Why doesn't Glock make a .50?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by mekanik586, May 4, 2012.

1. mekanik586

mekanik586 New Member

I'd sure buy one. I see ALOT of Glock fans here who would also be on board!

2. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

3. mekanik586

mekanik586 New Member

not sure if I would trust it if it's not OE glock stuff

4. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

GLOCK will never make a .50.

5. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

I'd love to see a Glock .41AE but the .40 pretty much took its place.

6. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

It's not going to be as big of a seller as the 9, 40, and 45. Frankly I'm surprised Glock has not dropped the 10mm yet (I know sacrilege).

The 50 ae or 50 gi would take retooling and redesign that would likely take a very long time to recoup the costs.

7. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

The 10mm is the hunter's gun. I carried mine just because if I ever needed to use it, I would only need to use it once haha. But the .41AE was an awesome round. I shot an older Jericho 941 and it was just like shooting an FBI Lite 10mm (Hornady, Federal, etc...)

8. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Not practical

9. Blades

Blades Senior Member

10. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

Not to mention, a Glock in .38 super would be pretty awesome too.

11. Agustin

Agustin New Member

Regarding the dropping the 10mm. I have never fired on but I was told its just like a .40. Is that true?

12. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

It's the same projectile but a longer casing and WAY more power. I'm no expert on the 10mm, but I know a good bit, so here goes.

In the 1983 Miami FBI shootout, two individuals managed to be shot by .38 special and 9mm rounds over seven times and survived (it took a shotgun to finally take them down). After all was said and done, I believe three officers were KIA, and several others injured by the rifles the two men were carrying.

At this time, the FBI sought out for the ultimate self defense caliber. Here enters Jeff Cooper and the (unaffiliated) Norma ammo company. Cooper was interested in this proposition, and sought to meet the middle man between the 9mm and the .45. He decided on a .401" diameter bullet.

After countless test runs were completed, the 1400fps/640ft.lbs. 10mm one-hitter-quitter was born. The FBI adopted the round, and approached the Swedish company Norma (for their low cost) to manufacture this round according specifically to Cooper's loading.

Smith and Wesson came out with the 1006 for the FBI for the 10mm. Unfortunately, however, some FBI officers couldn't handle the recoil associated with this powerful caliber. That's when (sorry, can't remember his name, I think he worked for S&W) loaded what was later called the FBI Lite 10mm, but the width of the grip was still a problem for smaller officers. Smith and Wesson then introduced a 10mm short, which was a less powerful, shorter, and weaker version. It was then dubbed as we know it today as the .40 S&W (short and weak to us 10mm die hards :D)

Well, there you have it. The 10mm.

13. The 10MM is a great round. Developed for the FBI after the famous shootout.

14. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

Less time consuming version of what I said. Haha

15. pretty much ya lol. Funny part was IIRC from one of my many gun books, the FBI never used the round or did so for a short time because the...i want to say .40 came on the market during the 10mm development so they broke contract.

16. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

I watched a documentary on Cooper, that's where I got my info from. But I could be wrong, I don't trust half the things I see on tv these days anyway lol

17. Agustin

Agustin New Member

That's awesome thanks for the info

18. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

From Wikipedia:
    And the rest of the story:

It cracks me up that Glock beat S&W, who designed the cartridge, to market!

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  19. mekanik586

mekanik586 New Member

ok ok practicality, retooling,etc. etc. you know you'd all buy one if it existed. a glock the size of a desert eagle would be bad ass.

20. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

If the ammo was cheap and readily available, yes