Glock Firearms banner
101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,847 Posts
Ah, the adventures of being a teenager. It's amazing that some of us survived to become elders and give advise to new generations of teenagers. Which they promptly disregard just as we did. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.................
Ain't it the truth ! 👍

·
Registered
200 Posts
100 Hornet &100 K Hornet! 200 .303 brit !
I friend of mine has an original #4 Mark 1 Lee Enfield in .303 British that he uses to compete in military rifle matches and does quite well with it. I've shot it a couple times and while it takes a bit to get used to the stock configuration it is a nice shooter and not all that different from my 1903A3.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..........

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,847 Posts
The .303 has a long history as a hunting round here in Australia. Mind you the days of buying a Lee Enfield for about $10.00 are long gone! Years ago we used to buy old milsurp ammo (manufactured in the early 1900s , !917 some of it !) It was dirt cheap and we would cut the tip of the projectile off to try to get them to expand! Learning curve ? You only cut about !/8 th of an inch off! a !/4 inch is a disaster the lead in the projectile travels out of the jacket leavening the jacket in the bore! Don't ask how I know! Just trust me on this one! We used to 'sporterize' our SMLE rifles by removing the forend wood! This made the rifles shoot about 8 inches high! Solution? Put a drop of braze on the fore sight and then file it down until it shot where you wanted it!

Sleeve Shotgun Rectangle Gun barrel Gun accessory

My Mountain sporter! Better known as the Goat basher

·
Registered
200 Posts
Beauty that. A 10 round detachable mag is something I wish my 1903A3 had.
A brass jacket stuck in the bore could lead to a real exciting followup shot. :eek:
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...........

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Sized about a thousand rounds of .40 S&W brass yesterday on a single stage press. I'll bell them tomorrow. Once the shortages settle down, I really need to get a progressive set up.
That's some work on a single stage.

Reactions: Old Bloke

·
Registered
5,441 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,847 Posts
Bloke
I have one of those in 45 colt, haven't used it since 1979 kept it mainly as a reminder where I started.
I have one in .22 Hornet. It was given to me as a joke! I went out on to the Nullabour plain many years ago to shoot foxes. I had everything that I needed to live out there for several months. Apart from my Press, powder thrower and dies! Heaven knows why I forgot them! I contacted my Father with a urgent SOS, please send the following! He sent the gear out by Train but on my return he presented me with the hand tool, so in his words ....I could leave it in the glove box of my truck and never be stuck again! That would of been in the early 80's and his never let me forget!

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
I have one in .22 Hornet. It was given to me as a joke! I went out on to the Nullabour plain many years ago to shoot foxes. I had everything that I needed to live out there for several months. Apart from my Press, powder thrower and dies! Heaven knows why I forgot them! I contacted my Father with a urgent SOS, please send the following! He sent the gear out by Train but on my return he presented me with the hand tool, so in his words ....I could leave it in the glove box of my truck and never be stuck again! That would of been in the early 80's and his never let me forget!
Yes it works, just very slowly but better than not having a way to reload.

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,847 Posts
I woke up today to find. 200 rnds of 6mm, 400 rnds of .358, 100 rnds of 375 Big Bore and 500 rnds of .357 ammo loaded! It seems I got a 'fully automatic' reloading press for Christmas! I've never heard of the brand before today! It's called a 'Granddaughter' 😉! I like this idea of going to sleep and waking up to loaded ammo! The only problem being is that , I no longer own anything in .357! Whilst my Granddaughter brought her Martini cadet chambered in .357 up with her! Now I had cast a heap of 158 gn semi wad cutters ,for her to take home with her. There is a small matter of she brought no powder ,primers with her to say nothing of cases! I have noted that I'm missing 500 WPM primers and a pile of cases ( A mate of my wife's , works for a armoured car company and they after qualifying with their refresher shoots throw their .357 brass away! She always brings me a heap)

·
Registered
200 Posts
A Cadet in .357 magnum sounds like a nice little rifle.
As long as the reloads were done right the .357 reloading stuff sounds like fair exchange. :)
And who knows? Maybe it's a hint that she wants to go shooting with you. "Hey Grandpa, I got the ammo all ready to go." ;)

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,847 Posts
A Cadet in .357 magnum sounds like a nice little rifle.
As long as the reloads were done right the .357 reloading stuff sounds like fair exchange. :)
And who knows? Maybe it's a hint that she wants to go shooting with you. "Hey Grandpa, I got the ammo all ready to go." ;)
No hints about it! We went out yesterday afternoon. She wanted to get some goats and then last night she came out with me for the first time. We spent an entire night Roo shooting, she'd never been out with me when I'm shooting Professionally! Of course she couldn't shoot but did a wonderful job of keeping me awake! Only had one little hiccup......I let her operate the spotlight! A couple of times I was just getting ready to shoot and the area the roo was in went dark but an owl in a tree got cataracts, from getting hit with the light and deafened by .....Look 'Grumps' an owl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
"Look 'Grumps' an owl" 🤣 We had to learn about keeping the spotlight focused when we went night hunting with my Da too but I imagine your training method is better than his was; a swift smack up side the head and "Watch what you're doing dammit!"
Oh well at least she's interested in the outdoor stuff you do which is better than having to pry her away from the boob tube and vidiot games. :)
Tell her I said hi from Wyoming.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp................

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,847 Posts
"Look 'Grumps' an owl" 🤣 We had to learn about keeping the spotlight focused when we went night hunting with my Da too but I imagine your training method is better than his was; a swift smack up side the head and "Watch what you're doing dammit!"
Oh well at least she's interested in the outdoor stuff you do which is better than having to pry her away from the boob tube and vidiot games. :)
Tell her I said hi from Wyoming.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp................
Funny thing is earlier this year I had the kids out spotlighting for foxes. They were earning a wage from me to do it! Trust me that light never left a fox when she was shooting! I built the Martini for her and she has one in .22 hornet that I built. I must admit I cringed ,when she arrived with the .357. She has fitted a Red Dot sight to it (no problems there) Thing is instead of asking me for a recommendation, she brought a 'BSA' off of E-BAY!!!!! She's got a Birthday coming up and I intend rectifying the problem !

·
Registered
200 Posts
Funny thing is earlier this year I had the kids out spotlighting for foxes. They were earning a wage from me to do it! Trust me that light never left a fox when she was shooting! I built the Martini for her and she has one in .22 hornet that I built. I must admit I cringed ,when she arrived with the .357. She has fitted a Red Dot sight to it (no problems there) Thing is instead of asking me for a recommendation, she brought a 'BSA' off of E-BAY!!!!! She's got a Birthday coming up and I intend rectifying the problem !
"Earning a wage" Right there is the key thing. :)
Sounds like she's got "Grumps" pretty well charmed. Enjoy it while you can. All to often and all to soon we become someone they "use" to enjoy hanging around with.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Went to the range yesterday, started out this morning cleaning two 1911's and now I'm on to loading up some 45 ACP.

101 - 120 of 150 Posts