Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Man
8,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been talking with my Grand Kids about Reloading and the choice of equipment available these days! The subject turned to what I started with ? Well at 15 ,I brought a 310 Martini Cadet rifle and it came with a Lyman #4 nut cracker (Tong type ) Complete with built in Bullet mould (100 gr from memory) & a set of Lee powder scoops! I taught myself to cast and of course didn't know about lubing projectiles! Lesson learnt ! I cut the base of of a .303 brit case and would melt lube in a old skillet full of projectiles ,let it set and use the case as a Kake cutter!
My first Press was a Simplex Jr Turret
Product Gas Engineering Electric blue Cylinder

It was the ant's pants for me! They still manufacture them ! They use 5/8 dies! You could only neck size Rifle calibres (they made a set of dies for the 375 H&H! You had to push the projectile up into the seating die and then fit the case!
My first Case trimmer was also Simplex
Bullet Gas Cylinder Gun accessory Revolver

It was some time before I brought a set of scales and then a powder thrower

Got me to thinking though. What did everybody else start off with ?

·
Premium Member
7,832 Posts
Lyman tong tool .38/357 ,45 colt and 45-70 dies for it I still have it packed away somewhere. First bench mounted was a used RCBS junior, passed it on to a friend so he could take up reloading and then on to progressives.

·
Grumpy Old Man
8,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started out with a couple basic Lee Loader kits then moved up to a RCBS Rock Chucker single stage press that I still use for rifle and handgun reloading and three MEC 600 JR presses for 12, 20, and .410 shotgun reloading.
They're all kind of old fashion and slow but then so am I. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.....................
I own a couple of Lee loader kits that I take with me to the range when developing new loads! I've got a lee loader for the 410 but a MEC 600 JR for 12 g

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I also started with a rock checker. Still loading with the same one 25 years later. I just started loading pistol rounds a few years ago with it. Before that mostly just loaded for my hunting rifles. I have always wanted to buy a Dillon but just haven’t pulled the trigger on that purchase yet.

·
Premium Member
7,832 Posts
Reactions: Old Bloke

·
Registered
76 Posts
It was about forty years ago that my first father in law introduced me to reloading. Christmas of that year I got a Hornady Single Stage press, RCBS powder measure and scales and a die set for .357. I spent so much time shooting and reloading that his daughter fussed at him for getting me started with HIS hobby.

·
Registered
G43X, Colt Combat commander.
9 Posts
I think the year was 1975? I bought a complete loading set up from a guy who lived behind a machine shop where I learned to use a milling machine lathe and other machine shop tools.
The machine shop was owned by the former partner of a good friend of my older brother.
They were in business for a few years then split up. It was a a learning experience because the four regulars were all vets of WWll Pacific theater.
Lets get back on thread no drifting allowed.
Well the neighbor behind the shop had some guns my good friend bought the one I can remember was a AG-42.
He was getting out of reloading and was selling all of his reloading equipment.
The press was a C-H with some dies. 45 APC and 357 IIRC an old Lyman #5 reloading manual and a Lyman beam scale.
(all of which I still have today).
I don't understand why my wife says I never throw any thing away?
The best thing I got from him (John Hook) was a 99%+ 1906 Mannlicher-Schönauer 6.5mm that I payed $250.00 for It I later sold for $4,000.00 (I had sold it to a friend for 400.00).
That sale was the beginning of a 35 year friend ship to the buyer. I was very up set when he sold it for $4,000.00.
Well about 5 years later after my friend's wife passed he I think lost the will to live and passed.
A mutual good friend was the executer of the will called me and said I had "pick of the litter"
I said what do you mean and he said you don't know, I said know what? He said I had first pick of any gun in my friends collection.
I did not even think twice and said I want the Martin Hagn single shot in 7x64 Brennecke, It was built for John T. Amber
Editor of Gun Digest. in 1986?

·
Grumpy Old Man
8,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A Mannlicher-Schonauer 6.5? WOW! Was it the full wood ? I've never been able to afford the luxury of such a rifle! I can dream though! My Wife gave up asking why, I never throw anything away ! Half your luck with the 'Martin Hagn'! I remember the writings of John T Amber well!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My dad introduced my sister and I to shotshell reloading on a Lee Load All about 40 years ago. When I restarted reloading 20+ years ago, I got a Lee Load All 2 shotshell press, then made the move to MEC shotshell presses. Now, I have MEC Sizemaster presses in 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410. My first metallic reloading press was a Hornady Classic I picked up used, but in really good shape. When MEC introduced the Marksman, I sold the Hornady. Yes, all single-stage presses. Reloading for 9 mm is slow, but effective; same for .223/5.56.

·
Registered
G43X, Colt Combat commander.
9 Posts
A Mannlicher-Schonauer 6.5? WOW! Was it the full wood ? I've never been able to afford the luxury of such a rifle! I can dream though! My Wife gave up asking why, I never throw anything away ! Half your luck with the 'Martin Hagn'! I remember the writings of John T Amber well!
Yes it was the full stock. I forgot to mention the only reason he sold it was to buy one in better condition! The one I had sold him 30 years before had just developed a slight crack at the wrist.
The one he got to replace is was as new! He left that one to his nephew in Seattle.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts