Whats better!?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by savage07, Feb 24, 2012.

1. savage07

savage07 New Member

Galil .223 Sporter Rifle or Bushmaster XM15 Optics Ready Carbine? Any opinion?

2. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

You will probably find more 'accessories' for the Bushmaster than the Galil. Other than that..they both shoot! :D

3. ^ bingo, couldnt have said it better lol

4. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Galil is a piston driven operation, arguably more reliable in adverse conditions. Galil is also a good deal heavier, and repair parts are not nearly as readily available. Both are fine firearms, just kind of depends on what you are wanting.

5. malladus

malladus New Member

The Galil is basically an evolved Ak. You can get parts for them to tweek them a little, but not to the extent of the AR platform. Now if you are looking for a gun that will run and run and run, that you don't intend to do much more to customize beyond the way it falls out of the box, and don't mind paying a little more for magazines for then the Galil rocks. Otherwise the AR is a better choice. If its a real galil, then for what you are going to pay you could buy a seriously nice AR.

Now we you say Galil sporter, sounds like you are talking about one from Century Arms maybe? They call it a sporter or a Goliani at timess, if its one of those get the AR. The Century ones are built of parts kits and the track record is not good on them. They have had issues with out of spec mag wells on the lower receivers that need grinding to take magazines, or that are too wide and won't let a mag lock in place. OTher ones have had magwells where the magazine will lock in to low or to high, either mangling rounds as it tries to feed or the magazines themselves as the bolt goes into battery. The front sight and gas block on some are out of true and can be seen to point towards 1 or 11 o'clock instead of straight up. They had issues with the barrels they used in the feed ramps not being cut right or the barrel installed off true and causing the lugs not to engage. Bolts not being headspaced, and all sorts of other issues. A buddy and I ordered one each when they first came out. I swapped mine out three times before getting fed up and just getting my money back. My buddy kept at it and waited for later production batches and finally wound up with a good one. It's fun to shoot, but it's definitely nothing like the real deal pre-ban one a roommate owned in college.

Also, as if Century wasn't bad enough there is atleast one company that markets an AK chambered in .223 that is made up to be just like a Galil. Basically do some cosmetic work and some part swapped, but it's just a AK in Galil drag.

malladus

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  6. I would go for an AR chambered in 5.56 / .223, not just .223. 5.56 has higher chamber pressures and weapons marked as such can hamdle both.

7. savage07

savage07 New Member

All of this opinions sound really good! Im more of a hunting rifles type of guy. But a combat rifle won't hurt my collection, also I don't want to spend more than 800$ for it, since is just for the range practice. I think I'm gonna go for the bushmaster AR chamber. Thanks to all of you guys for your support!! " Life is Good" :)

8. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Don't know if this will help, but I personally know of 3 shooters who independently bought Bushy ARs, from different retailers. In 2 cases, the barrels were bent, in the third there were serious machining defects in the action. All 3 required shipping back to Bushy for warranty work, and on release after repair, owner had to do the Brady all over again.

This was about 3 years ago, and in my mind, a brand-new gun out of the box, should not need to go back to the manufacturer.

Having said that, the AR platform is here to stay, if nothing else, because of the plethora of accessories available for it. If you limit yourself to a (relatively) exclusive firearm type that does not have much aftermarket mods available, be prepared to end up with an essentially stock firearm.

*PS* for $800 you could get a decent DPMS M4 flatop!

9. bhale187

At just a tad over $800 you can get a Rock River too, which is the best ar15 for the money in my book.

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

And the beauty of the AR platform is flexibility limited only by your ability to fund your addiction :D

Get a flatop 16" now. Next time, get (or build) a 22- or 24-inch fluted bull for long distance accuracy, a 16" light with sight tower and detachable carry handle, oh, the list goes on and on....AND IT WILL STILL BE THE SAME GUN IN THE EYES OF THE ATF!

11. savage07

savage07 New Member

I'm planing to go by the dealer on Wednesday to pick up a Cz 550 that I order. Last week when I was there for the first time I was impress with the amount of different AR's they have and some of them where around the $ 700 ish. I'm thinking of getting one. Wish brand of AR should I look for the money then?

12. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

At the risk of being flamed, I will give my opinion:

RRA
    DPMS

at the top of the list.

13. bhale187

+1 on those brands, and in that order in my opinion, which of course YMMV.

Personally I build my own for AR15s these days, but if I was buying a factory AR it would be a Rock River or next best for the money is DPMS.

14. savage07

savage07 New Member

I'll do a research about this brands and check them out when I'll get there. Thanks guys for all the inputs! We'll look out for each others!!

15. savage07

savage07 New Member

Yeah nice collection!! I hope I can get one between 700$ and 800$.

16. Trotac

Trotac New Member

I'm not going to rehash the age old "which AR is better" because that has been solved for a long time (via m4carbine.net). But if you're wanting an AR save $300 more bucks and get a Colt/ Bravo Company/ Daniel Defense. Buy once, cry once. (it took me a long time and some cheap AR's to learn that lesson, but it has finally stuck... I pick up my new Daniel Defense at the end of the month.)

17. savage07

savage07 New Member

I know Colt makes nice, durable, beautiful weapons. But I was looking for something less expensive that would do the job. The option of saving a bit more it's also make sense. Let's see, I'll keep you guys posted!!!

18. savage07

savage07 New Member

Alright colleagues, I end up getting the DPMS chamber in 223/5.56 with iron sight. Now I can't wait for some range time!!!! :)

19. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Congratulations!

What submodel (flatop or with carry handle, M4, light barrel, etc?). Soon as you get it, post pics!

May I ask what it cost?