Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Member1
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few weeks ago i bought 2 boxes of the 100 round value packs for 23 bucks each at walmart. Today i bought one more box. Was planning on shooting 300 rounds this saturday morning with my buddy.

Loaded up my G19g4 mag and blasted 16 rounds at a steel plate. Ive been on a business trip for 3 weeks so I was anxious to shoot!

Shot my second mag and had my first ever malfunction. Heard click and the primer pop...kept it pointed downrange for like 30 seconds and then attempted to rack the slide...it wouldnt budge! Tried pulling as hard as i could...nuttin. My buddy suggested to take the slide off...we did that and then tried to get the barrel out...stuck. The casing wedged up past the chamber and into the bore and the primer was sticking out the butt of the cartridge. I got the range master and he whacked the barrel oit with a mallet n wooded dowel...but the round was still stuck in the chamber.

No damage and reassembled. Shot again and same thing after a few shots! Went through the same exact process.

Junked that box of ammo and opened a new box. Same thing happened again with a different box of 100!

So now I have at least 2 boxes of ammo I dont want to shoot. I'm not sure if they are the two boxes I bought today or if one of them was the box I bought weeks ago.

What do you suggest I do? Deal with walmart for a refund or contact Winchester and hope they take care of me somehow? Bottom line, it could have really damaged my gun or been a safety issue. Not being able to eject a misfire is pretty serious...not like i would use it for defense ammo but still...

Thanks all.

Attachments

·
Member1
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ohh forgot to add there is no hole from the primer area to ignite the powder. Not sure if u can see that. Ill post a pic of the cartridge side view later.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is a problem Winchester has had with allegedly a small lot of white box ammo. In addition to the poor QC of production, these cases don't have ignition holes cut in the brass. You are only popping a primer. The glock breech face should hold but you will have all kinds of crap blow back in the firing pin channel. The rounds will be replaced or refunded so hang on to them and the original box which has the lot number on it. Due to severe ammo shortages, Winchester outsourced production to Russian and other soviet bloc countries. Check the ammo carefully before shooting.

·
Noob the forum boob
1,150 Posts
Tdog02 said:
Check the ammo carefully before shooting.
As a newer shooter I have to ask what exactly should I look for?

·
Premium Member
8,653 Posts
My partner just had 6 dud .40 cal. on the dept range. All from the same area of the box as he had 6 clicks in a row on the same mag.

Reloaded them twice with still no results. Dimples on the primers, too.

Also WWB.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've been shying away from Winchester more and more. Both in 9mm & .22LR. Their ammo seems a bit more problematic and dirty then most.

I was happy to see this week 100rd federal 9mm boxes at walmart for $19.97! Can't beat that! Plus ive never had a problem with federal except though a keltec, but that was to be expected haha.

Attachments

·
Glocker
416 Posts
I cannot stand white box,Really mucks up my guns. Russian surplus shoots cleaner, and had never failed me. I no longer buy Winchester ammo

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I totally agree with Fuzzy. Can't stand white box. But the Remington 357 I bought last was just as bad. Ah, so glad I load my own now.

·
515 Posts
wow,good to know!
we just bought a 1000 rounds at a gun show.
we went through almost 500 rounds do far with it,no problems....knock on wood!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I cannot stand white box,Really mucks up my guns. Russian surplus shoots cleaner, and had never failed me. I no longer buy Winchester ammo

ill agree with that. ive only shot about 100 rounds of russian ammo (tula) and was very surprised with how not dirty my gun was after compared to wwb the trip before.

·
Registered
100 Posts
noob said:
As a newer shooter I have to ask what exactly should I look for?
Pull each round and look it over before inserting in mag. First, look at the primer area. Is it flush, seated properly and not wrinkled or crimped? Good, moving on. Look at the case rim. Is it turned without bends or gouges on the lip? Good, move up the case and look for anything out of the ordinary. When you see a case neck (mouth) crushed down you will know it. Then check the projectile, (bullet) is it seated to proper depth? Is it in the right way? This doesn't have to take a long time but you should do it every time you stuff a mag.

For personal defense rounds. Some people think I'm too critical, but these rounds have to be 100% or they go to the range bag. I do what is mentioned above then I use a digital scale and weigh them, and a caliper to verify overall length. Then I lay them down and roll them to insure uniform circumference.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Pull each round and look it over before inserting in mag. First, look at the primer area. Is it flush, seated properly and not wrinkled or crimped? Good, moving on. Look at the case rim. Is it turned without bends or gouges on the lip? Good, move up the case and look for anything out of the ordinary. When you see a case neck (mouth) crushed down you will know it. Then check the projectile, (bullet) is it seated to proper depth? Is it in the right way? This doesn't have to take a long time but you should do it every time you stuff a mag.

For personal defense rounds. Some people think I'm too critical, but these rounds have to be 100% or they go to the range bag. I do what is mentioned above then I use a digital scale and weigh them, and a caliper to verify overall length. Then I lay them down and roll them to insure uniform circumference.
well you cant be too critical with something that might save your life

·
Noob the forum boob
1,150 Posts
Tdog02 said:

Thanks like I said I'm a newer shooter your post has opened my eyes to another aspect that I need to watch for

·
Just One Glock
22 Posts
Did a little research online and Tdog is absolutely correct. Many people are having the same problem with no flash holes in the brass. Totally seises the weapon.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/39355-warning-possible-problem-with-wwb-9mm/

Would Wwb reapond if I type them an email with pictures and box numbers?
I think you would get a response if you sent them some of the cases missing the flash holes. Had a buddy here in Texas have a similar problem (with Rem ammo), sent them 1 bad round, received a box of 100 and a letter of apology from Remington. Just let them know the lot #s from the boxes and how much of it you purchased. Good luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
jcrntx said:
I think you would get a response if you sent them some of the cases missing the flash holes. Had a buddy here in Texas have a similar problem (with Rem ammo), sent them 1 bad round, received a box of 100 and a letter of apology from Remington. Just let them know the lot #s from the boxes and how much of it you purchased. Good luck!
Always the thing to do, most ammo companies will take care of their customers. WWB was supposed to be a limited problem, had not heard about the Remington stuff. Since 2007 they are finding it hard to keep pace with demand.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts