Glock Firearms banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Eley stuff wasn't cheap before the panic buying and now it's like gold.
That's weird about the Fieldman. Was it a Naughton Fieldman with the thumb hole stock?
They're supposed to be pretty nice rifles.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,636 Posts
The Eley stuff wasn't cheap before the panic buying and now it's like gold.
That's weird about the Fieldman. Was it a Naughton Fieldman with the thumb hole stock?
They're supposed to be pretty nice rifles.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............
It most certainly is! A left handed model
Revolver Plant Air gun Wood Trigger

The old Girl has made me a lot of money over the years!

·
Registered
135 Posts
It most certainly is! A left handed model
View attachment 259031

The old Girl has made me a lot of money over the years!
Beauty. You even have the heavy barrel. A real "reach out and touch something" rifle. There was one for sale here in the States chambered in 22 magnum. The ad didn't last long. :)
I end up with a Remington 541-S with a Leupold Gold Ring scope from my dad's safe that he used for small caliber field competitions. Nice rifle with an adjustable trigger and a match grade barrel.
Sold it to a guy that wanted a prairie dog rifle. A while later I watched a video on Youtube of a guy in Australia using the same rifle to hunt fox and rabbits.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............
Wood Hardwood Gun barrel Flooring Automotive exterior
Wood Font Music Hardwood Event

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,636 Posts
The Barrel on the Fieldman is very deceptive! The actual rifle barrel is only about 3/8th of an inch! But it is fitted inside of a alloy jacket! Which basically gives it , the stability of a H/B but without the weight! As it came from the factory it was Bedded and the Barrel floated! The barrel is also 17.5 inches long which is the optimum barrel length for a .22 LR! As a matter of interest his factory also a Semi Auto and lever action

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Barrel on the Fieldman is very deceptive! The actual rifle barrel is only about 3/8th of an inch! But it is fitted inside of a alloy jacket! Which basically gives it , the stability of a H/B but without the weight! As it came from the factory it was Bedded and the Barrel floated! The barrel is also 17.5 inches long which is the optimum barrel length for a .22 LR! As a matter of interest his factory also a Semi Auto and lever action
Sounds like a real delight to shoot. I know Merv Naughton is gone but is anybody making something similar?
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp............

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,636 Posts
Sounds like a real delight to shoot. I know Merv Naughton is gone but is anybody making something similar?
Unfortunately, when Merv died in 1988. the company's firearm section folded. Which is a great pity! Merv did employ an apprentice John Mialls. Who went on to own the largest Gun store in Australia! I believe in about 1976 ,Merv approached John about taking over Feldman's but he declined the offer preferring to go into business on his own

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,636 Posts
Many years ago there was a Gunsmith by the name of Arthur Langsford ,he ran a Gun store in NSW named after his wife 'Myra' he was prolific inventor and Wildcatter. He gave us Roos shooters the 240 Myra and the 257 Myra ,which were basically a .222 Rem necked out to .243 & 257. His greatest legacy was what he called the .17 Tiny Mite which was a .22lr necked down to .17. Now the price tag of these rifles was (I'm not joking) $100,000 au:. Only one to the best of my knowledge ever left his store.... It was stolen and the thief came back several days later to buy ammo for it !!
Arthur died some years later and the patent expired and Hornady picked it up and used it as the basis of their .17 HMR
I Have never owned a .17 HMR as the price of ammo was just off this planet at about $30 au per 50.

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,636 Posts
In my early days of working. I tried both the .240 Myra and the 257 Myra. I used the .222 Rimmed case though so I could chamber it in a Martini Cadet action! Thing was even just the .222R you had to reduce the standard load for a .222 by 5 % ! I'm sad to say although the .222 might be a great target round it never appealed to me as a hunting round

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've heard the Myra rifles mentioned by a friend that has several custom built rifles and pistols chambered in wildcat calibers for target shooting but I've never seen one. At $100,000 au now I know why. :)
.17 HMR has become a fairly common and popular round here in the states and price wise the cost is about the same as .22 magnum which ain't cheap.
I've never shot anything in .17 HMR but do have a Savage model 24 O/U combo gun chambered in 22mag and 20 gauge. Kind of heavy but fun to shoot. With a sling it would be a good all around survival or poacher's firearm.
Also got the grandson a Heritage Rough Rider revolver with the the dual cylinders 22lr and 22mag. Nice for what it is and makes a handy truck gun.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..................

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,636 Posts
My Dad had, for years a Savage 30-30/12 gauge ,that traveled in his farm truck. He reckoned it give him the best of both worlds! He used it to control vermin (Feral goats ,Crows etc ). For many years I shot and owned Handguns It strangely enough, was a form of relaxation for me! When you shoot rifles for a living and need a hobby, handguns were fun! Thing was though and still is I suppose. Handguns require you to be a member of a club! There is a loop hole though! If you are a 'Primary Producer' (Farmer) You can apply for a class of licence to carry a handgun on your property! I used to carry a Ruger single 6 with the .22mag cylinder on occasion. Dad (being Dad) carried a ancient .455 Webley! To this day ,only Dad knows why! I brought him a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 once and he promptly traded it for a Blackhawk in .44mag! I don't think he ever fired a shot out of it! I owned two at the time and I think he just wanted to 'keep up with the joneses' as it were!

·
Registered
135 Posts
My Dad had, for years a Savage 30-30/12 gauge ,that traveled in his farm truck. He reckoned it give him the best of both worlds! He used it to control vermin (Feral goats ,Crows etc ). For many years I shot and owned Handguns It strangely enough, was a form of relaxation for me! When you shoot rifles for a living and need a hobby, handguns were fun! Thing was though and still is I suppose. Handguns require you to be a member of a club! There is a loop hole though! If you are a 'Primary Producer' (Farmer) You can apply for a class of licence to carry a handgun on your property! I used to carry a Ruger single 6 with the .22mag cylinder on occasion. Dad (being Dad) carried a ancient .455 Webley! To this day ,only Dad knows why! I brought him a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 once and he promptly traded it for a Blackhawk in .44mag! I don't think he ever fired a shot out of it! I owned two at the time and I think he just wanted to 'keep up with the joneses' as it were!
Ya'll ended up with some strange and convoluted rules and regulations from that "voluntary" firearm buyback program. Though no worse than some of the red tape and bull crap we have in some US states.
I'd like to have a Webley in .455 just because.... :) I've had a couple early 3 screw flat top model Ruger Blackhawks in 44 mag over the years but none now. If I had known how hard to find and expensive they were going to get I would have tried to hang on to at least one of them. :confused: I'd like to have one with in .357 with a 4 1/2" barrel. To me the Blackhawks are more comfortable and better shooters than the Super Blackhawks.
The guy I traded with for the Savage, he got a Remington model 660 in .243 out of the deal, has another in 22mag/20 gauge, one in 30-30/12 gauge, one in .243 or .223 over 12 gauge, and several in .22lr/.410. He's trying to get one of every combo.
I stopped by my local Sportsman's Warehouse store today to see what they had on the shelves. Don't usually go there, prefer supporting my local mom&pop shops, but at the moment I'm looking everywhere.
No powder, primers, or .410 ammo but they did have a limited amount of other ammo and brass and bullets for reloading. I lucked out and and picked up 250 115gr 9mm FMJ Berry's Bullets for reloading and 400 CCI 40gr 22lr rounds with the multi-color polymer coating for the grandson's stash at a decent price.
The grandson's M19 seems partial to the 115 grain powder coated bullets I reload and all the full metal jacket ammo and bullets we've tried so far. Doesn't like the 125gr powder coated bullets for some reason and is picky about hollow point bullets. Haven't shot anything but factory ammo in the Beretta PX4 so far so we'll see what it likes. The Ruger P89 doesn't care. If it fits in its magazine it will shoot it.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.................

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,636 Posts
Nice find with the .22 ammo and components. I owned a Norinco 1911 for a couple of years and when it came to ammo Full metal jacket no problems ,cast round nose ,no problems but if I tried to feed it semi wad cutters or hollow points? It gave me all sorts of grief! I think it thought of it's self as a poor man's Colt Hardball 1911! Thing I remember about that Dammed Webley of Dad's was the trigger on it ! I swear after shooting it for a while, you could lift a 200lbs set of weights with just, your trigger finger!!!! Damn it had a heavy trigger!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nice find with the .22 ammo and components. I owned a Norinco 1911 for a couple of years and when it came to ammo Full metal jacket no problems ,cast round nose ,no problems but if I tried to feed it semi wad cutters or hollow points? It gave me all sorts of grief! I think it thought of it's self as a poor man's Colt Hardball 1911! Thing I remember about that Dammed Webley of Dad's was the trigger on it ! I swear after shooting it for a while, you could lift a 200lbs set of weights with just, your trigger finger!!!! Damn it had a heavy trigger!
Now you know why it got your attention so effectively when you dad or drill sergeant poked you in the chest with that trigger finger. :)
Still no primers in the stores but I swapped 1000 large rifle magnum primers for 1000 standard small pistol primers today and may have a deal to swap 1000 Remington 7 1/2 small rifle bench rest primers for 1000 standard small rifle or pistol primers. Those bench rest primers are apparently real popular with varmint hunters.
Been loading quite a few FMJ 9mm rounds for the grandson to practice with before he takes the NRA pistol training clinic and managed to pick up enough FMJ factory ammo for the actual clinic. They prefer the shooters use factory ammo but with the ammo shortage are allowing hand loads. But since his M19 is picky about ammo I want him to shoot factory stuff at the clinic since we haven't had any problems with it.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...........

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,636 Posts
Bench rest primers are all the rage with Roo shooters over here at the moment ! Buggered if I know why? Hey if it works for them so be it. I don't know if it's still the case (no pun intended ) but years ago when using Winchester Ball powders, it was recommended to use Magnum primers . I haven't used Winchester powders since they discontinued their 785! I loved that powder! Great to hear you've been able to trade primers for primers! A Mate of mine owns a P226 and has the same problem with it being fussy about the ammo he feeds it!
My Old Man, to this day uses his trigger finger, to poke the middle of my fore head! Normally with a accompanying...."Hey is anything alive in there?" I swear there is a dent in my forehead! Over here in Basic training ,in the army Corporals are Gods who must be feared. Sargent's see recruits as not even being human! Mind You from memory the RSM (Regimental Sargent Major) had a special part of their brain set aside. For the disciplinary punishment of wayward recruits!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Bench rest primers are all the rage with Roo shooters over here at the moment ! Buggered if I know why? Hey if it works for them so be it. I don't know if it's still the case (no pun intended ) but years ago when using Winchester Ball powders, it was recommended to use Magnum primers . I haven't used Winchester powders since they discontinued their 785! I loved that powder! Great to hear you've been able to trade primers for primers! A Mate of mine owns a P226 and has the same problem with it being fussy about the ammo he feeds it!
My Old Man, to this day uses his trigger finger, to poke the middle of my fore head! Normally with a accompanying...."Hey is anything alive in there?" I swear there is a dent in my forehead! Over here in Basic training ,in the army Corporals are Gods who must be feared. Sargent's see recruits as not even being human! Mind You from memory the RSM (Regimental Sargent Major) had a special part of their brain set aside. For the disciplinary punishment of wayward recruits!
My Old Man was a big magnums and hot loads fan and he also coached and competed in small bore, 22 cal rifle, competition which how I ended up with so many magnum and specialty primers and the Eley Tenex 22 ammo.
I haven't hunted in years and just load target ammo to punch holes in paper and tin cans. I have bullets suitable for hunting that I can load up if I ever need to and even some factory nitro express loads for my 45-70 with 405gr half jacket hollow point bullets in case the SHTF and I need to whack one of the local buffalo but shooting one of them is equal to shooting twenty 300gr target loads. :cool:

Sounds like my Da; he'd give me a whack on the head just to make sure I was listening before chewing my butt. After 17 years of him 13 weeks of Marine Corps boot camp was almost fun. At least we were all getting yelled at and messed with instead of just me. And when we went to the range my ability to handle firearms and shoot were much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,695 Posts
I am gearing up to start loading 10mm. I have acquired dies, shell holder, a little bit of brass, some 180 gr projectiles. I have a very limited supply of large pistol primers and my nephew picked me up a few pounds of long shot powder. As soon as deer season is over here I plan on putting some loads together.
Green Automotive tire Font Gas Bumper

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,636 Posts
When my Dad visited recently, he found that I have an annealing machine. So as a result his getting me to make up a hundred rounds of 22-303 cases for him. I suggested if he gave me his load data, I would load em up for him> His answer ? You just form the brass! You can have the rifle and the load I use, after I die!

·
Registered
135 Posts
The winds have been pretty strong here lately and it's colder than a coal miner behind most days, both normal for this time of year in Wyoming, so I'm going to rent some time at the local community indoor range so the grandson can practice with the FMJ rounds I've been loading for him.
I was able to swap the 1000 small rifle bench rest primers for a 1000 standard small pistol primers and 900 large rifle magnum primers for 1000 standard small rifle primers. Small rifle primers work fine in my S&W 38sp revolver and the 9mm Ruger P89 so I can devote most of the small pistol primers to the grandson's M19. I haven't tried any hand loads in the Beretta PX4 yet so I'll take it along to the range and we'll how well it functions.
Finally ran out of Accurate #2 and can't find any at the moment so I'm going to try out Hodgdon CFE.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.........

61 - 80 of 102 Posts