Glock Firearms banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dude
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used the 147 grain Winchester white box jacketed hollow pont defense ammo? I just bought a box of 50 for around $20...which is a lot cheaper than the 20 for $24 of the Federal premium I was buying... Is the Winchester any good?

The price sure is, and they look to be of high-quality..

·
Sheep Dog-MCLMM
430 Posts
Does the box have all black lettering?

·
Dude
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reliable? That's my main concern...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Reliable? That's my main concern...
Well, I did carry this ammo briefly and it shot ok, fairly accurate, no hiccups and you are right, the price is great compared to others, but as the ole saying goes, "you get what u pay for". I watched a video on YouTube from tnoutdoors9(he does a lot of tests and reviews on different brands of ammo). He shot the round thru a G19 from 10ft at 4 milk jugs filled with water and newspaper with a 5th jug with just water all lined back to back and the round went ALL the way thru!! He said he tested this particular brand and round because of reports of the bullet becoming clogged with media and not expanding, thus making the bullet mimic a FMJ! Not what you want out of a defensive or carry ammo! Check out the video! I now use Hornady Critical Defense 115gr. for home defense and Critical Duty 135gr. for carry. I may try out the Duty in +P. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Our local Walmart has that this week- first time ever. I bought some just to shoot at the range. I've tested these 'bargain boxes' of hollow points before (Remington/federal/Winchester) on my in-law's property & they are shaky for self defense... I would stick with high quality ammo that typically costs more for less... There's a lot more engineering, research, and quality control behind premium ammo. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Our local Walmart has that this week- first time ever. I bought some just to shoot at the range. I've tested these 'bargain boxes' of hollow points before (Remington/federal/Winchester) on my in-law's property & they are shaky for self defense... I would stick with high quality ammo that typically costs more for less... There's a lot more engineering, research, and quality control behind premium ammo. Just my opinion.
+1 on that! Totally agree!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've shot around 300 Winchester white box thru the gen4 g21 without issue, fmj and jhp. I use the fmj at the range and the jhp when we're out hog hunting. Infact thats the only ammo I've ran thru the glock except for i box of the hornadys just to see how it liked I'm. But if I'm just carrying it around in my car (don't have my cc but I live in Texas) I'm running hornadys. Might switch to hydroshocks tho

·
Registered
479 Posts
WWB (Winchester White Box) is IMO one of the dirtiest rounds I've fired, second only to Remi UMC. I avoid them whenever I have a choice. They shoot fine for target/practice though.

I personally would not use anything that cheap for CC/SD.

·
Hiding in plain sight....
18,120 Posts
Hoopinator said:
Here they are...
I haven't seen those locally, maybe I will soon. I have shot the 115 grain FMJ ones for competition, but never the JHP.

I would stick with the good rounds for defense. An extra 20-30 bucks is nothing when you need it to count. Having said that, I would rather have those WWB JHP over a plinking round any day.

·
Dude
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It shoots straight through a 2x4" which is NOT that great. Same size hole as a FMJ... Won't be carrying these...I'll save them for a watermelon!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hoopinator said:
It shoots straight through a 2x4" which is NOT that great. Same size hole as a FMJ... Won't be carrying these...I'll save them for a watermelon!
Right on... They might also be good for a zombie apocalypse.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I got a box of the UMC jhp a few weeks back shot fine no probs never seen these wwb in jhp just fmj's I carry zombie max tho! And in my 23 its speer gold dot jhp's

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
tnoutdoors9 has a video on this round, and it didn't even expand in the ballistics gel. So for slef-defense? ehhh I wouldn't use it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.