What is the big deal about the "New York" triggers?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Treal, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Treal

Treal New Member

I had one in my glock 30 SF and I thought it was terrible. It quickly got replaced with a stock spring.

2. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

It just adds a higher weight to the trigger pull. It is called a NY trigger spring because some cops in NY couldn't keep their finger off the trigger and kept accidentally shooting people so they made it harder to pull the trigger.

3. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

"accidentally" hahaha...is that what they call it. Lol :D

4. jimmyalbrecht

Yeah haha, I think it was an excuse in an attempt to get out of trouble. That's why I can't be a cop. All of my reports at some point would include the phrase "so that's when I shot him". He bowed up at me, so that's when I shot him. He turned and ran, so that's when I shot him lol.

5. Trotac

Trotac New Member

The NY triggers act completely different than the other triggers. The 'standard' Glock trigger utilizes a coil spring which is what gives the light take up followed by the rolling break. With the NY triggers, the trigger feels the same all the way through take up and the break. In other words, the pressure required on the trigger is constant and there is no discernible difference in take up/ break/ over-travel. The NY 2 (the REAL heavy one) is an atrocious trigger!

I got to play with several combinations at the Armorer school, but I found myself having no desire to get rid of my standard connectors and coil springs.

6. jimmyalbrecht

Both of those sound nasty. I like the stock trigger because you know when it is about to break.

7. MattA

MattA New Member

I like the 4.5 pound triggers

8. The real reason for the design is because NY cops were transitioning from revolvers, which have a heavier and constant pull and the new trigger made it an easy transition after years of training and experience with the revolvers. It had nothing todo with inadvertently shooting people.

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum Treal !!

10. baccusboy

baccusboy New Member

EEewww.. those NY2 triggers sound like the triggers in the S&W Sigma.

11. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh yes it did. The NYPD were red stripping themselves at an alarming rate as they transitioned out of revolvers into the Glocks.

I had three foster brothers and a sister that were all NYPD (yeah, I know. I'm the black sheep of the family at NJDOC). One worked at headquarters during that period. The NYPD was considering cancelling the rest of the Glock contract and going to the Smith 9MM because of the AD's. The "accidental" shootings (2) were only fuel to the fire. The NY trigger was Glocks solution to the problem.

Personally speaking, the few of you are right about the feel. When I bought my G36, I got it with a NY trigger. After my first, and only session with that trigger, I came to the conclusion that;
    1. My finger was sore as hell by the time I got done, and,
    2. I believe that trigger is one of the reasons that the NYPD can shoot at a guy 42x and only hit him 4.

I think the NY trigger is an all around bad idea. Training and practice is the solution.

12. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

Jees, I can even remember that first NYPD accidental shooting blamed on the Glock. It was done by an Emergency Services cop. Back before SWAT, they had the TPF (Tactical Police Force) and the ES squad. ES was like tactical rescue while the TPF was the last thing on earth you wanted kicking down your door.

I think they used to feed those guys raw meat using a whip and a chair. NYC finally disbanded them after a few ugly and costly incidents.

13. This makes it sound like the same cops were constantly shooting people, in multiple different occasions.

If it happened only twice, it's not statistically significant to say that was 'the' reason.

That being said, my statement is true to fact, it wasn't about lots of people getting shot.

14. fls348

fls348 New Member

I use the olive (8#) NY trigger with a 3.5# connector on my G17 that I carry at work and I really kind of like it. It's about 1/2# heavier in this configuration than a stock set up but the trigger pull is consistent with a very clean break and a firm reset.

I'm by no means trying to sell anyone on it but after tying it for about a month on the range I'm pretty sold on it. My OD gun is a stock set up that I'm considering switching over as well.

I have had tried the orange (12#) NY triggers and those things are disastrous no matter what you do to them...

15. Arrestya

Arrestya New Member

The NY trigger was NYPD's answer to lack of training resulting in accidental discharges. The trigger is horrible in my opinion...why anyone would ever put this into there Glock as a civilian is beyond me.

16. jimmyalbrecht

Forgive me for not wording my statement to your specifications. Everyone else seemed to get the gist of it. There were some accidental discharges, and this is why the NY tirgger spring was introduced.

17. fls348

fls348 New Member

Certainly someone who's less interested in making a trigger as light as possible and more interested in feel.

I tried every combination there was out there and every one always felt mushy with to much creep. I could care less about how many pounds my trigger is, I'd rather it break crisp and clean and then reset firm and positive. That's exactly what I achieved with the olive NY trigger and the 3.5# connector.

As I said previously, I'm not trying to get anyone to switch, or sell anyone on this idea; However with a few range trips the benefits of this set up seemed to show through more and more each time I went. Personally I'd rather have a 6# trigger that broke crisp and rest firmly than switching springs and connectors to get a trigger as light as possible, at least for a SD, CC or duty weapon.

Light triggers do have there place for sure, I have one on my G20 and will be putting one on my G34 (when I get one), but these triggers in my opinion aren't the best for a defensive gun.

18. Arrestya

Arrestya New Member

I don't bother with changing my trigger in my glocks, as I have learned and I hope none of you ever find out the trigger really dosent matter when you are exchanging gun fire ....what matters most is your shot placement and penetration....