Glock Forum banner

Why doesn't Glock make a .50?

5K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  bryanbrescia 
#1 ·
I'd sure buy one. I see ALOT of Glock fans here who would also be on board!

#6 ·
It's not going to be as big of a seller as the 9, 40, and 45. Frankly I'm surprised Glock has not dropped the 10mm yet (I know sacrilege).

The 50 ae or 50 gi would take retooling and redesign that would likely take a very long time to recoup the costs.

#7 ·
The 10mm is the hunter's gun. I carried mine just because if I ever needed to use it, I would only need to use it once haha. But the .41AE was an awesome round. I shot an older Jericho 941 and it was just like shooting an FBI Lite 10mm (Hornady, Federal, etc...)

#12 ·
It's the same projectile but a longer casing and WAY more power. I'm no expert on the 10mm, but I know a good bit, so here goes.

In the 1983 Miami FBI shootout, two individuals managed to be shot by .38 special and 9mm rounds over seven times and survived (it took a shotgun to finally take them down). After all was said and done, I believe three officers were KIA, and several others injured by the rifles the two men were carrying.

At this time, the FBI sought out for the ultimate self defense caliber. Here enters Jeff Cooper and the (unaffiliated) Norma ammo company. Cooper was interested in this proposition, and sought to meet the middle man between the 9mm and the .45. He decided on a .401" diameter bullet.

After countless test runs were completed, the 1400fps/640ft.lbs. 10mm one-hitter-quitter was born. The FBI adopted the round, and approached the Swedish company Norma (for their low cost) to manufacture this round according specifically to Cooper's loading.

Smith and Wesson came out with the 1006 for the FBI for the 10mm. Unfortunately, however, some FBI officers couldn't handle the recoil associated with this powerful caliber. That's when (sorry, can't remember his name, I think he worked for S&W) loaded what was later called the FBI Lite 10mm, but the width of the grip was still a problem for smaller officers. Smith and Wesson then introduced a 10mm short, which was a less powerful, shorter, and weaker version. It was then dubbed as we know it today as the .40 S&W (short and weak to us 10mm die hards :D)

Well, there you have it. The 10mm.

#16 ·
nukinfuts29 said:
pretty much ya lol. Funny part was IIRC from one of my many gun books, the FBI never used the round or did so for a short time because the...i want to say .40 came on the market during the 10mm development so they broke contract.
I watched a documentary on Cooper, that's where I got my info from. But I could be wrong, I don't trust half the things I see on tv these days anyway lol

#17 ·
G29sf said:
It's the same projectile but a longer casing and WAY more power. I'm no expert on the 10mm, but I know a good bit, so here goes.

In the 1983 Miami FBI shootout, two individuals managed to be shot by .38 special and 9mm rounds over seven times and survived (it took a shotgun to finally take them down). After all was said and done, I believe three officers were KIA, and several others injured by the rifles the two men were carrying.

At this time, the FBI sought out for the ultimate self defense caliber. Here enters Jeff Cooper and the (unaffiliated) Norma ammo company. Cooper was interested in this proposition, and sought to meet the middle man between the 9mm and the .45. He decided on a .401" diameter bullet.

After countless test runs were completed, the 1400fps/640ft.lbs. 10mm one-hitter-quitter was born. The FBI adopted the round, and approached the Swedish company Norma (for their low cost) to manufacture this round according specifically to Cooper's loading.

Smith and Wesson came out with the 1006 for the FBI for the 10mm. Unfortunately, however, some FBI officers couldn't handle the recoil associated with this powerful caliber. That's when (sorry, can't remember his name, I think he worked for S&W) loaded what was later called the FBI Lite 10mm, but the width of the grip was still a problem for smaller officers. Smith and Wesson then introduced a 10mm short, which was a less powerful, shorter, and weaker version. It was then dubbed as we know it today as the .40 S&W (short and weak to us 10mm die hards :D)

That's awesome thanks for the info

#18 · (Edited)
From Wikipedia:
The .40 S&W (10×22mm) was developed from the ground up as a law enforcement cartridge designed to duplicate performance of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's reduced-velocity 10mm Auto cartridge which could be retrofitted into medium-frame (9mm size) automatic handguns.
And the rest of the story:
In the aftermath of the 1986 F.B.I. Miami shootout, the F.B.I. started the process of testing 9mm and .45 ACP ammunition in preparation to replace its standard issue revolver with a semi-automatic pistol...

...During tests of the 9mm and .45 ACP ammunition, the F.B.I. Firearms Training Unit's Special Agent-in-Charge John Hall decided to include tests of the 10mm cartridge, supplying his personally owned Colt Delta Elite 10mm semi-automatic, and personally handloaded ammunition. The F.B.I.'s tests revealed that a 170–180 gr (11–12 g) JHP 10mm bullet, propelled between 900–1,000 ft/s (270–300 m/s), achieved desired terminal performance without the heavy recoil associated with conventional 10mm ammunition (1,300–1,400 ft/s (400–430 m/s)). The F.B.I. contacted Smith & Wesson and requested it to design a handgun to F.B.I. specifications, based on the existing large-frame S&W Model 4506 .45 ACP handgun, that would reliably function with the F.B.I.'s reduced velocity 10mm ammunition.

During this collaboration with the FBI, S&W realized that downloading the 10mm full power to meet the F.B.I. medium velocity specification meant less powder and more airspace in the case. They found that by removing the airspace they could shorten the 10 mm case enough to fit within their medium-frame 9mm handguns and load it with a 180 gr (12 g) JHP bullet to produce ballistic performance identical to the FBI's reduced velocity 10mm cartridge. S&W then teamed with Winchester to produce a new cartridge, the .40 S&W. It uses a small pistol primer whereas the 10mm cartridge uses a large pistol primer.

The .40 S&W cartridge debuted January 17, 1990, along with the new Smith & Wesson Model 4006 pistol, although it was several months before the pistols were available for purchase. Austrian manufacturer Glock Ges.m.b.H. beat Smith & Wesson to the dealer shelves in 1990, with pistols chambered in .40 S&W (the Glock 22 and 23) which were announced a week before the 4006.[5] Glock's rapid introduction was aided by its engineering of a pistol chambered in 10mm Auto, the Glock 20, only a short time earlier. Since the .40 S&W uses the same bore diameter and case head as the 10mm Auto, it was merely a matter of adapting the 10mm design to the shorter 9×19mm Parabellum frames. The new guns and ammunition were an immediate success.[6][7]

It cracks me up that Glock beat S&W, who designed the cartridge, to market!

#21 ·

I love the history lesson, thats awesome man! Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.