Glock Forum banner

What's the best oil to use for my G23?

9K views 44 replies 32 participants last post by  Dons86 
#1 ·
Hey guys (and gals) I'm new to Glock forums (actually just logged in for the first time today) and i was just wondering what the best oil to use for my G23 would be. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

#2 ·
Welcome to the Forum jaspa! We use CLP on our Glocks. They take very little lubricant. Enjoy the community here.

#9 ·
Welcome to the forum! I've used Hoppes on all of my guns until recently buying some CLP, and now I'm hooked. great stuff. I noticed on Hoppes that even though I barely used any at all, I would sometimes get a bit of smoke off of my barrel. None of that with the CLP.

#15 ·
CLP. The name says it all: Cleans Lubricates Protects! Consistent use of it will make for super easy clean up as it coats every part of the weapon and soaks in over time. You can literally wipe it down after a range day. Once a month or so a full break down and cleaning with Hoppes degreaser followed by application of CLP again. Nothing works better.

#25 · (Edited)
Good to know... Would have been hilarious if I passed out after listening to everyone's recommendation. Rofl. :)
:D This is true...

A little bit is fine; but when I drench my barrel with it while cleaning, it can be a bit much.

For the most part, I do what Hickok45 does with Ballistol...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc[/ame]

#26 ·
I use Ballistol for cleaning and Mobil 1 synthetic 15w-50. The use of Mobil 1 was recommended to me by a couple of local Glock armorers and it works great.
The problem with motor oil is its over basing of additives. Phosphorus being a major one. When it comes in contact with moisture in the air it will separate from the oil. Long term exposure is not desirable and if left on long enough it will cause corrosion if not wiped down and re applied regularly.

Works great for internal applications when gathered moisture can be cooked off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.