Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Happy Member :)
5,225 Posts
Good luck trying to draw your weapon on it. Those things are beast and it isn't going to die right away unless you shoot it in the brain. Although gators aren't dumb and usually won't attack unless they are super hungry or have babies around. There is some attacks that happen for no reason but really unlikely.

Attachments

·
Hard Work! Dedication!
4,537 Posts
Idk. I wouldn't put myself around the ocean or any body of water that gators or crocodiles are in.
I'm afraid of large bodies of water, well not so much the water but what lives in them.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
You'd stand a better chance if you fed it to him, he might actually choke on it.

They've been around since the last ELE. Built Ford Tough, as they say.

·
5,225 Posts
I doubt it, gators have some tough skin. Best bet is to stay calm (lol I know this is just about impossible) and avoid the mouth. Gators aren't dumb even though they have small brains, they would rather get and easy meal than one that's gonna fight back.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gladesbassin said:
I doubt it, gators have some tough skin. Best bet is to stay calm (lol I know this is just about impossible) and avoid the mouth. Gators aren't dumb even though they have small brains, they would rather get and easy meal than one that's gonna fight back.
lol. Well I don't plan on finding out. I live in Florida.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I guess none of you have put out duck decoys in chest deep water at night after just shining a spot light only too shine the eyes of many gators in the water.then one bumps your leg. Don't bother them,they don't bother you.

·
5,225 Posts
kulok77 said:
I guess none of you have put out duck decoys in chest deep water at night after just shining a spot light only too shine the eyes of many gators in the water.then one bumps your leg. Don't bother them,they don't bother you.
Can't say I have but I'm not worried about gators, I fish around em all the time. Actually I respect em beyond belief for what they are capable of. Awesome creatures they are.

·
8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)
3,451 Posts
It is very unlikely you would even have to do anything other than get out of the water. Unless it is a cow gator with hatchlings, that might be a different story. Or, if you fell on a gator, he might attack you just because you landed on him. Even then, it's hard to say; I've smacked gators on the head with boat paddles before and had them take off the other way and I've also had them bite at the paddle. MOST gators are as scared of you as you are of them. If you 'fell' in the water, he is more than likely going to go sub-surface and head the other way because you startled him. I've seen this over and over. Gators are not NORMALLY aggressive towards humans.

One place where gators tend to attack humans (and human's pets) is in a golf course community type place where the snow bird has been feeding him bread so she can take pics and send them to her grandchildren up north. It is unwise to feed gators; unless you are baiting them up to you so you can pop him in the head with a bang stick so you can take home supper. I like to catch them on a top water plug; you get a good fight and get him to the boat where you can hit him with the bang stick so you don't lose him. Dead gators normally sink until they begin to bloat, then they resurface.

I've wade fished in many ponds where I knew there were gators. I only stray from shore enough to get past the grass in about knee deep water, usually not more than 20 feet from shore. And ALWAYS in the wild where the gators are also wild. I don't like wading where it is likely that people have fed the gators. Especially where they appear to lack a fear of humans.

One encounter I had with a gator while wading was within a few feet of a ten footer. I waded out past some heavy grass so I could cast. I was fishing there for several minutes when I looked down and he was laying on the bottom looking at me. I jumped back, making a commotion and when I did he also spun around slinging water everywhere and took off. My buddy said we both looked like a scene from an old cartoon with us both heading in opposite directions (he swears I was walking on water). The gator surfaced a minute or two later about 40 yards from where the encounter occurred. I guess I was being too quiet when I entered the water; I am sure I wasn't completely quiet (I like to make a little noise when I enter the water so whatever is there will hopefully leave), he must have thought I was a bird or fish since I wasn't completely quiet and eased over to check me out.

To answer your question. If you get attacked, make sure you shoot him point blank if it's under water. Many gators have been killed with a .22lr or .22 magnum. Their hide is not as impervious to a gun shot as it looks. Or pull out your Benchmade and commence to poking the top of his head full of holes and preferably cut him crossways behind the head, in an attempt to sever the spinal cord. That is, IF he doesn't clamp down on you and roll with you until you drown.

I wade a lot, in both fresh and salt water but NEVER without a good stiff bladed knife that's easily accessible. I don't fancy becoming silt on the sea floor.

·
5,225 Posts
Well said eye peeled, I see people out in the glades feeding gators all the time, so I'm the only person that will tell em not to and threatin to call the fwc on them. I hate seeing that because ive been bothered by gators while fishing and that's the reason.

·
Carry on my friends!!!!
974 Posts
kulok77 said:
My god father had one steal one of his mallard decoys in Lake Okochobee, he thought it was hilarious!

·
195 Posts
I still think the dude from "Gator Boys" is crazy brave. I've met him and he's a nice guy but I just can't believe when I see him just hop in the murky water to go rescue/ catch a gator on that show.

Main rule I know is not to get between a gator and the water. That is where they want to be if they decide to run so if you are in the way you become a threat. I remember a lady jogger got taken out and I think that was what caused it. That and maybe the gator had been fed by humans making it a problem gator.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Bullets lose all penetrating power within just a couple of feet when fired through water. There are documented stories of WWII pilots who've been shot down over water who dove under to hide from strafing runs, actually get hit by machine gun fire but were uninjured because the bullets that hit them had lost all momentum going through the water.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.