what hollow point do you carry

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by primalrights, Sep 25, 2012.

1. primalrights

primalrights New Member

recently ordered a box of federal hi shock jacketed hollow points in 40 s&w and was looking for opinions and recommendations for when I rotate out the rounds.

2. gladesbassin

gladesbassin Happy Member :) Supporter

I use those in 9mm in my Glock, in my lc9 I use Winchester pdx1 +p.

3. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

I use Hornady FPD TAP in my G22.

4. primalrights

primalrights New Member

this is in a g22 and I forgot to mention they are 180 grain I lack the knowledge of what difference the grain makes so any input on that would be much appreciated

5. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Grain is the weight of the projectile, lower weight gives you higher velocities, more weight gives you a harder impact, finding the right balance is the key. I use 155gr Hornady FPD TAP.

6. I use Federal HST 124 gr in my 17

7. 175 grain Hornady critical duty 40 S&W or 185 grain Hornady critical defense 45 ACP.

8. In .357 Sig 125gr Remington Golden Saber bonded,and in .40 S&W going to switch to my 180gr Federal HST's for this cooler weather.

9. spencer17

spencer17 New Member

Underwood ammo. 9mm JHP +P+ 115g

10. 9mm i use either federal hst 124 +p in the primary mag, and 2 spare mags on duty belt, the third spare mag i change out from FMJ to critical duty +p

40 i ONLY use ranger t series 180 gr

45 i have to use either the critical defense or ranger t series (non +p) due to age of the weapon

11. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

I use hornady critical defense and pdx1s. Been wanting to try some ranger t's...

12. wouldnt recommend them in 9mm, cavity is too tiny

13. primalrights

primalrights New Member

me living in the area of az that I live in it doesn't get very cold thus people don't really wear all that much thick clothing do you guys think the 180 grain hollow points would over penetrate?

srry for the basic question again I don't know much about the ballistics of the rounds i just know my firearms.

14. from my experience, the 180 in 40 cal is like the 147 in the 9mm, wont cause as much damage as a lighter faster moving round, but each defensive situation is different, the most recent one i am familiar with is WWB 9mm 147 gr. through a hood on a truck, glass and doors and barely caused tissue damage,

my local police department uses the 180 t series and never had an over penetration issue, and some shootings have been on the beach without clothing on the receiving end

15. primalrights

primalrights New Member

my main concern is with harming others that are not my intended target.

yes I know shot placement and training but no matter how much of either you do I hear there is nothing like the real thing so in the even I miss my mark or even hit my mark I am concerned with me thinking my back drop a wall or something of the sort would stop my hollow points but rather they would go through and harm others on the other end.

16. almost any bullet will go through a wall and can hit anyone, its a risk we all face, as far as training, i tend to run before i shoot, or something that gets the adrenaline pumping, and you are right, standard shooting ranges are nothing like the real shoot incident, as far as missing your target, sometimes the best shot is the one not taken, only use your weapon as the absolute last defense,

ive been in 2 shootings and couldnt remember the details after they happened, except that i knew the threat was a risk to great bodily harm to me or the others around me and couldnt escape,

moving and shooting will really help you, even a friend yelling at you while you are shooting causes high stress situations, it helps,

17. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

Winchester Ranger T, 230 Grain +P, in .45 ACP

18. spencer17

spencer17 New Member

Do you guys have any experience with the Underwood Ammo 115g JHP +P+? Was wondering what other people thought of them

19. Remington Golden Saber .230 gr .45.

20. go with at least a 124gr but they are nice