Glock Forum banner
421 - 440 of 487 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 ·
Nice. 4000fps on that 22x303? I'm a rookie, so I don't know; but I bet it's fast fast. Just started necking down some 7.62x39 into slicker version of itself. Will post some picks when I finish the mandrel part of it.
Can`t wait to see those pics Allen! I bet they will look real sweet!

·
Grumpy Old Man
9,626 Posts
Nice. 4000fps on that 22x303? I'm a rookie, so I don't know; but I bet it's fast fast. Just started necking down some 7.62x39 into slicker version of itself. Will post some picks when I finish the mandrel part of it.
Dad's version of the 22-303 is what was known as the .303-22 Swift or the .224 improved . There are at least 5 types of .303-22 that I know off , including the 'wasp' which was about 1.5 inches long ! Most were loaded right back to accommodate the lower pressures of the model 3 and Number 4 Enfield actions! Dad's is built around Pat 14 ,which used a Mauser action! Dad for many years refused to share the load he used! When he gave up reloading and handed over the reigns to me, he told me what the load was ! It was a case of 'Sweet Baby Jesus'!!!!!!!!!!! 😲😵😵😵😵😵 I have reduced the loads way back to the realms of reality! It would still be around the high 3000 fps mark ! He never chonographed his loads but I can attest to the fact that at 400 yrds he used to almost decapitate a Kangaroo! He only got 5 loads out of a case before he had to replace them and his barrel life on average was 1500 shots! His was a generation of suicidal Reloader's!

·
Grumpy Old Man
9,626 Posts
Holy cow. Them old timers knew how to have some fun.
Fun? Trust me most of those blokes were borderline psychopath! One example is the method for Hunting Water Buffalo! They shot from horse back ! The method was to use a Martini Enfield .303 they would chase a buff down and as they got next to it they would shoot it in the spine! They thought nothing of hunting Buff on foot with a .303! The first .303 wildcat was the 303-270 ! Forming the case ? Pull the projectile out with a pair of pliers ,empty the cordite charge out ! Place (the still primed ) 303 case into a vice type die and resize to .270,then knock out with a rod (heavy emphasis on still primed !!) Replace original cordite charge ! then seat 130 gn .270 projectile! Remembering the cordite charge was for either a .303 180-220 gn projectile! Seating was easy ! You just tapped the projectile into place ! Insanity in it's purest form

·
Grumpy Old Man
9,626 Posts
Finished reloading Dad's ammo ! Near on a 1000 rnds ,should keep him occupied for a while ! He then mentions to me ,Don't suppose you now of anywhere that sells .225 brass do you ? Fortunately it wasn't for him! But he is thinking of brining his old 303-25 out of retirement !

·
Banned
922 Posts
View attachment 274419 Range officer was cool. Gave two minuets in front of the line to pick up as much as I could. Two minutes well spent. Some 7.62x39 that will become 6.5g, some 308, some 30-30, and some 300aac. And one 7.7x58
Nice haul. The outdoor range I shoot at has individual ranges of differing distances with berms between them so after shooting I can pick up my brass and usually harvest a lot of other folks brass that they leave.
I don't shoot .308 or .223 but I pick up any brass in those calibers, clean it, and send it to my brother who shoots both.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............

·
Grumpy Old Man
9,626 Posts

·
Banned
922 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Seen them used at many CAS matches, them seem to work well on sandy ground or mowed grass and it beats bending over especially if one has a bad back.

·
Banned
922 Posts
Seen them used at many CAS matches, them seem to work well on sandy ground or mowed grass and it beats bending over especially if one has a bad back.
Since you say that you've seen them used and that they work pretty well I may have to invest in one. Thanks. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.........
PS: Sometimes bending over isn't as difficult as straightening back up. :LOL:

Update. While checking out prices and sources for the Caldwell Retriever I found this; a different maker but the same thing and the best price so far.
I also ran across this video review. The retriever looks like it works nicely but the separating baskets are pure genius! Sorting through multiple sizes and types of brass is a PIA so those are definitely going on the wish list.

421 - 440 of 487 Posts