Wife vs CC

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by cls33398, May 25, 2013.

1. Mikezglock17

Mikezglock17 New Member

Swing by the gun shop on the way back from the range. Let her check some guns out! Be sure and show her a G26!

2. DeanPrichard

DeanPrichard New Member

My wife is also a little hesitant about me carrying. We both got our CC's together, mainly she got hers cause we figured it was smart and the lifetime won't be offered much longer here. She hates when I bring the gun out in the home and we have had many conversations on why I feel it necessary to be within arms reach while in the home. Slowly I think she is coming around, but what I feel helped tremendously was have her shoot it and get the feel for it. She was very scared and hesitant but started coming around slowly. She doesn't understand why I need to buy ammo and on this subject we butt heads constantly.

Sorry about your troubles, hope she comes around man.

3. Reading this really brightened my day - good for both of you!

Maybe spend some time together before range day, to review proper gun safety, and what to do/expect when at the range.

Good luck to you both.

4. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I'm sorry but as a wife myself I accept my husband for who he is and what he does. You conceal carry, your wife should support you ! Do you ask her to change what she does ?

5. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Just read thru all the posts and see your wife wants to support you. I wish you luck !

6. cls33398

cls33398 New Member

I appreciate all of the input from everyone!

7. scorbing

scorbing New Member

First of all, don't get angry! - That will make her even more uncomfortable. Have patience and try your best to keep your cool and explain things to her in a nice, relaxing manner. Pretend you are talking to a child.

Some people, like my family for example, are against guns and no matter what you tell them, they will never understand and they will never accept them.

I had this same conversation with my religion-obsessed uncle the other day as well as my mother and other family members and the example I gave them was this:

I told them that EVERY DAY they all carry a weapon with them. A weapon that is worst than any handgun or rifle in the world. A weapon capable of killing multiple people at the same time, should they use it for that purpose. They then asked me what that was and I said:

Your Car.

I asked them if they would take their car and run people on the road with it and they said no, that they would never do such a thing so I then asked them why they wouldn't take their car and kill people with it and they all responded by saying that they are not crazy. That they are very responsible people who would never hurt or kill innocent people, so I then told them that there is no difference between that car and a a gun because the car will not kill anyone unless the person behind the wheel drives it towards a target. A car must be driven just like a gun must be shot and that it is up to the person behind the wheel or behind that trigger to kill or not kill.

Guns don't fire themselves. A trigger must be pulled by a finger and the gun must be pointed towards a target. They don't find targets by themselves.

Moral of the story is:

If you are a crazy, irresponsible maniac with a thirst for blood, you will kill anything and anyone, whether it's with a car, a kitchen knife, a machete, a broom stick, a pencil, a shovel, a pressure cooker or a gun. It doesn't matter what it is. Anything can be used as a weapon, but is is up to YOU to use it as such. If you are a sane, responsible individual, she has nothing to worry about. ;)

8. cls33398

cls33398 New Member

Awesome analogy right there with the car! I agree 200%

9. I've carried everyday since getting my CCW 4 years ago. At first, my wife thought I was a little crazy, but slowly came to accept it.
    Last month she took her CCW class and applied for her CCW so don't give up hope. :)

10. tylersdad

tylersdad New Member

Thanks for this. Very well said.

This is ammunition I will take with me everywhere.

11. scorbing

scorbing New Member

My GF hated guns too and once she shot my Glock, she fell in love to the point I had to go buy her one!!!!

Humans are naturally afraid of the unknown.

12. cls33398

cls33398 New Member

Well, our outing went pretty good. I had to temper my expectations before we went out. She loved the sig 522, even the bushmaster. She didn't really like the recoil from the G23. I explained safety to her before she even fired a shot. It turns out that although her father kept weapons in the house, they were always a "no touching" kind of thing. He never took the time to let his kids shoot them, explained safety, etc...so slowly but surely, I will get her there!

13. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

You are doing a great job. Just keep going slow with her. Trust me ... She will let you know when she's ready to go faster. :)

And yeah .40 cal is a bit much for a beginner. :)

14. scorbing

scorbing New Member

If you really want her to fall in love with shooting, get her an M&P 22. My GF hated the recoil of both my SD9VE and my Glock 22 so I got her one of those and now she is totally in love with the whole shooting thing, to the point that she keeps begging me to take her shooting again!!!!

The M&P 22 has extremely low recoil and women like that.

15. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

And then we become shooters and love to shoot anything. :D

16. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Active Member

Ahem............SOME women like it, lol. I'll take a .40 over a .22 any day :)

17. cls33398

cls33398 New Member

:) thanks.

18. scorbing

scorbing New Member

Oh yeah, without a doubt I would too, but for a woman who is beginning to shoot and has no experience and is afraid of the recoil, an M&P 22 or any .22 is a perfect choice. Once she gets more comfortable with the shooting then you can increase the power (caliber) slowly until she gets where she feels right.

19. RRoss

RRoss If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it! Lifetime Supporting Member

Well then....I guess the women have spoken! ;)

20. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

I agree! But I'd say that's A good start for all new shooters.