Would You Carry On A Interview

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by PUNISHER, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Yes, I would

47 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. No, I wouldnt

21 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Sorry to hear about your not getting that job. Yep, the market still sucks, but there are jobs out there, it just takes some searching to find 'em.

Hmmm....wonder about that situation: civilians cannot carry into a police station, but can they carry into a fire station?

2. the_mule

the_mule New Member

It's all good, I'm going to school on uncle Sam's dime. Maybe when I'm done the market will be better?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

All we can do is vote the right way....I'm done with "hoping" for a change....

4. Florida law below... Not sure about your state but if you go here... it will tell you.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf Just replace Florida with your state.

790.06 (12) License to Carry Concealed Weapon or Firearm
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05 [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]any detention facility, prison, or jail; [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]any polling place; [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]any school administration building;
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]any elementary or secondary school facility;
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]any area vocational-technical center;
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or non-lethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

@Voodoo:

Doesn't mention fire stations.

6. which would tell me that its not illegal... the last one could be a reason it would be illegal though. Doesnt help much... sorry

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

7. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Just because I believe if you have a permit you should carry everywhere legal doesn't make an irresponsible gun owner. Thats kind of a nasty insult to be throwing around on a gun forum.

And I'm not worried about my interviewer raping me. I've just read more than enough stories about employees going "Postal" and shooting up their old jobs. Or places being robbed, etc.

My opinion that your permit is wasted on you doesn't really open the gate up for mudslinging and calling me the reason gun owners have a bad rep.

8. Vince7003

Vince7003 New Member

I open carred at my interview. Well I did not know I was going to start working for jack ross Ammunition. Went in for some 40 cal walk out with Ammunition and a job. And I can carry at work too

9. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Gentlemen, before this gets out of hand:

When used in examples (such as in this thread), the word "you" refers to the corporate "you", the faceless masses, even when used in a post quoting a prior post and by was of a reponse to it.

The only "irresponsible" gun owners are those that do not believe the law applies to them, and/or are unable to properly use their firearm.

The "more responsible" gun owners are those that believe in knowing the laws as they apply to different situations, and this involves discussions such as those that occur on this Forum.

In between those two are many, many shades of grey, so let's not get upset and take things personally if the message was not addressed personally.

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

@Vince:

Lucky Dog! I wish I had your job!

11. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

You have to remember that companies are private property and they have the right to tell you what you can and cannot do on their property, just as you or I have the right to tell others what they can and cannot do in our homes.

The vast majority of companies have no firearms policies. That is their decision on controlling what happens on their property. When you're going for a job interview, you are trying to show them that you will be a good choice to work there, so you want to do your best to fit in.

Even if their policy does not, yet, apply to you, you have a pretty good idea of whether or not a company allows you to carry at work, since most of the places that do allow open carry. Of the remaining companies, the percentage that allow concealed carry is ridiculously small, which leaves the chances of employees being allowed to carry at work extremely, if not ridiculously, small.

You can intuit, then, that the place you're intereviewing has a no firearms policy for its employees. Since you know that, more than likely, this is the case, choosing to ignore their preference of not having firearms in the workplaces is inherently disrespectful.

Let's say that you were coming to my house and you know, or can reasonably assume for whatever reason, that I don't like guns. I don't have a sign on my door saying that guns are not allowed in my house. You're coming to me because you need something I have to offer. Are you going to carry into my house? Because if the answer is yes, then you are choosing to be disrespectful of my wishes.

As far as "handle the situation and I guarantee you'll get the job", all you have to do is look at all the people who have done exactly that and been fired for it. Walgreens, Kroger, and others I can't remember off hand. Employee shoots bad guy, saves lives, and gets fired. That's your guarantee.

See what I said above.

Unless the person is literally about to be killed, which as a percentage of crimes that you could possibly happen upon is very low, then by calling 911 and being a good witness, you're not watching helplessly. In 99.99% of crimes that you could happen upon, law enforcement would rather you dial 911 and be a good witness than take action to stop it. Only in the likelihood of imminent death of the victim would anyone want you to take action.

Since most interviews are done during the day, where most violent crimes happen at night, the odds are astronomically low that you're going to find yourself looking at that .01% on a job interview, unless it's in a really bad place. Even then, in a really bad part of town, during the day you're still not terribly likely to be put in a situation to save a life.

Exactly. I will park as close to the door as possible, then it stays in the car.

This: http://center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm

I covered this above, but I forgot to mention the why. Companies are liable for everything that happens on their property, including their parking lot. If you shoot someone in their parking lot, the company could find themselves as one of the defendants in a civil suit. They are, actually, more likely to be sued than you are, because they have the pockets to pay out a decent sum.

They'll get sued for some BS "failure to provide adequate security" claim, where the plaintiff will say if the company had provided adequate security of the parking lot, their POS thug of a son, who you shot and killed, would never have been there attempting to attack you or whoever you defended, and therefore wouldn't have been shot and killed by you, their interviewee. And the company will settle, because it's cheaper than defending the lawsuit.

So, despite the fact that you saved someone's life, or everyone's lives, and you're a big hero for shooting the angry ex-employee, you will not, in fact, get hired, because you cost them a lot of money in settling the lawsuit.

Or suppose that in your attempt to be the big hero, you miss and kill someone else. Yeah, that'll get you hired.

No matter what you're facing, outside of your home, you are better off escaping the situation than you are engaging the bad guy. It doesn't matter if the law says you don't have a "duty to retreat". You are better off retreating, calling 911 and being a good witness than you are pulling your gun.

Any good lawyer, police officer or concealed carry instructor should tell you exactly that. Pulling your gun should be your absolute last and only option.

12. alba666

alba666 New Member

Most big companies (especially foreign based) flat ban weapons and ammo anywhere on their property until they are legally barred and shielded from litigation. That is why each state has to have laws preventing vehicle bans with shield clauses (like Florida). Hope the Alabama one gets done this year.

13. Green-Water

Green-Water New Member

This is exactly what I was taught in my CC class. Guess I had one of the good ones.

14. Twiste

Twiste New Member

Well said.

15. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Oh, Hello, Twiste, didn't see you there at first, WELCOME to the Forum!

Please post a *Hi There* in the Introductions section, so other Members can welcome you as well!

Cheers!

16. Graves

Graves New Member

To jonm61, Finally, someone with some common sense. I believe a lot of these guys really think they are Rambo and that they will carry their guns to an interview or work regardless of a no firearms policy and think that they are not being disrespectful by breaking the employers rules. That's not being a smart and responsible gun owner/ccw holder, that is being stubborn and ignorant. I agree with you 100% sir.

17. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

If I have to defend myself on private property I'd rather my firearm there with me and lose a job, then end up 6 feet under with a great job opportunity.

Graves if all you wanna do is sling insults and troll why don't you find another board to do it on.

18. elmerfudge

elmerfudge New Member

19. Green-Water

Green-Water New Member

This thread went nowhere. I think I'm done with this one. Sorry to see it turn out this way. It would be great to be able to disagree but still get along if you know what I mean.

20. stugots

stugots New Member

The only way these places can ban your right to carry concealed is to install metal detectors. Concealed is concealed.... I worked as a Tech for AT&T with the same rule, and with no metal detectors, my 23 was in my Day Planner Concealment Holster wich I carried every day. My opinion is , stay concealed, stay alive. I dont carry for bragging rights, so if someone notices your carrying you are not concealing. I solve this by having a concealment rig for every way i can think ill be dressed or for what i am doing...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012