what hollow point do you carry

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by primalrights, Sep 25, 2012.

1. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

There is Ranger T and Ranger bonded, the basic Ranger T is not bonded, the PDX1 is bonded.

It is a joke about the SXT and BT being exactly the same, they are very similar, but the SXT did get some minor changes (beyond the removal of the black lubalox) that are supposed to make it expand better.

2. BarryM63

BarryM63 New Member

And all this time I thought they were just less menacing and tinged with the evil of Satan... ;-)

3. sopp

sopp New Member

Soo basically are the sxts a good bullet or no?

4. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Theres not a JHP from any major manufacturer (winchester, remington, hornady, etc) that does not do what the JHP is meant to do...expand and not penetrate as deep as FMJ

5. sopp

sopp New Member

Yaaa that's true ... I prefer the bonded the jhps tho

6. Shamrockbail

Shamrockbail New Member

Yea, i remember that, he emptied the gun point blank into the Suspects Belly, i dont believe that it was his chest.. The Trooper took a single round under his armpit, subsequently bled out in middle of a radio transmission.. I still get chills when I think about that ! The def had a suspended license but wasnt a wanted individual ! Condition orange is everything along w the Ability to "slow things down" thru adrenaline management, I used to practice this all the time while running Code to Calls, I dont get Tunnel vision any longer thru breathing and total awareness of surroundings at a hot call !

That Cone of vision will get you got real Fast !

7. GlockYou

GlockYou New Member

.40 s&w Hornady Critical Defense 165 grain or 165 grain Speer Gold Dot. I carry the Hornady mostly because I've shot it the most.

8. sopp

sopp New Member

Just bought 175 grain critical defense for my 40cal lastnight...I heard/read some good reviews on this round.. U hear the same???

9. GlockfanAZ

GlockfanAZ New Member

I just shot the critical defense 9mm today for the first time, at some phone books. The bullet clogged up, and went thru two phone books, and half way thru the 3rd. It barely expanded at all. All 20 acted like fmjs. Granted phone books aren't human flesh, but I wasn't to happy with them. I was kind of glad I was shooting them off.

10. sopp

sopp New Member

Yaaaa idn tnoutdoors did a gelatin test on the critical duty both for 9mm and 40 they had pretty good results

11. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

There's a difference between phonebooks and gelatin....

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  12. sopp

sopp New Member

Ya which is more of an accurate test. ?

13. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

. They test different things.

If you're testing expansion, shooting into dry phone books will indeed plug up the holes as the round acts like hole punch. Dry phone book shooting shows penetration through dry laminate objects. To test expansion soak a phone book in water, then shoot it.

Hollow points need some sort of liquid to allow expansion to take place. I forget the actual terminology.

Shooting in water jugs allows you to test and capture the bullets expansion profile.

Shooting in gel shows penetration in a "human analog", allows for capture of the bullet to see expansion characteristics, and allows one to see wound channel and damage from hydrostatic shock. It's limited though as its not 100% representation of flesh.

Good tests involve some sort of flesh or gelatin with "real world" clothing or barriers in front.

So they're all good tests and show different things.

D

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  14. iDave

iDave New Member

^^^ Agreed. Speaking of water jug tests there are a couple on YouTube for Speer Gold Dot 180g .40 (as well as gelatin) and since reviewing that is what i carry in my glock 22, and i very seriously doubt it would fail to do its job as a bullet.... IMO lol

15. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

Hornady Critical Duty flex tip 135grn

2012-09-28_11-48-56_568-1.jpg

16. sopp

sopp New Member

Ya I got the same round

17. GlockfanAZ

GlockfanAZ New Member

This is true, I just shot the CD 9mm at phone books, and it went thru 2 1/2 of them, didn't expand, and acted like a FMJ.

18. sopp

sopp New Member

Mine are +p tho

19. sopp

sopp New Member

Well said buddy !!! Soo that tnoutdoors knos what he's doin than hahaha