What is the purpose of the beavertail grips?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Roguebooger, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Roguebooger

Roguebooger New Member

I don't understand what they are designed to do. There's no hammer to bite my hand, so what is the purpose?

2. shaehawkins

shaehawkins New Member

I don’t see how I could use one personally but I also have stuff I put on my Glock for no purpose(anodized back plate for example) maybe it’s just for looks but it wouldn’t hurt to see how it feels if you have the chance, I was the same way about flat triggers on AR until I actually tested one out and it’s something you can feel more than explain how it helps

Jason75 likes this.

3. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Well-Known Member

If the build it, someone will buy it.

Jason75 and shaehawkins like this.
  4. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

To help prevent slide bite...

Slide bite 1.jpg

Slide bite 2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Mongoose, fireman5, cazbass and 8 others like this.
  5. sglide05

sglide05 Very Cool Member Supporter

They pretty much do the same thing the beavertail does on a 1911 except act as a safety. It's added protection for that occasion you accidentally put your hand in the way and your weapon bites you. I've seen it happen at a Glock GSSF match before. The person it happened to was not very happy and was bleeding a lot. Just my opinion.

Jason75 likes this.
  6. Jamie6482

Jamie6482 New Member

If it's a Gen 4 why don't you put the beaver tail on it

Jason75 likes this.
  7. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Well-Known Member

In addition to preventing slide bite. Also allows a higher perch of your grip to better control muzzle rise. Both my Gen 4 have them, the 43 is built in and I purchased an aftermarket beavertail for my 30S one of these days will be installed. Sometimes I’m just lazy or forget I have something.

Jason75 and shaehawkins like this.
  8. Roguebooger

Roguebooger New Member

Jason75 likes this.
  9. Silver-Bolt

Silver-Bolt Well-Known Member

Slide bite. I have a very high grip and without a beavertail I get the Glock rails cut into my hand.

Jason75 likes this.
  10. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member Supporter

To allow grabbing the gun high in the web for the greatest control, and also to prevent slide bite. one of the first things added to 1911's way, way back in the day.

Bob, is that your hand in the pic?

Jason75 likes this.
  11. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Nope! I borrowed the pictures from the Internet. :D

While I grip the stock 'high', I'm very rarely bit. That said, I do get 'nipped' a little bit on occasion. :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Bob :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    RustyRyan likes this.
  12. Florida Glockman

Florida Glockman New Member

Just bought a G41 on GB that came without the back straps, so I bought a set to avoid the slide bite pictured above, that most of us have experienced.

13. shaehawkins

shaehawkins New Member

I don’t grip mine high or have ever had slide bite but I went ahead and ordered a set on amazon for 13 bucks and they got here this morning and I kinda dig how the smooth one feels I’m going to the range today I’ll post how I felt about it on here

14. shaehawkins

shaehawkins New Member

[​IMG]

Jason75, Hollow-Point and TheKraken like this.
  15. shaehawkins

shaehawkins New Member

I lied I didn’t make it to the range this weekend But I will say that just carrying it all day yesterday and it’s feels much better in the hand on my g27 I’m sure it’s personal preference and idk how much better it will shoot but I’m not a great shot anyway so I’m sure I can’t get any worse, will update when I take it to the range.

Jason75 likes this.
  16. BigCatErnieLad

BigCatErnieLad New Member

Always enjoyed a good beaver...

oak96, Jason75, Hollow-Point and 2 others like this.
  17. Jamie6482

Jamie6482 New Member

[​IMG] this is my Glock 27 and I like it the way it is with the beavertail feel a lot better with the 13 round mag even better

Jason75 likes this.
  18. Jamie6482

Jamie6482 New Member

How many round in your G27

Jason75 likes this.
  19. shaehawkins

shaehawkins New Member

They advertise it as +1 but I was able to fit 2 more rounds in there for holds 11+1 now

20. Jamie6482

Jamie6482 New Member

I add the plus one on mine 9round magazine and I did not like you I like the 13 round mag better it balance out can I shoot better with