Windicator .357

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Shep482, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Shep482

Shep482 Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone own or owned one of these? Thoughts,reviews?

image-1335479570.jpg

Of course they were out of stock. God forbid Gander Mtn. Would get more than one of anything they advertise.

2. Mary

Mary New Member

I have one. It does have a very long, hard trigger pull. It took a long time before I could use it d/a--had to s/a for a long time. After using another revolver for a while(getting ready for tx chl instructor course), I pulled the EAA out the other day and it was easier for me to use. Maybe it was just the practice that I got with the other revolvers made it easier-I don't know. I got it at Cabellas for a very good price! Either they had mismarked it--or they were closing them out-but I got mine for $179!!! I have seen them marked for $349 onlline & other stores. It won't be my primary, but I will use it enough to stay proficient with it

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I have one. It seems like a solidly built revolver, if somewhat roughly built.

The trigger pull was horrendous! Opened it up, did a polish job on everything (even the crane and all pins and rods!). Helped significantly with the grittiness of the action as well as the tendency of the hand to snag and fail to function the cylinder. But did nothing for the horrible trigger pull from hell!

Am currently working on a cooperative effort with Wolff Gunsprings to experiment with various spring kits so they can develop a set of springs for a spring replacement kit for this pistol.

Very shortly they should be offering a spring replacement kit for the S&W Bodyguard-38 line of revolvers, and I did all the testing and fitting for them.

Because the Windicator is such a heavy revolver, a lot of the recoil impulse is absorbed by the mass of the pistol, making it fun to shoot even in .357Mag!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  4. Shep482

I would still like a pocket revolver for summer light clothing. I used to have an S&W 642. I wish I still did. I just don't have the funds right now due to recent purchases. Not sure how the Windacator would compare besides the obvious concealed hammer of the 642. I wish they had one so I could have at least held it.

5. Mary

Mary New Member

So glad to hear it wasn't just me!!

It's a little heavy for me to carry--It is heavier than my 26--WAY heavier than the LCp!

6. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Yes, it is a very heavy revolver, which in my mind is a good thing: helps tame the recoil outta that short barrel when pushing .357Magnums thru it!

7. Mary

Mary New Member

I like the weight for shooting it--but not for carrying!

8. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I've had 3 of them, one in .357 and the other two in .38. My first .38 was good. The action was smooth; heavy, but smooth. My second .38 was rough. It felt like sandpaper every time I pulled the trigger. The .357 was fine, but the recoil was to heavy for me. I hated shooting it and ultimately sold it. There have only been two guns I've ever hated shooting. The first was a Heritage Stealth in .40, which kicked like an angry mule every time I pulled the trigger and was just all around horrible. I hated that gun. The Windicator .357 I only hated shooting. I loved the gun. :)

9. Shep482

Looks like I'll keep saving for the 642. Read a few other reviews online and seems to be the same as here. Thanks everyone.