and or shoot a dog? Without hesitation!!!!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You definitely did the right thing. No question. The only thing I would add, in the future, in addition to calling law enforcement, call Animal Control. Odds are, they'd be the ones to issue a citation and to seize the dog if necessary.

Also, FYI, large dogs like that, especially Rotties and German Shepherds, can clear 6 ft fences with ease, and many can clear 8-10 foot fences, especially if they've been trained for it. A 4 ft fence would be nothing, dirt mound or no. My German Shepherd, as an adolescent, somewhere in the 9-12 month range, came over a 4 ft rail onto the porch. He almost cleared it; the only reason he didn't is that he didn't come straight at it. He ran around the deck and tried to jump the rail while turning.

Last, but not least, with the "bully" breeds, Rotties, Pits, and any other with that short snouted, big, square head, if you have to shoot, try to shoot the body instead of the head; rounds have been known to ricochet off of their very thick skulls, because of the hardness and thickness of the skull, along with the angle of the top of their heads. Other dogs you can take with a head shot, but if you hit one of them and the round fails to penetrate, they're just going to be really mad.

I understand a pet is like family for many people, but their family be damned if it threatens mine.
A lot of people would probably be more upset by their dog being shot than they would a human family member. I can think of a number of family members who would get less sympathy from me than my dog would, but then, she's my kid. :) And some of them are dirtbags.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts