Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may sound stupid asking this but I'm new to guns (getting my first Glock next week!). I've heard the term "dry firing" used on here a lot and was curious what it meant. Does it hurt your gun to dry fire? I've heard some people say it can hurt it but others have said it doesn't matter.

·
Lead Farmer
2,882 Posts
Dry firing is when you pull the trigger with an unloaded gun. Only guns you shouldnt dry fire are rim fire type guns. Ex: 1911

·
I'm Back!
260 Posts
Dry firing is when you are pulling the trigger of the gun with no rounds in the chamber.

With certain weapons it can cause damage to the firing pin since there is no round there to absorb the impact. With Glocks, I've heard that it does not cause the damage. Please bare in mind that I am not an armorer though.

__EDIT___

If you are afraid of causing damage to your firing pin you can alway buy "Snap Caps" which are plastic bullets that have a spring loaded primer to absorb that impact.

·
Registered
486 Posts
"Dry firing" is the term used when (after clearing chamber and confirming gun is un loaded) pulling the trigger with out a round in chamber. It has been shown that this has no ill affects on Glock pistols. That is one of the steps to disassemble gun.
Not good for rim-fire guns such as a .22lr.

·
Lead Farmer
2,882 Posts
brutusvk said:
Just to clarify, a 1911 isn't a rimfire. A 22lr would be an example of a rimfire.
A 1911 also shouldnt be dry fired, least not without snap caps, which was what i was trying to get across. But i do see what you mean by saying a 1911 isnt rimfire lol, i should have made myself more clearer.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I knew what you meant but I figured someone might misunderstand. And you know the 1911 purist, disciples of John Browning get thier feelings hurt easily. :)

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
14,133 Posts
That's... Mr. John Moses Browning to you son...!!

Greatest and most prolific firearm inventor this world has ever...and will ever see !!

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
Its also amazing practice. I do a lot of dry fire practice. I know I read Randi Rogers spends like half an hour a day doing dry fire drills on her Glocks.

Short of it, dry fire your Glock till you sprain your finger :D

·
Registered
13,460 Posts

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
Nice! I actually just practice sans the mag usually for this reason, but this will give me some weight back!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I spoke with a local gunsmith who makes his living building 1911s and he told me that dry firing is ok. What you DON'T want to do is let the slide slam shut on an empty chamber. But that's one gunsmiths experience.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Happysniper1 said:
Don't know if many know it, but you can get a special "dry-firing" practice magazine for Glocks. It is a weighted plastic piece shaped like a magazine but it will not engage the slide lock for when you dry-fire with this inserted the slide will not lock back.

Glock Store has them (don't know who else does, others, I am sure) here : http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/4047_Dry-Fire+Practice+Magazine/?return=%3ftpl%3Dsearch%26search_val%3Dpractice%2Bmagazine
Has anyone ever tried using one of these practice mags? Sounds interesting...

One can definitely feel the difference between a Glock with a loaded mag and one without.

·
Registered
624 Posts
That's... Mr. John Moses Browning to you son...!!

Greatest and most prolific firearm inventor this world has ever...and will ever see !!
Yeah, he was smart. He was like Jeopardy smart!

I spoke with a local gunsmith who makes his living building 1911s and he told me that dry firing is ok. What you DON'T want to do is let the slide slam shut on an empty chamber. But that's one gunsmiths experience.
This is correct.

·
Hiding in plain sight....
18,120 Posts
I have many 'targets' that I have 'shot' mentally via dry firing! With a Glock, there are no problems, but I think that has already been answered! ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts