Which fingers gets dirtiest at the range?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by rimshaker, Apr 11, 2012.

1. rimshaker

rimshaker New Member

Was just curious. I'm a righty with the typical standard grip posture. When i shoot for a while my right thumb and index finger gets the most gunpowder residue on them. Just strange to me cause it's my trigger finger... and my right thumb rests on the opposite side of the ejector opening. How's this happening and is it normal? It's not from loading magazines.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Slow news day...huh ?! ;)

3. rimshaker

rimshaker New Member

Wish it was just that :( I'm currently nursing a small cuticle infection on my right thumb. Was suspecting it may be from shooting during the past month.

4. glock19desertranger

glock19desertranger New Member

I was going to say loading mags, but u said its not that. That was my only explanation since those are the 2 fingers that get the dirtiest when I go shoot....

5. RogerH

RogerH New Member

Oh thanks now im gonna be up all night . oh wait i work noc shift to night. any who im a CNA so just was your hands when your done you'll be fine.and a little triple antibiotic on the nail you'll be as good as new in about a week.

6. rimshaker

rimshaker New Member

Roger thanx for the advice. I always did wash thoroughly before i even left the range. Could be from something else entirely; i'll never know. Anyway i've just been keeping it clean with betadine for the past 2 weeks. Looks like a small pocket thats been receding...not the whole cuticle, less than half of it. Thumb never got swollen and no puss, but some clear weeping at times.

7. RogerH

RogerH New Member

oh wait i just thought couldnt hurt to soak in ebsen salts

8. Ach127

Ach127 New Member

WV
    at the end of range day.

Attached Files:

9. How do you hold your magazines when taking them out or loading? Maybe you're picking up residue from them?

Edit: by 'loading' above I mean how do you pick up and insert a magazine into battery, maybe your fingers are touching parts of the magazine in places that have a lot of residue.

10. Ach127

Ach127 New Member

WV
    The majority of this, is from the ammo while loading the mags. The small amount of residue on them builds up after the same two fingers push in 300 of them. If you look in the second pic, you can see the clean line left by my speed loader on the front of my index finger. The speed loader kept me relatively clean. Unlike my brother, in the first pic....not only does the corner of his thumb look like its dead and going to fall off...he has two fingers covered and a smudge on his face. :)

11. LONEWOLF

LONEWOLF New Member

right index and thumb

12. Green-Water

Green-Water New Member

right index and thumb.

13. rimshaker

rimshaker New Member

Cool this is great info guys. Im a slow shooter so i only load 5 rounds at a time, somtimes 10. A few times i made sure i wiped clean my rght thumb and index finger before emptying a mag or two... and yet the powder residue still gets on those fingers the most. Still at a loss to explain how the powder lands the way it does. Cuticle infections are slow to heal :(

14. Green-Water

Green-Water New Member

I think a good bit of it comes from loading magazines.