Glock Forum banner
4,761 - 4,780 of 5,384 Posts
Finally got my buddys shotgun back together that i freshened up for him.

repainted the receiver, cold blued the barrel, the extractor was broken, only ones available were for a 16 gauge, he ordered one to see if we could get it to work. I had to file down the face of the extractor that contacts the receiver as it was too long, also hand filed the notch for the shell that has to match the groove in the opening of the chamber. Sanded the old finish off the stock and fore end. Fixed a gouge in the right side of the stock and a small split in the curve behind the receiver. Got it stained and applied 8 coats of satin wipe on poly. I wish the stain would of taken more evenly but i believe its birch and ive read that birch stocks especially the cheap birch stocks are hard to stain evenly. Im pretty happy with it, im sure he will be too.

Brown Wood Air gun Shotgun Trigger

Wood Metal Pipe Roof Flooring

Brown Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun

Wood Beige Metal Tints and shades Pattern

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior Rim Muffler

Well the old Sheriff’s Department Remington 870 is done the way I wanted it.
I switched out the factory barrel for a Mossberg made 870 breacher barrel that I had on another old Police 870 I had modded out years ago.
The Wilson Combat +2 mag extension with righthander sling mount.
A Surefire DSF-870 600 lumens forend I bought years ago on clearance at a Walmart of all places. I think I paid under $200, new in the box.
It has the Hogue 12” LOP stock with overmold on the grip.
Can’t wait to shoot it!
Material property Wood Metal Office supplies Fashion accessory

Well the old Sheriff’s Department Remington 870 is done the way I wanted it.
I switched out the factory barrel for a Mossberg made 870 breacher barrel that I had on another old Police 870 I had modded out years ago.
The Wilson Combat +2 mag extension with righthander sling mount.
A Surefire DSF-870 600 lumens forend I bought years ago on clearance at a Walmart of all places. I think I paid under $200, new in the box.
It has the Hogue 12” LOP stock with overmold on the grip.
Can’t wait to shoot it!
View attachment 280820
Damned nice !

Finally got my buddys shotgun back together that i freshened up for him.

repainted the receiver, cold blued the barrel, the extractor was broken, only ones available were for a 16 gauge, he ordered one to see if we could get it to work. I had to file down the face of the extractor that contacts the receiver as it was too long, also hand filed the notch for the shell that has to match the groove in the opening of the chamber. Sanded the old finish off the stock and fore end. Fixed a gouge in the right side of the stock and a small split in the curve behind the receiver. Got it stained and applied 8 coats of satin wipe on poly. I wish the stain would of taken more evenly but i believe its birch and ive read that birch stocks especially the cheap birch stocks are hard to stain evenly. Im pretty happy with it, im sure he will be too.

View attachment 280811

View attachment 280812

View attachment 280813

View attachment 280814

View attachment 280815
You should be proud of yourself ! That is truly beautiful craftsman's ship!

My stoeger coach gun came in and i picked it up yesterday. Luckily no damage, that i can find anyway, they packaged the pieces pretty well from the factory. It definitely could have a little better fitment, really the worst part is on the stock behind the trigger guard where the channel for the receiver is a tad too long but it mates up to the top and sides of the receiver pretty well. Watched a few videos on youtube about disabling the auto safety and areas to polish to smooth up the opening and closing, yall know i cant leave well enough alone lol.

The stoeger has a feature when you break the barrel open that it automatically switches the safety on. Its not a big deal but i can see where it would be annoying having to switch the safety off everytime. So i watched a few videos on disabling the auto safety. One involves shortening the auto safety rod and the other involves removing the roll pin connecting the safety bar and remove the safety bar from the safety lever mechanism, removing the safety bar is easier but renders the safety useless completely. I decided to shorten the auto safety rod which disables the auto safety but still allows the safety to be used manually.

Here you can see the rod extending from the auto safety guide hole, how it works is when the safety is off and you push the break lever to the side to open the shotgun the rod pushes rearward and switches the safety on.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

I shortened the rod to fit flush with the auto safety rod guide hole. I also removed about 1.5 coils off the action spring and ground the cut end flat which makes the lever easier to push and is supposed to make the shotgun easier to open and easier to be cocked. I cold blued all raw edges and reassembled. With the rod shortened when you push the break lever to the side the rod is too short to switch the safety on.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

I really like that this mod still retains the manual safety. Here is the safety manually switched on

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory Shotgun

Here is the safety manually switched off.

Air gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

I also polished the pivot areas on the receiver and fore end.

Camera accessory Gadget Personal protective equipment Bumper Strap

Wood Rectangle Tool Hardwood Composite material

Im pretty happy with the wood, i think it looks pretty good for A grade.

Brown Wood Air gun Revolver Trigger

Brown Wood Plant Shotgun Hardwood

Also i swapped in some stainless screws in the buttplate to match the fore end nut inserts and the satin nickel triggers

Composite material Font Carbon Musical instrument accessory Wood

Wood Everyday carry Fashion accessory Rectangle Metal

The next few days i plan on polishing a few areas on the barrel lug and maybe extractor. Im also thinking about smoothing the chambers a little.

Got the barrel cleaned up from the shipping grease they use from the factory. polished the barrel lug pivot and the lock up lug. The extractor was tight as hell and i had to knock it loose with a punch and hammer, the shaft of it was bent, luckily after a few taps with a brass hammer i got it straightened back out, hopefully it doesnt break, got it all back together, it is still on the tight side, i have to put my hand around the fore end and barrel to break it open but i believe itll loosen up after its been shot some, i didnt want to take any material off the receiver or the fore end. It closes like butter though. I left the chambers as they were, new shells drop right in and you can shuck them out without having to grab them but not sure how much tighter the shells will get after they have been fired.

Wood Gun accessory Metal Shotgun Fashion accessory

Wood Sculpture Flooring Floor Waist

Air gun Wood Shotgun Trigger Gun accessory

Wood Composite material Metal Hardwood Natural material

I’m definitely a little late to the game, but I finally bought a micro compact. Bought it from Buds without ever even holding the gun. But, I gotta tell you that I love this gun. It feels much bigger then I thought, the trigger was a pleasant surprise and the fit and finish are top notch. Just shot 100 rounds with zero issues. I was leaning towards the Savage Stance but decided to go with the original.
Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

I think with 2 3/4" bird shot loads you will not find it unpleasant,I once did a stage called the shotgun run that required 25 rounds. I didn't find it bad at all, the problem was the gun had to be loaded from rounds on the body and my shotgun belt only held 16 so I stuffed my vest pockets full.

im gonna do it while i can lol. All kidding aside i appreciate the wisdom and input that i received over the years from you guys who are older than me and have been there and done that.
My first gun was a Shotgun. A Mossberg 590. I shot the heck out of it. Loved it. Then I got into police work and discovered the Remington 870 and really fell in love.
The Chief and other officers that were a bit older than myself would bellyache about qualifying with the shotgun. I pretty much called them pusses and grabbed the shotgun and told them, I’ll show you how it’s done!
Well they got their revenge. They snuck a heavy magnum shell about half way in the tube.
I’m rapidly shucking that slide and tearing the center out of the silhouette when I get the BIG BOOMER! Almost thought I broke my nose.
They were laughing but I wasn’t too pleased.😡

My first gun was a Shotgun. A Mossberg 590. I shot the heck out of it. Loved it. Then I got into police work and discovered the Remington 870 and really fell in love.
The Chief and other officers that were a bit older than myself would bellyache about qualifying with the shotgun. I pretty much called them pusses and grabbed the shotgun and told them, I’ll show you how it’s done!
Well they got their revenge. They snuck a heavy magnum shell about half way in the tube.
I’m rapidly shucking that slide and tearing the center out of the silhouette when I get the BIG BOOMER! Almost thought I broke my nose.
They were laughing but I wasn’t too pleased.😡
I had the same experience ! Mine was with a single barrel 12 g ! The owner was standing ready to shoot ! Stopped opened the gun and asked if I'd like a shot ? No worries said I and took over ! The only person who didn't know he'd loaded a 3 inch magnum was me until I fired !

4,761 - 4,780 of 5,384 Posts