Worn out recoil spring?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by jebarlow, Jun 9, 2012.

1. jebarlow

jebarlow New Member

I purchased a used Gen2 G21 about 6 years ago. Since then I have put over a thousand rounds and counting through the pistol. How do I tell if the spring is worn out or not or if it should be replaced. Also, with the Gen4 springs work in the older model Glocks?

2. I would say if your not having any problems with the slide feeding and ejecting rounds, I think you're good to go! Although, a recoil spring is relatively inexpensive and a drop in unit. Also, you can install a Gen 4 recoil spring in a Gen 3, but you will need an adapter that fits in the front of the slide. I've seen them available from glockstore.com. Not sure about Gen 1 and 2.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

3. bigben

bigben Member

Not trying to say your wrong by no means, but I thought you could only get an adapter to put a gen3 spring in the gen4. I may be 100% wrong. Would love to get one tho.

4. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

I'm still running the OG recoil spring on my gen 2 G19. Recently took it to Glockmeister to have a look-see and they said it's all good. Don't use the word love much but I do love Glock for their durability.

5. Sorry, my bad on the bum info! You're right, you can go Gen 3 spring to Gen 4 slide with the adapter, but not vice versa. Brain fart! Lol!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  6. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

how to check your recoil spring...

A tip I was taught....

1) Unload and make safe your firearm (no magazine, no ammo loaded, no ammo around)

2) Point the unloaded/empty/safe firearm up at the ceiling

3) Pull back the slide and while grasping the slide, SLOWLY EASE it forward. At the point that it engages the barrel hood GENTLY release your grasp of the slide.

If it continues to close on it's own, then the spring is good. If it hangs up a bit near the barrel hood, or slowly creeps by the barrel hood, then you need to change the recoil spring.

Do these steps without pulling the trigger, and then do it again while holding the trigger to the rear.

Simple test...good results.

Z-

7. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

++

This is exactly how two armorers have checked my springs out when I've asked them too.

8. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

That's how I was taught in my armorer's course.

9. jebarlow

jebarlow New Member

Thank you very much, looks like I am still good. What a great place to learn what I need to know about my Glock!!!!

10. bigben

bigben Member

My bro has a gen3. We were trying to find a way. Lol. It would be awesome!!!

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Moved thread to Gunsmithing...

12. jebarlow

jebarlow New Member

This is great information, this forum is full of information just like this. It just take some asking and some digging.