Glock Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a gun for pretty much just shooting clay pigeons. Since it will be just for shooting around and not competition I'd rather not pay an arm and leg for one. I was up at Walmart today and saw they had a Remington 870 for $299. It had a 28 or 30 inch barrel. Not sure about the choke. A figured the 870 would be a good starting point and have heard nothing but good things about it.

I'm also open to any other suggestions for around the same price.

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
The Remington 870 is a great all-around gun, including Trap shooting.
I have used mine for Trap and Skeet too.
Although a semi-auto would be easier for Skeet.

Barrel lenght?
For sport shooting, the longer the better. Mine is 28" and I do fine with it.
For HD, you want a shorter barrel. I have an 18" for HD.

One last thing, $299 for it is a good price.
Buy it, be safe and enjoy it!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I can't say anything bad about the 870 but, for me, I don't want to use a pump for clays. I've done it and didn't care for it.
For roughly the same price, look around for a Baikal IZH 27. Baikal is made in Russia. They are built like a tank and have a lot of extras for the money. -- screw-in chokes, good wood, etc.
I paid $575 for mine about ten years ago and have put many hundreds of rounds through it shooting sporting clays. Love it!

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
The 870 (and subsequently the Mossburg 500) are great general purpose shot guns. I've used mine for trap shooting and it works fine but at times is a little cumbersome on second shots. (I may just need to practice with it more :) )

If I were going to get into it seriously I'd probably consider something else. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
472 Posts
For backyard playing around clay shooting the 870 is just fine. Its a great "do all" gun. However if you are going to really get into trap shooting you may consider a over/under shotgun. I shot trap compititions for years and you can spend a lot of $$$$ on good trap guns. But i know several people that shot here and there for fun and used a 870. Choke tubes are the key in yardage. $299 is a great price! Have fun!

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
For Trap fun, a pump would do fine.
Again, a semi-auto makes it easy on the second shot for Skeet. Trap is usually one shot at a time.

For HD, nothing is better than the 870.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Avid waterfowler here. My 870 is the best shot gun I've ever used. My beretta and benni usually sit in the closet. I have literally done nothing but sights on my 870 and it's perfect. I have a synthetic model and I've had it in water, mud, snow and pulled it right out. Knocked it off and killed some game. Great gun! Maybe my favorite.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would I be able to get the tactical 870 for home defense and then buy a longer barrel to swap in for trap/skeet? Seems like that would give me the best bang for my buck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm sure that's doable. I keep mine loaded under my bed. I figure I'll take the 23 and if SHTF the wife has my 6 with the 870 lol. Man the 870 is great! You can't beat it for 350 or whatever. I have 2000 dollar guns that dont perform as well in The field.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.