What If's....

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by RRoss, Apr 19, 2012.

1. RRoss

RRoss If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it! Lifetime Supporting Member

I've had a couple scenarios rattling around my head for a while and I figured this forum would be a good resource to utilize. I live in Pa and I know there are quite a few LEO's, EMT's, and Paramedics on here so I need to pick your brains specifically.
    I carry IWB and i started thinking about the possibility of getting into an accident with my firearm on me. If I were to get into an accident, how do I go about securing my gun before going to the hospital? What if I'm unconscious when the medical crews get to me...how will they handle it if they find it. Or will it impede my treatment? How will the LFO's treat me (unconscious) when they are told I have a gun on me? What If they get me to the hospital and THEN find my gun...then what?
    After all of this, my question is...how do I get it back? Is there going to be a ton of red tape to go through to reclaim it?

2. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

You better make sure you are carrying your LTCF. After they take your weapon and the police deem it an accident you would have to place a formal request to get your firearm back. Takes some time but you can get it back.

3. RRoss

RRoss If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it! Lifetime Supporting Member

Sorry, just re-read my question....The "Accident" I'm referring to is a CAR accident...sorry for the confusion. Also, I always have my LCF on me as well as my DL.

4. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

Then that's all you really need. They go thru your wallet normally to find out who you are, if you are unconscious just keep your DL with the LCF and it should be fine.

5. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

I've actually had this happen. I secured the gun in my car and let him know to contact me when he got out of the hospital, and I would return it. He was admitted, so after the end of the day, I secured it into evidence for "safekeeping", gave him a receipt, and came at a later time to pick up the gun.

6. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Hadn't really thought of that, great topic!

Ive got a window slot for my drivers license in my wallet, so when my CCW permit comes in it will sit behind the DL that way both will get seen immediately.

7. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

That is a great question! Thanks for asking and thanks for the responses guys!

8. SquadCapt4

SquadCapt4 New Member

35 year firefighter/paramedic here. If you are in a motor vehicle crash (MVC now...the almighty lawyers have deemed there's no such thing as a motor vehicle "accident" :rolleyes: ) and are unconscious, we will safety the weapon and turn it over to LEO. We always do full body, hands on assessments to find fractures, internal bleeds, etc. Through that process, we'll find your weapon. We may hesitate long enough to secure the firearm, but that will only be a few seconds. Your medical treatment will not suffer. To all that may ever be unfortunate enough to find yourself in this predicament, call the local or state LEO that worked the wreck and explain that you had a firearm that the paramedics probably turned over to the Officer. They should return it to you without any problem.

9. RRoss

Thank you. You confirmed my suspicions about how it would be handled, I just wanted to hear it from someone in the field who might have experienced this from the other side. Being new to gun ownership, I want to know as much as possible because of all the leagal issues that can be associated with it.
    Thanks again!

10. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

I was in a car accident once. Before the ambulance even got there I had the cop secure my weapon in his trunk. I had his name so I had no problem the next day getting my weapon back.

Please note though, I am a LEO, so my experience will probably be different than many of yours.

But, if you're still conscious when the cop gets there, the sooner you direct him to your firearm, the better all around.

Better he finds it before the paramedics.

Plus, if the vehicle catches fire and rounds start going off because the cop wasn't informed about a weapon, it could go down as reckless endangerment.