why not carry?

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by littleposerfish, Apr 26, 2012.

1. littleposerfish

littleposerfish New Member

ok, here it is. my wife was all in on getting her handgun permit. done really great in class and of course on the range. BUTT! now that she has it, she want carry!? has anyone else had this issue, or knows someone that knows someone who want after obtaining said license?

2. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Why waste the time money and effort if your not going to use it

3. littleposerfish

thats what i said! but seems like something has changed,but she aint said nothing about it. i am wondering how many others have had this problem.

4. Maybe there is a hint of worriness that is stopping her. Thats the only thing I can think of. Maybe have her carry around the neighborhood, build up her courage. I'm just throwing ideas out here for you.

5. littleposerfish

yeah, i asked her what was up. i will tell you a story on why she wanted a permit. when she was married to her ex husband, he was seeing this 17 year old girl. yeah i said that right, he was 40 and it was one of his students. one night while they where driving a car ran her off the road,"she was driving", and the father pulled him out of the driver seat and beat his ass." thumbs up to the father by the way!". then when the truth came out about what was going on, the father was stalking her," probably wanted to tell her what was up, idk". anyway she has been spooked since then. i want her to protect herself when i am not around. she practices very much at the range, and knows how to handle her gun. i just wish she would come out of the shell.

6. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

My wife won't carry but I would like her to get her CCL mainly Incase I forget a firearm in my car and she needs to take my car for the day, like if hers is in the shop. This way if she got pulled over for some reason where they ended up searching the car, she would be fine. Plus, in time, maybe she will want some "cute girly looking Gun" to feel more safe.

7. Augi

Augi New Member

My wife went through the class, has her fingerprint card, passport photos and paperwork filled out. She just won't send it in. I even got her the gun she wanted (non Glock :eek:) I was going to send it for her but I have no idea where the packet is at.

8. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

She might have to work herself up to it. Here's what I did to get comfortable. Bought my holster and wore it around the house for about a week and then out and about in town. After that wore my gun (empty) around the house for about another week. The one night when I was coming back from a lesson at the range, I realized that if my car broke down on the side of the road at 10:00 at night and my gun was in my range bag unloaded - I could be in big trouble. After that it's on anytime I leave the house.

Heres my point, as women we aren't used to handling guns growing up for the most part so we have to get confident in our own abilities before we can take the plunge. Just keep encouraging her and be patient. :)

9. Both of your cases are related, and here is my take on what is going on:

Your wives are into this because you are. They want to be into it, and in many ways they clearly are. However to someone not as engulfed in this culture as we are the grave reality of carrying a weapon brings on its own sense of morbid responsibility. Fish, do not pressure her. If anything let it go and schedule a few days to go to the range over the next 2-3 months. Let her work herself into it. Augi, send the paperwork in for her and then do the same ;)

10. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

I agree. The ladies have to come to the "lifestyle" on their own and it has to be for their own reasons. It just takes us a little longer than guys sometimes. I would feel naked without mine now.

11. A woman is like a good diesel engine, may take her a long time to warm up but once she does...

12. Augi

Augi New Member

My wife does not like guns in the house. I really don't blame her either. Her ex put a gun to her head twice, once in front of the kids.
    Still, I don't ever want her to be a victim again.
    Thankfully, she finally let me buy a gun after 20 years and 4 home break-ins.
    She's the best!

13. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

Well said GAgal, my wife had to warm up to guns at first, then started shooting, then started liking to shoot, then when I signed up my CCW class she wanted to go. I told her that she was going to carry if she took the class, after a few discussions about carrying she decided that is what "she" wanted to do. It worked out great for me and she is happily armed every day, we did have to change her carry gun to suite her preference.