Glock Forum banner
501 - 520 of 531 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Man
10,564 Posts
Reloaded some 223 for the AR. Cleaned some brass while attempting to load some 380 for the wife I ran into a problem with my new Redding dies as the flared case will not fit into the die. After some troubleshooting with Mike from REDDING the die set will be in the mail tomorrow. I continued on working some hunting loads for 30-06 instead.
Thank God for decent customer service !

Reactions: SJ 40

·
Banned
995 Posts
The press works so much better after installing the new parts, especially the new shell plate indexing arm. With the old and very worn arm the press had an annoying habit of large pistol primers jumping and flipping when loading 45acp and I couldn't adjust it out but after installing the new arm and readjusting the travel that problem disappeared. :)
I just ordered 2000 Servicios Aventuras Small Pistol Primers from Powder Valley. I've never used them before but found some reviews from folks that said they work for them with no problems.
The grandson and I shot some of those 9mm and 45 cal poly coated hollow point bullets I got from ZMunitions at some water and dirt filled pumpkins. They shot nicely and the couple we were able to retrieve from the dirt filled pumpkins, they went right through the water filled ones, showed some slight expansion.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...........

·
Grumpy Old Man
10,564 Posts
The press works so much better after installing the new parts, especially the new shell plate indexing arm. With the old and very worn arm the press had an annoying habit of large pistol primers jumping and flipping when loading 45acp and I couldn't adjust it out but after installing the new arm and readjusting the travel that problem disappeared. :)
I just ordered 2000 Servicios Aventuras Small Pistol Primers from Powder Valley. I've never used them before but found some reviews from folks that said they work for them with no problems.
The grandson and I shot some of those 9mm and 45 cal poly coated hollow point bullets I got from ZMunitions at some water and dirt filled pumpkins. They shot nicely and the couple we were able to retrieve from the dirt filled pumpkins, they went right through the water filled ones, showed some slight expansion.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...........
I've not had any experience with poly coated projectiles as yet . But having calibres like the 310, 32-20, 357 and 44 mag in rifles the thought has gone through my mind . Any idea if they have a velocity limit Rifle vs Pistol ? before fouling ?

·
Banned
995 Posts
I've not had any experience with poly coated projectiles as yet . But having calibres like the 310, 32-20, 357 and 44 mag in rifles the thought has gone through my mind . Any idea if they have a velocity limit Rifle vs Pistol ? before fouling ?
The info I've read says that poly coated bullets work fine in high velocity rounds and I know guys that use them in 44 and .357 mag handguns with no problems. They work great in my 45-70 but it's not high velocity, just big. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............

·
Grumpy Old Man
10,564 Posts
The info I've read says that poly coated bullets work fine in high velocity rounds and I know guys that use them in 44 and .357 mag handguns with no problems. They work great in my 45-70 but it's not high velocity, just big. :)
Cheers for that ! My 45-70 lives on a diet of cast projectiles and moderate verlosities

·
Banned
995 Posts
One big benefit shooting coated cast bullets in the 45-70, aside from being cheaper than jacketed bullets, is that it eliminated the problem of leading in the barrel that I had with regular cast bullets.
I do love lofting those big chunks of lead out of it. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp................

·
Grumpy Old Man
10,564 Posts
Yeah those 45 and larger caliber bullets use up a lot more lead than 22 or even 30 caliber bullets don't they? :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..................
Down south of us, is Port Pirie . They have a large lead/silver smelter there! I'm in negotiation on using their semelter to cast my large stuff ! Their worried that they might have to expand their operation to keep up with my demand 😄

·
Grumpy Old Man
10,564 Posts
I hope yer Da and his mate are at least helping out with powder, primers, and bullets.
Don't worry though there's a Halo awaiting you; just get the reloading done first. :D
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............
I honestly don't mind wearing the cost. Dad's 92 and his mate isn't far behind ! When Dad decided that he was too old to reload just recently ,he diverged his 'Pet Load' to me so I could use it ! Sweet Baby Moses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I swear it is proof of the strength of the Pat 14 action , that he didn't maim himself years ago! I remember getting his cases and noticing the primers were acutely pushed out of the case! He admitted he only got 3-5 reloads out of a case before having to replace them but he put it down to the brass being work hardened due to the resizing process! I without his knowledge reduced the load back to about 'swift' ballistics! He did complain that he had to re-zero his rifle but I assured him that it was due to adjustments I'd made by changing powders! As for his mate's 310 . It cost me bugger all to load as I use cast projectiles! The pair of them get a lift every saturday to their local range as neither of them drive anymore! I figure that supplying them with ammo, is worth the suffering that they must give other members of the club! 😁

·
Banned
995 Posts
I honestly don't mind wearing the cost. Dad's 92 and his mate isn't far behind ! When Dad decided that he was too old to reload just recently ,he diverged his 'Pet Load' to me so I could use it ! Sweet Baby Moses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I swear it is proof of the strength of the Pat 14 action , that he didn't maim himself years ago! I remember getting his cases and noticing the primers were acutely pushed out of the case! He admitted he only got 3-5 reloads out of a case before having to replace them but he put it down to the brass being work hardened due to the resizing process! I without his knowledge reduced the load back to about 'swift' ballistics! He did complain that he had to re-zero his rifle but I assured him that it was due to adjustments I'd made by changing powders! As for his mate's 310 . It cost me bugger all to load as I use cast projectiles! The pair of them get a lift every saturday to their local range as neither of them drive anymore! I figure that supplying them with ammo, is worth the suffering that they must give other members of the club! 😁
Good on ya mate!
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.........

·
Banned
995 Posts
Just doing the usual 100 rounds each of 45acp, 38spl, and 9mm every week. Need more ammo boxes.
Been using small rifle primers for the 38spl. The S&W model 10 doesn't seem to mind them at all. :cool:
Some above freezing temps would be nice so I could do some shooting outdoors. Oh well, still doing better than the folks in Yankeeland who have gotten about two meters of snow.

·
Grumpy Old Man
10,564 Posts
Years ago I used to use 357 with small rifle primers in my 686 as I also had and still do a Martini cadet and Rossi lever chambered in 357 . It saved me worrying about what ammo to use in what !

501 - 520 of 531 Posts