Glock Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'am new to the 40 s&w just buying a M&P 40c for my girlfriend and I love the round so far, the snappiness doesn't really bother me but I am curious on what makes it snappy...

I am sure this is a obvious question but I haven't been shooting handguns for as long as others so I'am genuinely curious.

Thanks!!

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
It's the roots of it's origin. The ballistic performance of the .38 Special +P was the baseline figure for the cartridge development that became the .40 S&W.

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
It's a lot of powder in a small casing. Next question.

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SeventiesWreckers said:
It's the roots of it's origin. The ballistic performance of the .38 Special +P was the baseline figure for the cartridge development that became the .40 S&W.
Thanks!!

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
There's a couple factors that contribute to the 40 S&W being "snappy". One is the guns that it's chambered in, they were originally 9x19mm guns and so the weight of the gun is geared to the lighter 9x19mm round instead of the heavier 40cal round. Another reason is slide velociety. The 40S&W works at very high pressures and that gives you a very high slide velociety.
I'm sure if you were to chamber the 40 S&W in a 45acp gun and give it enough recoil spring to slow the slide velociety down it'd not be as bad as it is.
Personally I think we'd have been fine with a 9x19mm +P or 45acp and really don't have a "need" for a middle of the road cartridge like the 40 S&W. Now the full power 10mm Auto is a totally different case. Magnum power in a semi-auto is awesome and you can feed it the "Fed Lite" load if you wish to have 40 S&W ballistics.

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TNFrank said:
There's a couple factors that contribute to the 40 S&W being "snappy". One is the guns that it's chambered in, they were originally 9x19mm guns and so the weight of the gun is geared to the lighter 9x19mm round instead of the heavier 40cal round. Another reason is slide velociety. The 40S&W works at very high pressures and that gives you a very high slide velociety.
I'm sure if you were to chamber the 40 S&W in a 45acp gun and give it enough recoil spring to slow the slide velociety down it'd not be as bad as it is.
Personally I think we'd have been fine with a 9x19mm +P or 45acp and really don't have a "need" for a middle of the road cartridge like the 40 S&W. Now the full power 10mm Auto is a totally different case. Magnum power in a semi-auto is awesome and you can feed it the "Fed Lite" load if you wish to have 40 S&W ballistics.
Thank you, a very good explanation..

I personally do like the 40 S&W but just wasn't sure the reasoning behind the snappiness.

Now 10mm I would love to get my hands on one... It seems none of my LGS seem to carry them in stock.

·
"The Sarge"
668 Posts
A few facts:

The 40S&W caliber descended from the 10mm. A quest was under way for the "ideal" modern LE caliber. A reduction in recoil from the 10mm plus less wear/tear on pistols and 9mm like capacity in similar sized pistols was sought. The original 40 S&W loading was a 180gr bullet.

Both the 9mm and 40S&W operate at the standad pressure of 35,000psi. The 40, being a larger/heavier bullet with more powder, will have more impulse and felt recoil than 9mm. Bill

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thesarge said:
A few facts:

The 40S&W caliber descended from the 10mm. A quest was under way for the "ideal" modern LE caliber. A reduction in recoil from the 10mm plus less wear/tear on pistols and 9mm like capacity in similar sized pistols was sought. The original 40 S&W loading was a 180gr bullet.

Both the 9mm and 40S&W operate at the standad pressure of 35,000psi. The 40, being a larger/heavier bullet with more powder, will have more impulse and felt recoil than 9mm. Bill
Thank you!!

I've been shooting the 180's out of it so far...

·
Registered
3 Posts
What I have found out is the 40 is a way hotter round than most for some reason my glock 22 would not hold a group at 25 yards but my 26 would hit with in a 5" group still not great but for a first time pistol shooter that was pretty good to me now I hit with a 17 a 2" group at 35 years which is great to me other may think different but practice makes perfect

·
Registered
227 Posts
I admit I don't have a lot of "caliber" experience under my belt, so far I've shot 10-11 different calibers ranging from 17hmr to 8x56r. For range shooting with pistols, and not considering accuracy, I really didn't care for 40SW & 380ACP. I realize they have their place in real world scenarios but for some reason I've felt they were needlessly snappy and uncomfortable. Of course these are all subjective terms but I've had much relaxing & joyous shooting with 45ACP, 10mm, 9mm & 38Special... The 10mm was an oxymoron wrapped in a paradox for me - it should have been "worse" than 40SW, but I freaking loved it... :)

cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts