Would you advise?

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by noob, Jun 14, 2012.

1. noob

noob Noob the forum boob

Ok I'm stealing this thread from another forum.

If you were carrying concealed and met an officer NOT on official duty would you advise said officer you are carrying.

I know some states say you have to disclose in the course of official duty. What about you are walking down the street and see an officer getting a bite to eat would you inform that officer?

Why? Why not?

2. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Why would you walk up to a cop (duty/off duty) and adivse him anyway? I dont get it. You only need to inform an officer that your carrying if he/she asks you...

3. noob

noob Noob the forum boob

In some states you are required to tell the officer before anything that's were this thread is going.

Granted in AZ you don't have to say a thing but if I was stopped for official reasons I would let the Leo know right away that I am carrying. I don't have too but I would. Whereas in say NJ you must tell the officer you have a gun whether he asks or not.

I also should clarify you and the officer in front of you are " shooting the s*** ". Normal conversation would you advise him then?

And for those in states that don't have to advise anyway would you?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  4. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Oh ok thats weird. Yea im in AZ, we still have freedom here, thank god lol. But yes if i was stopped and ask if i was carrying (which has happened already) i would tell the officer but if they dont ask, well i dont tell. Just like own military and governemnt, dont ask dont tell rule.

5. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

It pretty much is a common sense thing. I know most of the LEO's around here, & vice versa, it's a pretty tight neighborhood. And there are probably more people carrying than not. The police & sheriff's know this. So disclosing is a moot point. They already know. Most of this end of the State is pro gun.

Depends on where you are & what Law Enforcement expects of you I suppose.

6. jrlusmc

jrlusmc Member

I live in RI and I wouldn't unless asked, in a traffic stop I would probably just hand my permit with my license, walking down the street and happen to walk by him or just a friendly hello, no I would not

7. noob

noob Noob the forum boob

What about a in depth conversation? Say they are working a guard post and you have business there?

8. Not unless the officer asks. To me there is no reason to make that officer escalate when you tell him you have a gun, because that will happen.

9. jrlusmc

jrlusmc Member

Agreed.. I think it would put him on edge for no reason

10. trouble0214

trouble0214 New Member

11. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

<scene>

You, to your buddy: ...so then Johnny now owes me for last weekend. Oh wait, I see a cop across the street at Starbucks. Hold on, I'll be right back!

You, to the cop: Officer, I just noticed you from across the street. I walked over here to inform you that I am carrying a weapon. I thought you should know.

Cop: Well, if I wasn't suspicious of you before, I am now!

You: Oh and while I'm at it, I might as well tell you that this morning I sat in the park and watched the children play. I don't have kids of my own. Also, last night, I drove home after dinner out but I only had one glass of wine over the course of a 2-hour meal. My buddies and I host a home poker game and we play for real money.

Cop to himself, confused: ***......???

You: Now if you'll excuse me, I just saw another patrolman turn the corner. I'm going to run over there to tell him I'm carrying. Good day!

</scene>

12. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

LOL... Yeah, you don't tell unless it's in an official capacity. Who cares if you're shooting the sh$t. Do you tell everyone you talk to... "Btw, I got a gun concealed on me." Royale... Love the scene! LOL

13. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

No. Only inform the officer if you're approached by the officer in an official capacity. If you're just shooting the breeze, no. If you're getting a citation, yes. If he's interviewing you about certain activities, yes. If he's asking you your opinion about your favorite brand of tennis shoes, no.

14. noob

noob Noob the forum boob

I had a good laugh there thanks

15. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

Too Much Information?

Attached Files:

16. sigpi11

sigpi11 New Member

Nope. Not unless in official capacity. I have actually handed my permit without being asked (it was stuck to my drivers license, only thing officer said was why did you hand he that and have u been convicted of a felony in last 6 months). So I believe it's really would be a waste of yours an his time.

17. Sanchez

Sanchez New Member

Never say anything unless interacting with law enforcement officially such as being stopped for a ticket.

18. Sanchez

Sanchez New Member

And if stopped my m.o. is to put my wallet on dash & hands on steering wheel. I give ccw permit w/ my license & advise I'm carrying. They usually ask where it is & advise me not to make any sudden moves

19. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Colorado is a no need to tell state unless they ask. I started carrying my wallet on the left side of my pants, used to be right, just so I could get to my wallet without accidentally flashing my gun.

20. noob

noob Noob the forum boob

That's a good idea fisher for me it would be backwards since I'm a lefty