Glock Firearms banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a cost savings to reloading? For instance, what does it cost per unit to reload 9MM, 40 S&W and 45 ACP? For simple math, the cost of equipment need not be factored in to the calculation.

or...

Is reloading a way to feel closer to your weapons, a way to control/ensure quality, a religious experience, or a way to stay out of the wife's way? (multiple answers are OK)

It is my understanding, wrongly or not, that if a reload damages your gun, sorry Charlie. However if a factory load damages your weapon, there are remedies available.

I like to work w/ my hands, don't mind investing in hobbies and all, but when it comes to guns, I'm hesitant to (no pun intended) pull the trigger on a reloading set up.

Thank you for you insight!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I do not reload, but saving money is a big part of it,(specially if you shoot a lot), then trusting the ammo you shoot (since it was loaded by you) is a big part, and it just looks fun to do if you have the time to do it.

50 pack of ammo for $12 = .24 each round
50 pack of ammo (reloading) = ?

·
Banned
4,604 Posts
Because it allows me to shoot a butt load more for the money spent.

1000 9mm store bought $220-$280
1000 9mm reloaded $158, not including brass because I already have 10's of 1000's of.

·
Certified Glock Armorer
4,715 Posts
Several reasons why I reload:
I find it relaxing. (now that I have a Dillon)
Not being dependent on Wally world having my ammo in stock when needed.
I can custom taylor my loads.
The satisfaction of putting together all the components myself and having a successful controlled explosion producing over 30,000 psi that results in sending a piece of lead traveling 1200 fps towards my intended target and hitting that target time after time.....priceless!

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
I reload as a hobby, initally as an appendage to shooting but eventually it turned into a hobby all on its own.

Can you imagine how self-satisfied I can be when I go shooting with friends in the desert, and they stop after firing a hundred or so rounds each of 9mm, .45, .38, .40 and .223, whereas I have brought a couple thousand of each caliber? The look of envy, as they sit idly by having exhausted the ammo they bought that morning and I continue to rapid fire thru 2 100-round twin-drum mags in my AR....THAT is priceless!

I have sold ammo to friends, and have reloaded on contract for them, but having to make a friend sign a waiver for the ammo kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't do it very often, and not for batches less than a couple thousand. I price it less than Wallyworld ammo, and I still make a profit.

My daughter (who has recently gotten into IDPA shooting) burns thru 9mm ammo about as fast as I do, and we never have to worry about supply.

Zombie Apocalypse? Bring it on! I've got thousands upon thousands of rounds of all the calibers I shoot, and it will have to be quite a mass of zombies before I run out I am driven to beating them about the head with an empty gun.

My favorite pistols are short-barrelled (like the G26 and the G30), which tend to develop lower than maximum muzzle velocites. I can tailor my loads to attain max velocities without exceeding max chamber pressures by fooling around with my recipe (combination of primer, powder, and bullet). I can shoot really accurate and more importantly consistently accurate rounds using rounds you usually cannot buy off-the-shelf, like using flat point hollow-bottom rounds.

Is it a religious experience? I think not. However, I know of a friend who had a primer detonation while seating primers, that caused sympathetic detonations that blew up the primer feed tube on his reloading press....100 primers joined together as one to blow up his reloader and puncture the ceiling of his garage. I suppose he may have had a religious experience out of it...:)

It's a hobby that allows me to enoy another hobby, saves me money (especially when considered as "how much would I have spent if I shot as much as I did today with ammo I bought off the shelf?"), earns me money (when I sell reloads), gives me great satisfaction (especially when others envy my contiued shooting long after they have run out of ammo), allows me to improve my shooting skills without regard as to cost of ammo, gives me confidence in knowing that when ammo becomes scarce I have more than I will ever really need, and in the final analysis, it is all about holding in your hands that shiny new round, knowing that you put it together with your own hands and are confident in everything you put into it.

One of my other hobbies, building model airplanes, also gives me great satisfaction and pride in the completion, but it's all about the process to get the visual result. I still build 'em, and I still spend on 'em, but they have never given me anything more than visual satisfaction. Another hobby, fishing, at least puts food on my plate.

Is it a distraction? Well, you need focus and concentration when setting up, but when I do a marathon reloading session, I do it in the living room in front of the TV.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

·
Banned
4,604 Posts
Happy.........I've been wondering this for a while. How do you have time to load 1000's and 1000's of rounds on a single stage press? I completely understand that you've probably got a sytem set up that works well for you but the math in my head doesn't add up.

Just curious.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
dslmac2 said:
I do not reload, but saving money is a big part of it,(specially if you shoot a lot), then trusting the ammo you shoot (since it was loaded by you) is a big part, and it just looks fun to do if you have the time to do it.

50 pack of ammo for $12 = .24 each round
50 pack of ammo (reloading) = ?
I reload....costs me about .16/round or around $8 per 50 round box at current powder, bullet, and primer prices. Considering I have about 32lbs of powder, about 35,000 primers, and about 15,000 heads that I bought when prices were lower it may cost me a bit less than aboventioned cost per round. I also have about 5 five gallon buckets of .40 brass from a LE source.

Oh, I also have 20,000 rounds I bought from a wholesaler in NJ who went under...got them 3 yrs ago for $10/box of 50.

Z

·
Registered
836 Posts
Because it allows me to shoot a butt load more for the money spent.

1000 9mm store bought $220-$280
1000 9mm reloaded $158, not including brass because I already have 10's of 1000's of.
Thanks for your post! This answers my question of is it worth it to reload and for myself, I will have to say no. I don't shoot as much as I would like, but when I'm plinking at the range, I shoot the cheap Tula ammo. Around $10 for bx/50 at Wal-Mart. However, I do buy quality HP's for my carry ammo. By comparing your cost and time of reloading to the cheap factory ammo, it's not worth it to me to reload. Just curious, but how long does it take to you to reload 1000 rounds of 9mm? Thanks again!

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Happy.........I've been wondering this for a while. How do you have time to load 1000's and 1000's of rounds on a single stage press? I completely understand that you've probably got a sytem set up that works well for you but the math in my head doesn't add up.

Just curious.
'Coz I do everything in stages.

I clean cases by the thousands, then size em, prime, and put them away for when I am willing or wanting to load that caliber.

At which point, I set up the seating-crimping die, my powder dispenser, powder and bullets, and a couple of DVDs (my record is so far the entire Star Wars series....all 6 movies, while reloading 9mm!).

I have thousands of primed brass in plastic bags inside ammo cans and cardboard boxes in the garage, all ready for powder charge and bullet.

Hope that answers your question, Mike.

Cheers!

·
Boost Rules
278 Posts
'Coz I do everything in stages.

I clean cases by the thousands, then size em, prime, and put them away for when I am willing or wanting to load that caliber.

Cheers!
I do the same. It's all about bulk batches...Single stage here as well. I can resize about 25 cases a minute. It does not take long to build up a good supply.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I reload for a couple reasons:

(1) cost - on what I save per a round I can load more and shoot more for the same amount of cash.

(2) performance - I can tweak loads for specific guns and types of shooting. Started with rifle ammo matched to the gun, then started in with the handgun ammo loaded to meet the need of the shooting type.

(3) availability - first off I never have to worry about running to the store and them being out. Second I have several guns that I shoot no standard rounds through that you just can't buy except from speciality places and for the cost of 500 rounds I could buy a whole reloading set up and then load them myself.

(4) discipline - as I have mentioned elsewhere my ability focus is lacking and I find that forcing myself to sit and have to pay attention to the details of the process is calming. The need to keep things in spec and follow patterns also helps channel the OCD into something constructive.

I started off like HS1 and have 2 single stage presses that I worked stuff through in batches. Recently the wife got me a dillon 550b and I use that for my large volume needs and use the 2 Rockchuckers for mostly small batch or precision stuff.

malladus

1 - 11 of 11 Posts