Working hard to get there

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dutchs, Jun 6, 2012.

1. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

I was just reading about Robxxxx going to mining school and was reminded of all the jobs I have done in the past, I started paining light poles and numbers on the curbs as a kid, when I got older(10) I had a newspaper route, when I learned to drive I started Busing tables and doing dishes! Went in the NAVY, Came home during the Carter admin. NO JOBS, Did lawn care, worked in construction, worked in a Factory on an assembly line for 4 years, Owned my own Commercial Lawn Care and Commercial cleaning business, Moved to Florida with NOTHIN!! Got into the business I am in by working part time night warehouse, got put on full time driving tuck making deliveries,Became a Merchandiser, Got my first pathetic salaried sales job, got my first top notch commissioned sales job, moved into management and still do that! Anybody else have a tough road getting where they are!! MAN!! What a great country!! REALLY!!!

2. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

I too started making money by charging $2.00 to re-paint the address numbers on the curb. I then delivered furniture at a small mom and pop furniture store which my neighbor owned, until I graduated high school. I then changed direction and worked at an auto parts business where I started in their machine shop, then got promoted to parts stocker and eventually was promoted to purchasing agent. I then got a job at a large grocery company warehouse where I pulled orders and eventually got promoted to a forklift driver. I met an old high school buddy who was a cop and he invited me to go on a "ride-along", and I was hooked immediately. I shaved my beard, cut my hair, applied for one of their police officer trainee jobs, and the rest is history.

3. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

I sometimes think it's funny talking to my stepson's friends how they think I was just miraculously plopped into a Managers position in a big company?? Funny !!:rolleyes:

4. Shep482

Shep482 Well-Known Member Supporter

Well I don't know how "tough" my job history is but here goes .
    I had a paper route when I was 13. My first day it rained a lot and I was running a bit late. An old man yelled at me for being late.
    When I was in high school I worked at a full service car wash vacuuming,windows, etc. I learned to drive a stick there. That job could be a buster on a Saturday. We would crank out over a hundred cars an hour at times.
    My worst job was in a fiberglass molding factory. We made doors and side panels for gm cars and mini vans. It was hot as hell working the press molds and if you worked the de-flash sander I ended up coated in fiberglass resin. I would blow my nose and it would be gray. I would go home and take a shower and it would leave a gray ring around the tub.
    I also worked assembly line for Power Wheels ride on toys. Not too bad just monotonous . In between those jobs I worked at grocery stores stocking shelves, painted houses, worked at Cutlery World over Christmas,worked at Wholesale Club( now SAMs club). I still have a wicked scar on my thumb from a box knife I used there.
    I have worked for a major telecommunications company for the last 17 yrs and although it's not what I wanted to be when I grew up,(ninja/Indiana jones) it has paid the bills.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  5. akbluz

akbluz New Member

Started out in Texas at 12y/o doing housekeeping chores for the lady next door (mopping, washing windows) for $0.50. Worked in a grocery store stocking shelves for $1.00/hr. Worked for an uncle building houses (same $1.00/hr but more hours). Married high school sweetheart. Went to work at a chemical plant as an Operator trainee $2.65/hr - big bucks! Worked at a local shipyard and moved into their Data Processing group for 7 years - got my bachelors degree while there. Computer manager for the local hospital. Computer programmer for chemical company. Moved into Maintenance Planning and transferred to the oil patch in Alaska. Retired as Maintenance Supervisor on the North Slope (oilfield). Have come full circle in 50 years stocking shelves as a volunteer at the local Food Pantry. Seems like it was only yesterday in some ways - in other ways it seems like a lifetime ago.

6. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Only in America folks!! Only in America!! Keep bringing the stories folks!

7. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

From about 10 to 16 i was delivering newspapers, mowing lawns, snow shoveling driveways, doing any odd job the neighbors would let me.

At 16 went to work in a warehouse for K's Merchandise. At 17 I was ready to sign up for the Army, but my parents said no-way, and convinced me to do college before I signed up (I figured that would get me into officer school faster). While in college......at 19 went to work as a stock boy at Sav-A-Lot, by 22 I was the assistant manager for the store working 50+ hours and doing full time college.

At 23 I had several doors all open at once....I signed up for delayed entry program to go into Army Intelligence, within days I got an offer for the State Police and an offer for a small town PD. I was engaged at the time and I chose the small town PD because the State Police would not tell me where I would have to move until 12 weeks into the 26 week academy and while I really wanted to do Army Intelligence it would have ended my relationship with my wife.

At 25 I switched to another PD, and at 27 I switched PDs again and went to work as an Investigator for a state police agency.

I told myself I wanted to make Sergeant by 35 and at 32 I got promoted to Sgt, now I'm hoping to make Lieutenant before 40.

I can't say I had a tough road by any means, God has always blessed me with everything I ever needed and then some.

8. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Me too, just didn't know it sometimes!! Thanks for your service bhale and best of luck making lieutenant!!

9. If I told you......I'd have to kill you. :)

10. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Well, Nevermind!! Thanks anyway Mike............

11. I just had seriously mis-guided youth(pre 25). :(

12. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Hell, aside from the computer geeks, who didn't :eek:

I was just lucky I didn't get caught on 99.9% of the crap I pulled up until about 21 or 22.

13. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

I was voted least likely to live past 21. HAHAHA I'm 53!! Bunch of dummies!!