Washington What OR county will issue CCP to WA resident?

Discussion in 'North West USA' started by scott_see, Jul 31, 2013.

1. scott_see

scott_see New Member

My CCP from Multnomah county expired and they don't do Washington residents any more. Any leads on a more WA friendly county in Oregon?

2. Silver-Bolt

Silver-Bolt Well-Known Member

Without an Oregon address you are pretty much screwed. You don't have to be a resident (Oregon drivers license) but you do have to have a home address in Oregon.

I have a buddy that splits his time between Oregon and Hawaii. He is a Hawaiian resident but also has a home in Portland. Multnomah county issued him a CCP.

3. rix4x4

rix4x4 Member

Grant County, check with OFF. Oregon Firearms Federation. Sal or Kevin will be able to help you out.

4. scott_see

scott_see New Member

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

5. sglide05

sglide05 Very Cool Member Supporter

I got mine in Multnomah County but that was a few years ago. I just checked their website and currently not accepting out of state applications.

6. FinancialDan

FinancialDan New Member

Columbia County accepts applications from WA residents. I just applied for mine today. You have to have a WA CPL already and it's $75.

7. sglide05

sglide05 Very Cool Member Supporter

Thank you for letting us know. I will keep that in mind.

8. scott_see

scott_see New Member

Did you have to come up with a compelling reason why you need to concealed carry in Columbia County? I'm not sure what I'd say to that. I checked out the sheriff's website and that's one "requirement."

9. FinancialDan

FinancialDan New Member

That is one of the requirements for non-residents... a letter to the Sheriff explaining why you want/need a permit issued in Columbia County. I wrote something along the lines of: "Dear Sheriff Dickerson, I am applying for an Oregon Concealed Handgun License as a measure of personal protection. I understand that the safety and security of my family and myself is first and foremost my own responsibility. I regularly travel to and through Columbia County for personal reasons such as camping and other outdoor activities. My business also takes me into Columbia County and as a family we regularly visit family in Oregon as my son attends Portland State University. Thank you for your consideration."

Whether or not they accept that as "compelling" or not remains to be seen. I guess I'll know in 3-4 weeks, which is when they told me to expect it in the mail. The instructor of the course I took suggested to keep it short and simple... visit family and friends... conduct business... etc. I figure we travel through the county every time we go out to Astoria, and I have clients that live in Columbia County. As I see it, the CHL is a state license, good anywhere in the state of Oregon, and we are in Oregon quite often for shopping, dining, and because my son goes to school there. I also plan on attending some shooting competitions in Oregon, hopefully with some regularity. Although I didn't really feel that added to my compelling reason of self-defense.

Also, the instructor of the course I took said he spoke to the Multnomah County Sheriff and was told that Multnomah will be issuing to WA residents again, hopefully in about April, I think he said. But they are just so backed up right now, they halted non-resident licensing.

10. G2145

G2145 New Member

That's ridiculous.

11. scott_see

scott_see New Member

Wish me luck. I've got my appointment at the sheriff's office on thurs. I really appreciate the info.

12. FinancialDan

FinancialDan New Member

Well, good luck. I mailed my application to UT on Sept 6th... they just charged my credit card today. I suppose that means they just started the background and I should have it by Thanksgiving. Supposed to have it within 60 days from when they cash your check or charge your card.

13. SK23

SK23 Blast from the past

Any updates? Good to go, I hope.

14. FinancialDan

FinancialDan New Member

I've got nothing new. Haven't heard back from OR or UT yet, but I wouldn't even expect to hear anything until at least mid-Oct for OR and mid- to late- Nov for UT. Waiting patiently. My only travel plans between now and then include CA, where it doesn't matter anyway, and MO, where I'm covered with my WA CPL anyway.

15. Silver-Bolt

We got our Utah at about 58 days.

16. FinancialDan

FinancialDan New Member

Was that 58 days from when you mailed the application or from when they cashed your check or charged your card?

17. scott_see

scott_see New Member

I talked to someone at the Multnomah Sheriff's office and it sounds like they will start giving CCP to WA residents sometime in 2014. I asked what the issue was and they said it's just a matter of being backlogged and wanting to service their local customers first. That's fair. So if for any reason Columbia County doesn't pull through for me, I've got a plan B.

18. Silver-Bolt

Mailed date. Once in hand they have 60 days to process.

19. FinancialDan

FinancialDan New Member

My UT permit came today. Wasn't expecting it for a while... I just took the class on Sept 5th.

20. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

congratulations and welcome to the club.