What spare parts for competition shooting?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by KeenansGarage, Feb 14, 2012.

1. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

Sor far, I have been lucky and my Glock has not broken in a competition, but I have seen other shooters have problems. Thus, I am going to put together some spare parts to keep me from having to withdraw just because a pin/spring/etc broke.

What would you guys/gals recommend I keep in my shooting bag?

2. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Slide lock Spring for your model
    Slide Lock
    Locking Block for your model
    Locking Block Pin if you have one
    Magazine spring for your model
    Trigger Pin
    Trigger spring or NY assy if that is what you are using

Just one of each and don't forget the Glock Tool for breakdown

3. KeenansGarage

10-4 Thanks. Have you had anything break on yours/friends yet during a competition?

4. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

A purchased rebuilt G-23 gen2 by Glock. I have had the slide lock spring break during an IDPA match. Gun worked flawlessly the whole stage. Well, until I removed the magazine, showed clear and released the slide. When I pointed the gun down, and pulled the trigger the slide fell forward and off the frame (imagine a train wreck going over a cliff). Never did find the slide lock.

Before I knew better, I shot the frame to pieces by not replacing the recoil spring at the correct intervals (3 to 5 thousand rounds). Glock replaced it for free.

Same gun, eventually, the barrel lug cracked and broke off during a GSSF match. Again, Glock replaced the barrel for free.

Through all that I have replaced two locking blocks and two locking block pins and one trigger pin.

The wife has never experienced any problems with any of her Glocks.

Oh, and I still shoot the G23 in all my GSSF matches and carry it during the winter months for my EDC gun.

5. KeenansGarage

Thats what I needed to know! I am thankful I have not had any problems yet, but want to be prepared should something happen.

6. wma3193

wma3193 New Member

I'm a Glock armorer, have been for 10 plus years, retired S.O. Dept armorer. Fair amount of experience with Glocks. The only parts that I have seen fail are trigger springs and a trigger pin on a 19. Never seen a NY trigger fail. Replace recoil spring after 5-8 k rounds.

7. KeenansGarage

What happened with the trigger pin? Did it just break?

8. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Yes, but usually you won't know until you do a complete stripdown.

9. wma3193

wma3193 New Member

Yes, As G-23 stated, it was discovered during a complete strip.

10. TH3180

TH3180 New Member

I just bring an extra gun. If all else fails I can take parts off of it.

11. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

I forgot to mention; at the GSSF Matches we always have Certified GLOCK Armorers at these matches. They have the parts on hand and can usually fix or upgrade any Glock gun brought to them off the firing line. That way you get to finish the match in a timely manner.

Other than the JEEP Brand, that is the best on spot customer service, I have ever witnessed.

12. KeenansGarage

We don't have a GSSF local yet. I doubt we ever will considering all the other competitions we have at our range. I wish we did, just as another way to practice. Maybe one day I will make it out of state to find and compete in one.

I wish I had that luxury! Maybe in due time, but at the moment, I only have my 34.

13. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

You could set up a stage and practice it. Even ask some buddies if they want to join in maybe. Might start something, ya never know!