Glock Firearms banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
My daughter, who isn't exactly anti firearm but doesn't understand why anybody needs an "AR15 assault weapon" and her husband were visiting me for the first time a couple years ago and I gave them the nickle tour of the house including my gun/reloading room which is an extra bedroom in the basement. I have an old McWelco firearm safe in it that's made of 5/16 plate steel welded inside and out. A beast of a thing that weighs 825lbs empty and took the grandson (not her kid) and I seven weekends to move from the pawn shop where I bought it to where it sits now.
So I show them the safe which is over filled with mine and the grandson's firearms (when he turns 18 next month the long-guns are going home with him), my reloading set up, the bedroom closet full of ammo, the smaller safe on the enclosed back porch that is full of powder and primers and the 300lbs of casting lead ingots in the garage and she says something like "you have a regular ammunition factory and arsenal here" to which I reply "in Wyoming I'm considered a hobby level firearm owner and reloader, some people I know have vaults bigger than my entire house (635sq ft) for their stuff." Picture big eyes and dropped jaw reaction though my SIL is like a kid in a candy factory.
Fast forward about a year and a half and my SIL has finally talked the daughter into letting him get a pistol for the house but he's having trouble find 9mm ammo so I load up 200 rounds and send it to him.
She's still not a firearm enthusiast but there's been a definite change of attitude. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp............
I hope you told your daughter that the AR-15 is NOT an "assault weapon".
And very nice, the "change of attitude" is a good thing. To many people for far to long have been ill informed of firearms, until they think they need one to protect themselves. I blame the gun culture as a whole for not stepping up decades ago to make sure people are taught properly as to "why" we need firearms. Anyway, you get the point, i dont want to derail the thread.

NICE stash by the way, lol :giggle:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I hope you told your daughter that the AR-15 is NOT an "assault weapon".
And very nice, the "change of attitude" is a good thing. To many people for far to long have been ill informed of firearms, until they think they need one to protect themselves. I blame the gun culture as a whole for not stepping up decades ago to make sure people are taught properly as to "why" we need firearms. Anyway, you get the point, i dont want to derail the thread.

NICE stash by the way, lol :giggle:
Thanks. I explained to her and my SIL that firearm technology has developed and changed drastically since firearms like my 1917 Colt revolver and 1903A3 Remington bolt action rifle were considered military grade "assault weapons" and in today's world a real "assault weapon" has the ability to fire in full automatic mode, which the civilian AR15 doesn't have while the military M16 does.
And while both use basically the same ammo, that same ammo is also commonly used in other semi auto rifles that don't look at all like military weapons.
Then I had to explained the difference between semi and full auto, single and double action, pistol and revolver, and other firearm terms that they, at least she, didn't understand.
I also emphasized the importance of proper firearms training and correct maintenance and secure storage of firearms. Things that I'm real big on.
Unfortunately their visit wasn't long enough for me to take them out to the range, though my SIL was "quite" interested in shooting several of my firearms, but I think their visit had a lot to do with him finally getting her to agree to having a firearm in the house.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,636 Posts
What has really annoyed me today ,is I had to nip round to my Gun Guys to pick up ,more powder. Not a big problem until he announced that ADI our local powder manufacturer is no longer supplying Bench Mark 2 in 4kg tins! Only 1 kg bottles! I brought his last 3, 4kg tins! I'm not happy about this!

·
Registered
135 Posts
What has really annoyed me today ,is I had to nip round to my Gun Guys to pick up ,more powder. Not a big problem until he announced that ADI our local powder manufacturer is no longer supplying Bench Mark 2 in 4kg tins! Only 1 kg bottles! I brought his last 3, 4kg tins! I'm not happy about this!
Did he know why the manufacturer made that decision? What is a 4kg tin of Bench Mark 2 going for in AU?
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp............

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,636 Posts
I reckon it's down to price! These last tins I got. Were at the old price of $350.00 per tin! A 4 kg tin of what ADI powders are still available are retailing for about $450.00 A kilogram bottle of ADI powders is ranging from $105- $130. Winchester is $60-72 per Pound . Alliant $69 per pound. Hodgdon $60-79 per pound! I don't pay any where near those prices! Thanks to bulk ordering and I don't pay sales tax

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Spent yesterday at the range shooting one of my 1911's so today was spent loading some 200 gr. SWC's over Clays powder, haven't loaded over Clays in quite a while.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I have used Clays In many cartridges over the years, it is mild, clean burning,economical,my three most used powders in no particular order are 700 X,WST and Clays,I've been experimenting with Alliant Sport Pistol and I'm starting to prefer it for 9 mm but not so much for 45 auto at least in my limited testing so far.

Reactions: Griddler

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'll have to try some out; if I can ever find any. :)
I've been using Accurate #2 for years and like its consistency but I ended up with almost 2lbs of the Ramshot Enforcer from my father's stuff, he liked to use it in his 44 magnums, that he had opened and I don't know how old it is so I'm trying to use it up before it goes bad.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............

·
Registered
443 Posts
Primed 50 38 Spec. cases and 150 45 ACP.

Anyone know when primers might become available again?
I'm to the point that I would happily pay double what I paid previously just to replenish my shrinking supply.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts

I'm to the point that I would happily pay double what I paid previously just to replenish my shrinking supply.
That is the 64,000 dollar question for many.

Reactions: RevV and Old Bloke

·
Registered
135 Posts

If I knew the answer to this question I'd be first in line with cash in hand when the store's doors opened. :)
I keep hearing that all loading components are going to the ammo manufacturers which make me wonder, if this is true then why aren't I seeing any ammo on the shelves?
Curiouser and curiouser said Alice.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............

·
Premium Member
3,695 Posts
Loading some 308 win today. 180 gr partitions with Varget and some with 4064. Savage arms contacted me yesterday to say they are sending me a new rifle. I bought an ultra lite with the proof research barrel on it about a year ago. It shot terrible groups with different factory ammo and reloaded ammo so I sent it back to them. Hopefully this new one will be better!
Green Window Plant Circuit component Table

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well the grandson and I took his Glock 19 and my Ruger P89 that he'll eventually get along with my S&W 422 out to the range and burned up 250 rounds of 9mm and and 500 rounds of 22lr today so this is going to be 9mm week.
His Glock feeds the 115gr powder coated bullets much better than the 125gr powder coated bullets whereas the Ruger doesn't care what kind of 9mm you feed it.
The 422 has never been picky about ammo, we were shooting Remington Thunderbolt today, but really loves the Eley Tenex match ammo my dad gave me. I don't shoot it often though because damn that stuff has gotten expensive. :eek:
Good thing it was free and I kept a nice stash of it.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp................

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,636 Posts
Eley ammo has always been expensive over here! On saying that though, over the years I've only found one .22 lr that hated it ! That was my Fieldman .22 rifle! It used to be my go to Rabbit shooting rifle when I was shooting them for a living! Winchester Australia used to produce 3 different Generic brands of .22 lr Diamond, which was cheap ,Winner which was cheap and nasty and Bushman ,which came under the heading of ........That's all you've got? Yet my Fieldman would shoot 1/4 inch groups at 75 yards all day and night! With Diamond or Winner! There was a subsidiary of Eley in Australia for many years and they sold ammo under the Name of ICI! There was a brand of .22 ammo sold as Civic it was reasonably priced and it shot well and hit hard!
Rectangle Font Triangle Signage Brand

You cut the box along one edge as there was a target printed on the inside!
They also manufactured C/F ammo under the Brand of Imperial! Which included most of the .303 Wild Cats .22/243/257/270-303!

41 - 60 of 102 Posts