What will happen to the price of .40 ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by casey97, Apr 2, 2012.

1. casey97

casey97 New Member

2. Glock22Gen3

Glock22Gen3 New Member

Image that, not 9mm and not 45.

3. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

It's essentially a renewal of a contract, moreso than a new thing. It's not like they just went out an bought a bunch of .40s...they've been issuing .40 for a decade. Also, they're not buying all of that at once. It's a multi-year contract for up to that amount, not a guarantee that they will take the full quantity.

This isn't really a big hit to the industry and there are plenty of manufacturers. I don't think this will have any effect at all on prices.

4. casey97

casey97 New Member

You are so right. I occasionally shoot with a group of 9mm XD shooters who continually babble about 9mm being a NATO round and being so much cheaper because it is the standard. To me the 9mm is cheap like my .22. They are both fun to shoot until someone looses an eye. I have found at Wal-Mart .40 is about a $1.50 more per 50. However, all my LEO friends have to qualify quarterly and sometimes give me range ammo they have left. If you total all the free ammo I get I am doing great on the average purchase price. To me, if the recoil is not a problem, self-defense caliber should start with a 4. I get tired of hearing about +p and all that noise. Shot placement is key, but I worked in a prison for a three years. I've had numerous (in the twenties) inmates proudly show their 9mm bullet wounds. I even had one show me his .40 wound where the cop shot him in the leg. I have never had someone show me their. 45 wound. There is a name for people who look at .45 wounds, that person is known as a coroner. Next time a big man at the range says he shoots a nine, ask him if his husband also has guns.

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

What makes the price of ammo rise is not the demand for the cartridge,

it's the cost of the consumerable components that make up the cartridge...

the brass, the lead, the copper...

6. pghcc23

pghcc23 New Member

I would not buy my ammo at Walmart. For the couple of bucks you save, your supporting a company that DOES NOT SUPPORT YOUR GUN RIGHTS!!! All Walmart cares about is the how much crap they can sell per square ft. Walmart use to sell handguns, rifles ect... Not anymore! Ask the question,… why is that? I know a guy who bought a Bersa .380 from walmart 15 years ago. Walmart moved to the left of center on gun rights years ago. Thanks mainly to the work of the Clinton's. I spend an extra buck or two and support businesses that support our second amendment. I don't hate Walmart. Or believe Walmart is Satan. Bottom line… I choose to support businesses that support my rights. Even if it cost more!

7. :rolleyes: Armchair Spetsnaz much?

8. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

A 9mm will do plenty off damage. I love all calibers but to say a 9mm isn't crap for self defense is crazy.

People that say that say you have to have a big caliber make me think there compensating for something...

9. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Demand is always a factor in price...basic economics.

In this particular case, though, there is no significant additional strain on the supply chain, as ATK already has this contract and "overruns" of their HST .40 ammo from the last contract is available on the civilian market.

10. I tend to agree. To me, the important thing is being familiar and accurate with your firearm. A 9mm bullet strategically placed is just as deadly as a .40 or .45 placed in the same region.
    I have a friend who has a .45 but the damn thing throws so much kickback that he often misses his intended target. While I am pretty dead on with my 9mm. Must be all the practice I spend at the range, shooting my cheaper than 40 cal, 9mm bullets...

11. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

If they dont support then why do they allow open carry in their stores...

12. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

I love this short from a Navy SEAL regarding the 9mm.

If the 9mm is such a wussy round, why is it none of the nahsayers are willing to volunteer to be shot by it :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT_C-iJfMe4[/ame]

13. Awesome!

I love all calibers but just get erked when armchair quarterbacks spew the bigger is better stuff.

Here's a good example.:D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXC_9WoK270[/ame]

14. pghcc23

pghcc23 New Member

I've never seen anyone open carry in a walmart.

15. casey97

casey97 New Member

I have bought 4 guns from my local gun shop in the last 6 months. I buy all my carry ammo from my local gun shop. During the Valentines antigun Starbucks day I bought one of the twelve cup travel coffee pots to my local shop to support Starbucks and my shop. I buy most of my target ammo at Wal-Mart. My shop is very understanding about this. One would think the more a product is sold the more supportive Wal-Mart will become to that customer base.

For anyone who thinks I am serious about the caliber debate please accept my apologies. I think most people who argue about calibers or brands are just feeling the pride of ownership much like the Ford vs inferior vehicle debates. If you take care of your truck, gun, etc. it will tale care of you. I like Glock pistols and own 2. I like .40 caliber and own 2. I really enjoy shooting my friend's XD 9, but not enough to replace my Glock 22 or Glock 27.

Remember if you do shoot someone with a 9mm, and they feel it, it will most likely make them very angry.

16. pghcc23

pghcc23 New Member

Why did they stop selling firearms if they're pro gun?

17. casey97

casey97 New Member

Like most people I agree that shot placement is paramount in self defense. However, those who say size does not matter, ask yourself if you shot placement is the only factor, why don't yoy carry a .22 or some other smaller caliber. Handguns are not as strong as long guns. There is a quote about someone who was found to be concealed carrying a hand gun. He was asked if he expected trouble. He responded that if he expected trouble he would have his 12 gauge with him instead of his .45.

18. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

I only want to immediately stop any threat, if I hit that threat in the arm,leg etc... I don't care if I don't blow off a limb but I want to disable or stop the threat a 9mm will do just that if hit in a life threatening area the 9mm will also completely disable the threat.

Now in my opinion if some one gets shot with a 22 in the arm he still might continue or have a good chance of using that arm. I think you should use and carry what ever your comfortable with but saying a 9mm is inadequate sounds to me like compensation

19. casey97

casey97 New Member

Sorry to touch a nerve to my 9mm brothers out there. 9mm is adequate. Everything I have said was said in jest, but it seems to have touched a nerve. To me though, there has to be a reason so many law enforcement agencies carry .40 caliber. If you read "Glock an American Gun," (or whatever the name of that book is) you will see how many military groups when finally allowed the choice choose .40 over the 9mm or .45 which had been forced upon them. Youtube abounds with opinions. I believe Hickok45 prefers .40 cal over 9mm. All the blogosphere aside, I will still value the opinion of law enforcement over someone on the internet. I am sure there are individual military or LEOs who espouse the benefits of using a smaller European round.

Again from the repose and personal attacks one would think I posted that I wanted to ban the 9mm. Most everything I have posted has been in jest. If you get so defensive when someone says something about a specific caliber maybe you need to reevaluate your own opinions about that caliber. When you get super offended by some obvious jokes maybe you are a little sensitive about your caliber of choice. Please do not tell your husband that a mean man was rude to you on the internet.

One last observation when someone says they are able to better manage a smaller caliber's recoil I commend them for shooting whatever they can. If a .40 is too snappy for your hand and the most gun you can shoot is a 9mm, then by all means carry a 9mm. The first rule in a gun fight is to have one. The first rule to carrying a gun is to carry one. Just feel comfortable in what you carry. I know I am.

20. sgtglock

sgtglock New Member

9mm vs .40 vs .45. BlahBlahBlahBLAH!! i'm waiting til next month when the new concealable