what hollow point do you carry

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by primalrights, Sep 25, 2012.

1. People that worry about over penetration with hand gun rounds needs to watch this one. :D

2. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

For most people it seems the experts' testimonies mean nothing, going in one ear and out the other.

For many years I too was sold on the ammo companies pitches of needing HPs for 'stopping power' and too avoid over penetration. After reading alot of Dr Martin Fackler's work, seeing alot of people recover after being shot with HPs, and most importantly (for me) watching the Tpr Mark Coates video; I finally changed my mind and now I'm convinced handgun HP ammo is a genious marketing scheme and I instead stick to FMJs.

3. An from what he was showing, a AR-15 5.56 FMJ round is a lot more dangerous then a handgun FMJ but people still use AR's for self defense.

4. BORIS

BORIS New Member

Waiting for what? Case law in the history of this country has zero legal problems with handloads for use in legal use of lethal force cases. I had a talk with Ayoob once and asked him to show me a conviction, he couldnt, and cannt because there never has been one. Despite his opinion in the rags, he has no fact to base what he publishes.

5. mtn4lyfe

mtn4lyfe New Member

First shot is a black talon then followed up by Speer gold dot and Winchester back and forth between Speer and Winchester. I want to get a box of black talons. But they r really hard to find.

6. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

And expensive ....

7. Leper

Leper New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon

Personally I think the newer versions are more effective. If for no other reason that you can now get them in +P and +P+ versions. My duty load is this...
    http://www.sgammo.com/product/winchester/50-rd-box-9mm-winchester-ranger-127gr-p-t-series-ammo-ra9ta

If you want very detailed information on the line you can download the Winchester LE catalog here...
    http://catalogs.winchester.com/2013/LE/

edit: Wow! Just looked at that since it is the newest catalog and Winchester removed the "Handgun Bullet Barrier Testing Protocol" page which was the best part of the catalog. If you want a copy of the 2012 LE Catalog that has this just pm me with an email address.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  8. mgardner

mgardner Member

After having a 40 S&W 165 grain Winchester PP go through one side of a standing particle board pantry and end up in a box of cereal after being stopped by two jars of Jiff peanut butter I went to using 180 grain FMJs which will penetrate a bit further if you must shoot through "soft cover". I know from USPSA competition that most handgun rounds barely penetrate the plastic 55 gallon barrels we use for barricades too (I've watched them fall out the far side and bounce along the ground). If you are going to a gunfight definitely take a rifle.

9. chaplainjosh

chaplainjosh New Member

In my G26 I carry Hornady Critical Defense 9mm 115g. I prefer the lighter grain for handling.

10. MadKaw

MadKaw New Member

Hornady Critical Defense in my SR9C, my Glock 30SF, and my.380

11. audiophile

audiophile Killer of all things donut............

Right now I have 165gr Federal Premium Hydra Shoks. But when I start carrying, I am going to get The Speer Gold dots. These are what my dad gets issued from his department.

12. iRockGlock

iRockGlock Well-Known Member

Now that I carry a Glock 22 Gen 3, I carry PDX1 180gr for colder seasons and PDX1 165 gr for hotter seasons

13. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Interesting. I've said in other threads Ayoob has made some silly statements. Like most of the "experts" out there I take some of their advice with a grain of salt. The only issue i would foresee with handloads would be if you were violating a policy as a police officer.