Glock Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to order a G34 Gen4, but, i see allot of competition shooters use the Gen 3 and not Gen 4, how come? Are there more after market accessories and springs and such? Is it all about the grip modification people do to the Gen3? Trigger difference?

Why im asking is, if i wanted to get into competition shooting, am i better of getting the Gen 3? I like the grip on the gen4 and big mag release.

Any input would be awesome, the more meat on the bone the better, Thanks!

/Jimmy

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
pettwall said:
I'm about to order a G34 Gen4, but, i see allot of competition shooters use the Gen 3 and not Gen 4, how come? Are there more after market accessories and springs and such? Is it all about the grip modification people do to the Gen3? Trigger difference?

Why im asking is, if i wanted to get into competition shooting, am i better of getting the Gen 3? I like the grip on the gen4 and big mag release.

Any input would be awesome, the more meat on the bone the better, Thanks!

/Jimmy
I like the gen 4 a lot better myself. Many have the gen 3 because they bought it before the gen 4 came out. Most accessories can be used in a gen 3 or 4 with certain exceptions.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Gen 4 34 here and very happy. The trigger group for the Gen 4 is unique to Gen-4. That said there are plenty of Gen-4 aftermarket parts if you decide to modify. Gen-4 also comes with three mags instead of two.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, seems more and more that the gen 4 is the way to go, talked to a few competitors and they have gen 3 due to the grip modification they make to them plus all the aftermarket abilities there is for the gen 3. Personally I prefer the thinner grip on gen 4. Thanks guys for the input.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
pettwall said:
Well, seems more and more that the gen 4 is the way to go, talked to a few competitors and they have gen 3 due to the grip modification they make to them plus all the aftermarket abilities there is for the gen 3. Personally I prefer the thinner grip on gen 4. Thanks guys for the input.
If you are looking into going competition shooting I would go gen 3. Reason being that mag wells are easier to find for gen 3 if you decide to make it a race gun. Also you may want to put a different recoil assembly in your gun to make it shoot flatter. The gen 4 spring is reliable but for a competition you may want to play around with spring weights to make it shoot softer and flatter. The only plus the gen 4 will give you is the bigger mag release, witch you could upgrade on the gen 3.

All of this is just my opinion from competing with a gen 4 35. Really it comes down to what you like and what you want to do with it. Good luck and I hope you get into competition shooting

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
If you are looking into going competition shooting I would go gen 3. Reason being that mag wells are easier to find for gen 3 if you decide to make it a race gun. Also you may want to put a different recoil assembly in your gun to make it shoot flatter. The gen 4 spring is reliable but for a competition you may want to play around with spring weights to make it shoot softer and flatter. The only plus the gen 4 will give you is the bigger mag release, witch you could upgrade on the gen 3.

All of this is just my opinion from competing with a gen 4 35. Really it comes down to what you like and what you want to do with it. Good luck and I hope you get into competition shooting
You can convert the gen 4 spring to gen 3. I have a stainless steel gen 3 spring for competition on my Glock 35 gen 4.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
jimmyalbrecht said:
You can convert the gen 4 spring to gen 3. I have a stainless steel gen 3 spring for competition on my Glock 35 gen 4.
You are right, but that's just one more thing you have to put it that could go wrong. I ran the same setup in my gen 4 35 before I sold it. I loved that gun and retreat selling it, but if I could do it over I would have went gen 3. Or both lol.

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
You are right, but that's just one more thing you have to put it that could go wrong. I ran the same setup in my gen 4 35 before I sold it. I loved that gun and retreat selling it, but if I could do it over I would have went gen 3. Or both lol.
Never had a problem. It's not a moving part, it simply makes the part that retains the guide rod smaller.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
jimmyalbrecht said:
Never had a problem. It's not a moving part, it simply makes the part that retains the guide rod smaller.
Or you could just buy the gen 3 lol. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just my preferences.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Backstraps. Might make the gun alot more comfortable and accurate to shoot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I finally got the Gen4..... Aaaaand I hate it... For years my gen3 g17 has felt out of place. But the last year, it has been great. I always loved the gen 4 grip more but now when I have it, I hate it. I could not figure out why but today it hit me. I lost 60lbs this last year, and my grip has become more larger. And that's why the gen 3 fits way better now then before.... Oh boy...

So now I have a brand new glock 34 gen 4 for sale with 18 rounds shot through it......

·
Certified Glock Armorer
11,359 Posts
Well, I finally got the Gen4..... Aaaaand I hate it... For years my gen3 g17 has felt out of place. But the last year, it has been great. I always loved the gen 4 grip more but now when I have it, I hate it. I could not figure out why but today it hit me. I lost 60lbs this last year, and my grip has become more larger. And that's why the gen 3 fits way better now then before.... Oh boy...

So now I have a brand new glock 34 gen 4 for sale with 18 rounds shot through it......
Have you tried it with the medium and large backstraps? That's what there for, to make the grip bigger for people with bigger hands.. Also you could put a talon grip of pachamyer grip on it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, no strap was what I wanted. Medium feels better but it doesn't make that perfect fit between thumb and index finger grip. Tried large but it was like holding a glock 21

·
Certified Glock Armorer
11,359 Posts
Yes, no strap was what I wanted. Medium feels better but it doesn't make that perfect fit between thumb and index finger grip. Tried large but it was like holding a glock 21
Hmm.. Cause the medium backstrap is what makes it the same size as a gen3.. Maybe you'll like the medium backstrap WITH a grip sleeve like hogue or pachamyer

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
I've never picked up a Glock and said "man this feels so good in my hand." Lol I didn't buy a Glock for comfort. I bought it because it just flat out works. I can get over an uncomfortable grip and not so great ergonomics because at least I know the gun will fire when I need it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts