Glock Forum banner

who owned my gun?

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  txgunner 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a way to look up my serial number "without having to pay" to see who owned my gun previously and if its stolen?

#3 ·
As far as finding out who owned it previously, though, unless you're somewhere that requires some sort of registration or purchase permit, there's no way to know who owned it. Even if it was registered somehow, that information may not be available. Being in TX, I doubt it.

#4 ·
Any PD will run a stolen check for you. But all they can tell you is if it is listed as stolen or not. If it comes back without a hit, (not stolen) that doesn't mean it's not stolen, just that that serial number has not been entered into NCIC as stolen.

If a person reports a a gun or anything stolen and doesn't have a serial number or some added unique identifier it will NOT be entered into NCIC.

#5 ·
thank you all for the advice im concerned because its my carry gun and id relly hate to get checked and end up having a stolen gun in my possesion also if i go to a police department and it turns up stolen would i be charged for possesion of a stolen gun even though i had no idea of the background when i purchased it?

#6 ·
Well if When you purchased it you had a bill of sale written up that's your alibi. Even if you purchased it from "some guy" you should always get a hand written receipt of some sort. And if you ever sell a firearm always make sure of their age since you are not responsible for running a background check. This is how it works in Florida although you don't have to write up the bill of sale but it's just good to cover your behind. Your state may be different but in most states that don't require your firearm to be registered this is how it works.

#7 ·
Well if When you purchased it you had a bill of sale written up that's your alibi. Even if you purchased it from "some guy" you should always get a hand written receipt of some sort. And if you ever sell a firearm always make sure of their age since you are not responsible for running a background check. This is how it works in Florida although you don't have to write up the bill of sale but it's just good to cover your behind. Your state may be different but in most states that don't require your firearm to be registered this is how it works.
I agree with this 100% but I also would get a Copy of their Drivers License. I usually don't sell guns and If I do it is to Close Friends or Family or done through an FFL. When I buy Guns it is usually through known friends or family but if it is from anyone I am not 100% sure of I always have it checked by the PD. The only ones I do not have do a bill of sale or get DL copy from is my closest Family All other will do the bill of sale and copy DL! Better to be safe than sorry!;)

#8 ·
thank you all for the advice im concerned because its my carry gun and id really hate to get checked and end up having a stolen gun in my possession also if i go to a police department and it turns up stolen would i be charged for possession of a stolen gun even though i had no idea of the background when i purchased it?
Unless your dept is really anal retentive I doubt it. But it will be investigated, and you will loose the gun. But if you hang on to it and then get caught with a stolen gun it will be a lot worst.

When I buy or sell a gun a hand written bill of sale signed by both parties goes with it, with a copy for each party.

Live and learn.

#9 ·
Thank you all for your information.As Ive said before I bought the gun at a gun show,I dont think the gun is stolen its just been on my mind being that I dont know the the seller personaly,however Ive seen the guy at several gun shows in my area since with his own booth so I think if he was up to no good he wouldve been caught by now,also thanks to your advice Ive went through all of my stuff and found a receipt he gave me.Since alot of the cops round here can be a little "jumpy" Ive decided to go to a police officer that im good friends with and have him run it for me.

#10 ·
Thank you all for your information.As Ive said before I bought the gun at a gun show,I dont think the gun is stolen its just been on my mind being that I dont know the the seller personaly,however Ive seen the guy at several gun shows in my area since with his own booth so I think if he was up to no good he wouldve been caught by now,also thanks to your advice Ive went through all of my stuff and found a receipt he gave me.Since alot of the cops round here can be a little "jumpy" Ive decided to go to a police officer that im good friends with and have him run it for me.
Is your police friend a practical joker?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.