What do you store your gun cleaning supplies in?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by SuperSport, Jul 3, 2012.

1. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

Question for you shooters. Before I just go out and try to find a tool box from Home Depot/Lowes for my gun cleaning supplies – I might as well run it by you guys just in case there’s some cool new-fangled storage type box specifically made for this purpose. So show me what you got/use for your gun cleaning supplies.

Was recently at Sportsmans Warehouse and came across storage boxes/containers from MTM Case-Gard and Plano but for what they're for - maybe on the spendy side.

Good chance for a little show & tell.

MTM Case-Gard:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plano

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. ncnrmedic

ncnrmedic New Member

I use an ammo box my wife bought me from Gander Mountain on sale. I think it was something like $9. They're not very effective at carrying large amounts of ammo due to the weight, but my cleaning supplies fit in it nicely, it has a little removable top piece for brushes and the like.

3. Graves

Graves New Member

I have a tackle box that I bought from Wal-Mart. I keep in it, all of my cleaning rods, brushes, swabs, punches, screwdrivers, and every other tool I could possibly need to clean or do maintenance on my firearms. It was a very cost effective and efficient way to store all of my supplies. I also have a metal tool box that I keep under my work bench and I keep my Dremel and all my bits, as well as my bigger wrenches, clamps, scissors, etc. in there. I have a nice little work bench set up if I do say so myself. Not to mention it was all built and set up with my own two hands.

4. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

I use a Stanley Toolbox from Lowes:
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_174828-355-...=stanley+tool+box&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=

Not sure how much I paid, but it was really cheap.
    Enough little compartments in the lids to fit brushes, jags, q-tips, etc.
    There's a removable tray for tooth brushes, pics, small screw drivers, flashlights, rod parts.
    The large lower storage area is big enough for bore snakes, cleaning patches, small bottles of gun lube and 1 big bottle of Hoppes #9 on its side. A note on the bottled stuff, I store each on in its own Ziploc bag. The Hoppes bottles all tend to leak when stored on their side.

It's good enough for now, very lightweight and portable. Any of my less used items like the punches, my glock tools, spare parts, etc. are kept in a different box for storage.

I've thought of the surplus ammo can thing with a set of "organizer" trays from CTD, Midway, or Brownells. I like how they're all enough for bottles not to "lay down" and their water/air tight. Still might do that, but the toolbox will suffice for now.

D

D

5. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

6. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Old ammo cantainers with watertight seals are good in case of spillage but sometimes the size can limit other components like rods or other odd shapes.
    And if you plan on mixing long guns with pistols for a day at the range well, ya might need a trailer, no I was just kidding.

I always carry a couple large rags for laying out the dirty parts as well as a couple for wiping down(and patches). With the cleaning solvents it all fits in an ammo can. The pistol rods and all jags brushes usually get thrown in there too. I ust carry the rod for the rifle seperate.

7. Dan75719

Dan75719 New Member

I don't use anything fancy, just a small travel pouch that you would find in a luggage section. Works perfect for all of the cleaning supplies including the rods.

8. This is exactly what I use. I too use ziplock bags and small plastic boxes to keep rod tips, patches, etc. paid $8 at Lowes. Works well.

9. wrpNYFL

wrpNYFL Premium Member Lifetime Supporting Member

In the pouches of my range bag.

10. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Same here.....

11. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

I was looking at the same one, dwcfastrice. Also have the same issue with some of the bottles leaking when on end - hence looking at something with height to store upright.

Going by memory - price point from small to larger MTM type poly boxes were upper $20 to almost $40.

12. They are less than $9 at my local Loews store.

13. Sorry, was referring to the Stanley tool box.

14. RRoss

RRoss If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it! Lifetime Supporting Member

+1 on this... :D
    Although I think I'm going to try out the Ammo can idea. Sounds a lot more durable. The box is getting kinda beat up anyway

15. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

Lol dammit buzz! You darn near had me running out of the office finding the closest HD/Lowes! ;)

16. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

Buy more shoes/boots...

Think of it like a sale. Buy a pair of shoes, get one gun cleaning storage box free!

17. RRoss

RRoss If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it! Lifetime Supporting Member

Just what my wife needs...an excuse to buy MORE shoes! :D

18. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

Being a sneaker head I started out using one of my Jordan boxes until one of the bottles leaked and went to an ammo can. But with small utensils and such falling to the bottom makes sorting through the narrow can a hassle.

19. ncnrmedic

ncnrmedic New Member

When I started out, I thought I'd be super smart and spend an insane amount of money getting a Pelican case. Which was stupid considering even my guns weren't in something that nice. Anyway, got hoppe's solvent all over the inside of the box, and had to change that idea quick.

20. iShoot

iShoot New Member

I have a MTM Site-N-Clean case, however it's big and bulky.. I use a old Plano tackle box (the one with the 2 opening trays) I find this works best, I put all the brushes, swabs, and other stuff in the trays. In the bottom I keep the rods, bore cleaner, oil and bags of patches.