White box shorting you?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Webphisher, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Anyone else notice Winchester White Box isn't really 100 rounds? I counted this time and it was only 98.

Seems like every time my ammo reconciliation comes up short its after WWB. Federal packs their ammo by the 50s and you can seem instantly if its short. WWB is just loose . Anyone else seeing this?

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

A buddy of mine went shooting with last Saturday had 2 boxes of WWB 9mm 115gr, and he complained of the same thing when we were policing our brass....I told him not to worry about it, probably kicked the case off someplace....interesting you mention short count in the box.

He ended up with 195 cases out of what should have been 200 rounds.

Interesting....

3. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Theres no contact info for them either that I can find. If I have to I guess I could post to their Facebook that they have shorted me rounds lol.

4. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

I did get 102 rounds out of one box. I started loading up 10 rounds in each mag. Ran through 5 mags, loaded again and had 2 left!

I think I was shorted once, but it was at 99 rounds.

5. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

My last trip to the range, I actually got 102 rounds in a 100 count box. They must have given me a couple of yours.:rolleyes: Sorry... on my next trip I'll dedicate the first two shots to you.;)

6. Green-Water

Green-Water New Member

I got 101 in my last 100 round box of WWB.

7. I buy the 50 round WWB and so far it has been 50 in there every time.

8. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

^^^---- They are talking about the 100-round boxes with the loose ammo, not the ones with a tray.

9. No wonder they are not getting there full count if it is loose rounds lol. Why wouldn't they put two trays of 50 in the box? Instead of putting them in loose?

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I also wonder if it may be that people (customers) are actually taking rounds out of the boxes?

We suspect something like that may have happened when we had a student in class with .40S&W ammo (in a 50-round box with a styrofoam tray) actually had a 9mm round in place of one .40S&W.

This was a student at our FA class for CCW permit, and the ammo was purchased at a local Walmart enroute to the range.

We all just assumed some nosy customer was poking around in the ammo display, and never even entertained the thought that it could have happened at the factory, which actually seems highly unlikely.

Perhaps?

11. Blades

Blades Senior Member

Maybe they load the boxes by weight?

12. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

@Blades:

I would imagine so, as this is a common way to package mass-produced goods using automation.

I still think that maybe it is customers fooling around with boxes on the ammo shelves at retailers.

But I could be wrong on both counts.

13. condor56

condor56 New Member

All the pistol ammo in the Walmart's here in SC are locked up.

14. All handgun ammo in any store here is locked up.

15. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

I got shorted on a box of 9mm WWB with 99. With the loose boxed ammo I use some Plano 100 rd ammo cases to store it all. Winchester is now starting to package the 40S&W in loose boxes as well where before they had the 2 styrofoam trays in the box. I assume they do this now to cut back on materials. They are able to use smaller boxes and no trays if packaged loose.

16. Winchester has been going to down hill in recent years and according to some of the senior ATK employees i've spoken to, Winchester is quite possibly the worst in the industry. I do like their brass though.

17. Blades

Blades Senior Member

The only place I was able to "touch" ammo was at Gander Mountain. A few other places it was behind the counter.

18. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Walmart in Spanish Springs, ammo not locked up.
    Walmart in Carson City, ammo not locked up.
    Scheel's Outfitters in Sparks, ammo not locked up.
    Cablea's Outfitters in Reno, ammo not locked up.
    Sportsman's Warehouse in Reno, ammo not locked up.

This is as of today (4/11/2012).

19. WWB in all Walmarts I've been to in Indiana and Kentucky are locked up but Bass Pro Shops aren't locked up

20. american lockpicker

american lockpicker New Member

I got shorted a few rounds once with WWB.