Woman sues cop for saving her life

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by noob, Jun 21, 2012.

1. G17_Ian

G17_Ian New Member

This is pathetic... This is what is wrong with America today, everyone is just tryin to find a quick way to get rich! I hope she gets laughed right out of court, with her snake of a lawyer who thought this would be a good lawsuit to file.

2. Dan75719

Dan75719 New Member

"Failed to protect public safety...Injured as a result of the officer's acts?!" Seriously? The officer just saved her life. That sounds like the officer protected her safety to me. I study psychology so I fully believe that an incident like this can be a traumatic event like it said in the article. Having your life threatened would be scary to anyone. But to sue over the cop saving your life and say it resulted in injury...very sad. She should be happy she is alive.

3. mckm/Glock36

mckm/Glock36 New Member

Just wrong! Work for your money like everyone else!

4. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Like I always say "no good deed goes unpunished". If there is any justice the victim, her husband and attorney will be thrown out of court.

5. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Boom! Headshot! Lol. Some people these days are ridiculous.

6. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

The officers involved should counter sue for deflamation and pain/suffering of being sued for doing the right thing.

7. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

Daaaaaaaayem, that is worse than the lady getting burned by hot coffee @ mc donalds ...

8. gen4_G21

gen4_G21 New Member

Unreal... Just another example of today's society. "hey let's sue for any and everything"!

I've got it guys!!! I'll sue the state I live in because I have to get up every morning to work and pay my bills and house payment!! Think that's a good case? I'll win?? Whatever man, I work for my money and if someday I'm blessed with great wealth, then that would be great. I till then I'll be getting up and working!

People just flat out make me sick.

9. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

So, should he have just let the guy slit her throat? This is absolutely crazy, I'm not completely taking a stance as with any news story there may be information left out. But if all of the details are correct then this is just stupid.

10. mikecu

mikecu New Member

I think you hit the nail on the head with that statement.

It probably only took one attorney to say "You have a case and they will probably settle and by the way I only get paid if we win."

11. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

It's New Jersey. What do you expect? This won't even see a settlement. A judge will throw this out faster than she can say "Ouch. My neck". She is going to end up oweing the attorney fees and pay court costs. I promise you fellow officers will "persuade" that attorney or her's or even her to drop the suit.

12. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

This is along the same audacious thinking as a burglar suing a homeowner because he injured himself in your home while trying to steal from you.

I often wish our judges could be more empowered to simply say, "Get the f* out of my courtroom with that sh*!" And I hope this one does.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  13. noob

noob Noob the forum boob

yup great citizens of nj. Officer Barrett saved this lady's life, what's next I'll sue the emts cuz they broke my ribs while performing CPR on me

14. deathadder5150

deathadder5150 New Member

this is an outrage. A hero cop being sued for helping a citizen in need? even if he didn't announce his office, he obviously made a split second choice to fire the weapon and save the victim's life. This offender had no regard for the ladie's safety. He was already on parole and wanted for violation, plus the new charge for shoplifting. He had no intentions on going back to jail. The cop did the right thing.

15. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

The worst part is that that's happened and the burglar won. More than once. THAT is what's wrong with our society. Well, part of it. :rolleyes:

And it's a good thing I'm not a judge. I would probably throw out the majority civil cases that came before me and I would sentence every criminal to the maximum I could, first offense or not.

As for this, since the Supreme Court ruled that law enforcement is not responsible for protecting individual citizens, that part is not going anywhere. If she was injured by the officer, then pay her medical bills.

PTSD? Of course she's suffering from PTSD. Who wouldn't be? That's got nothing to do with the officer or his actions.

16. Frivolous lawsuits are one thing law Enforcement deal with a good bit. Sadly sometimes the dept will still pay a settlement if it's cheaper then going to court and fighting it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  17. c1328chase

c1328chase Member

Hmm. Never heard of Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. PTSD, yes, PTSS, can't even find it on google. ;)

Secondly, they were "dramatized". Crazy, we're they shooting an infomercial? Sounds like the lawyer should have swapped one of his law classes for an extra English class to learn that the word he was looking for was traumatized, and that PTSD is real while PTSS, no one has ever f*ing heard of that. Idiots!

dramatized - past participle, past tense of dram·a·tize (Verb)
    Verb:
    Adapt (a novel) or present (a particular incident) as a play or movie: "Miss Akins intends to dramatize my book".
    Present in a vivid or striking way: "he used scare tactics to dramatize the deficit".

18. The woman, and the lawyer should both be shot. Bastards! Worthless people. :mad: I only hope our judicial system has not gotten to the point of stupidity that this would even be allowed to go to trial. Did I say worthless people already? Oh well, it is worth repeating.

Jim