Which ammo to purchase for Glock 27

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Glock72, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Glock72

Glock72 New Member

I'm looking at Federal hydra shok 180 grain or Federal HST 155 grain ,opinions and recommendations appreciated .

2. Nyckid211

Nyckid211 New Member

From my understanding, the lower the grain count (135-155) compared to 180, the less the 'snappiness' that some users report. So in essence, it really depends on the application. If I were looking for a SD round, I'd go with a lower grain, because it's suppose to fly faster, translating to high energy impact, and expands more then a heavier, slower bullet( read: 180 grain).
    If you are looking for practice ammo, 180 should be fine. I read an article online that articulates what I told you slightly better, I'll try to find it for you.
    Here is a list for comparison of the Muzzle energy of various rounds, i believe also including the two weights you asked about if not very similar rounds of the same brand and weight:
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/40sw.html

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

3. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

I carry 230 Gr Hyda-Shok in 45 and still believe them to be one of the best rounds made even though the design is 20 yrs old. I will not argue with those who disagree I can tell you from Cops I personally know have been in shoot outs with it and swear by it even though their Departments went to newer HP. They have also said that they do not believe that the new round is as good even though they have had only a few shootings. I also know those whom I respect who swear by CorBon DPX! But I have never shot them and know no one who has been in a shooting with them but I know several who are carrying them. I am a Bigger Bullet the better camp. So if I was carrying a 10mm or a 40 S&W it would be a 180 gr but one of the things I tell anyone who asks is Test the rounds on your Pistol! ALL GUNS ARE DIFFERENT! I have 2 Glock 21's and they shoot different with the same ammo, same box, same lot! So pick the ones you like the best and buy 2 boxes each (At Least 2 boxes) and see how they preform out of your Gun! If you have any hiccups then I say 5 boxes more of that round at least before you even attempt to carry! I like the new HST's and I am shooting them to test them but I use way more than 2 boxes before I carry them! I have shot 3 boxes of 20 so far but will not be sure until 200 rnds are through my EDC gun.

4. iShoot

iShoot New Member

I assume you are asking about stopping power? Which is generally a highly debated subject. Most believe the heavier bullet is best for self defense, I've heard arguments between 165 gr and 180 gr. Speer and Federal are popular for self defense. In my opinion any bullet will get the job done, if you do your part. If recoil is a consideration, try a couple weights and see which shoots best "for you". The G27 is pretty jumpy with two fingers on the grip while firing in rapid succession. You can find a lot of ballistic tests online and on YouTube.

5. Blades

Blades Senior Member

Go with the HST.

6. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

I use Hornady Critical Defense. Speer Gold Dot, and Federal Hydra-Shok are all good rounds too. I would stay away from 180-gr. though.

7. G29EDC

G29EDC New Member

If your looking for a self defense round, I always recommend a bonded bullet, no chance of a jacket/core separation and the jacket staying with the intended target while the core passes threw and hitting something or someone. Plus if you have to shoot threw barrier the bullet is more likely to stay intact. I personally use Winchester PDX1 165 Gr in .40 S&W and in 10mm I use 165 Gr Speer Gold Dot's loaded by Double Tap.

But ammo is like anything else, you have to find what works for you and what works with your equipment.

Also, as tnoutdoors on YouTube always says, it is your responsibility as a law-abiding citizen to research and test the ammo you will carry.

8. loneranger

loneranger New Member

maybe I am wrong for asking this but I have been shooting a very long time... The 180 g is Grams of powder behind the bullet.. Not the actual weight of the lead coming out... So upwards from 180 will propel faster but still pull apart more during travel. A .40 or upwards will weigh more and pull apart faster than a .45 because of lead weight vs that of a .40??? If my math is on par??? I don't know for sure...

9. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

That number is bullet weight, not powder weight.

10. ZombieNinja

ZombieNinja New Member

It is the actual weight in grains of the lead and copper slug. Powder is waaaay lower number. Like 4-6 grains

11. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

If it was any other caliber I would say go with the larger bullet, but in .40 S&W, you get more energy out of the 155 or 165 gr. bullets than the 180.

12. iShoot

iShoot New Member

From what I understand in my readings, that may be correct. With the larger 180gr bullet some say it leaves less room for the powder (guess there needs to be a slight air space between powder & bullet?). So manufacturers in order to allow for the slight manufacturing differences load the 180gr lighter than the recommended charge, where with smaller grain bullets this is not a issue. Maybe their's a person who reloads .40 here that can verify this?

13. Glock72

Glock72 New Member

Thanks everyone for replies,after researching and reading y'alls input ,I believe I'll go with 155 grain HST ,but keep info coming ,thanks !

14. CaptainJack

CaptainJack New Member

I and most of the officers I work around prefer Golden Sabres +p in as heavy a weight as you can find, the heavier weight is marginally slower but with the higher pressure of the +p 's it translates into more foot pounds of energy into your target, and it will mushroom out to the size the manufacturer's demintions. As in a cars engine horsepower sounds great but it is the torque that does all the work. So bullet velosity is horsepower and torque is ft lbs of energy, so the more mass you have the better knock down power you have. Cause till any bullet reaches the magic 2000 fps, smaller bullets don't have enough velosity to make up for less mass. Go Bigger.

Hope this helps.

15. ZombieNinja

ZombieNinja New Member

Just get a .45 an be done. :D
    I like a little heavier bullet for more ft lbs. of force as mentioned above. I try not to run light for caliber bullets. Middle or heavier is preferred but that's me. You cannot go wrong with the HST's. Loads are wicked. Hydra shoks are still popular but very old technology (but so is the 1911 and i like it) and testing has shown slight tendency to hardball and over penetrate.
    Newer bonded JHP designs are gonna out perform and is my deciding factor over bullet weight. Get what you can get your hands on and buy enough!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  16. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

There is no +p in .40 S&W because of the already high pressures. AS someone mentioned in a previous comment, in 180 gr. .40 cartridges, they load the powder lighter in order to not create too large of a pressure effectively making a weaker round. If it were 9mm or any other caliber we were talking about I would agree about the heavy bullet.

17. sglide05

sglide05 Very Cool Member Supporter

I use the Federal Hydra-Shok in the 180 grain for SD ammo. I'm pretty sure people will have their own opinions on what they will use for SD. I reload my own ammo for every day plinking and my round I chose was the 180 grain FP which worked well for me. Some folks say the 180 grain is too heavy. It worked great in my 23. This new batch of ammo I am going to try a 165 grain bullet instead. I have shot 165's before at a Glock match and they worked great as well. I guess what I'm trying to say is pick one that works for you. My 23 eats up anything I feed it.

18. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

165gr Hornady Critical Defense or 165gr Speer Gold Dots (which is our department issue ammo).