Glock Forum banner
381 - 400 of 448 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have shotgun presses but since I'm a lousy shot with them, astigmatism sucks when trying to hit moving targets, I don't shoot shotguns much and have yet to use them. That may change since the grandson is a natural with shotguns and likes to whack clay pigeons.
Finally got the Dillon sorted and loaded 200 rounds of 45acp. It's definitely faster but has an entirely different rhythm than the RCBS press so I had to back up and regroup a couple times before I was moving along smoothly. :oops:
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Bloke
That brings back memories of patching 540's for my 45 2.40 aka 45-90,patched so many that even today I still have 4 or 5 hundred ready to load.

·
Grumpy Old Man
8,966 Posts
Bloke
That brings back memories of patching 540's for my 45 2.40 aka 45-90,patched so many that even today I still have 4 or 5 hundred ready to load.
Oh Mate the first few ,were not a pretty sight I can tell ya! I was working from memory ,I'm starting to get the hang of it again. I went through a stage years ago when near all of my cast stuff was patched! For no other reason than showing off! Oh to be young and stupid

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Oh Mate the first few ,were not a pretty sight I can tell ya! I was working from memory ,I'm starting to get the hang of it again. I went through a stage years ago when near all of my cast stuff was patched! For no other reason than showing off! Oh to be young and stupid
I can only imagine me patching today, my fingers have gotten even more clumsy with age.

·
Grumpy Old Man
8,966 Posts
I can only imagine me patching today, my fingers have gotten even more clumsy with age.
That's my problem these days! I was talking to a chap who patches his projectiles to this day and he suggested I try masking tape! Thing is he wasn't joking, he showed me several examples! He shoots a replica Trap Door Springfield with Black powder!

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
That's my problem these days! I was talking to a chap who patches his projectiles to this day and he suggested I try masking tape! Thing is he wasn't joking, he showed me several examples! He shoots a replica Trap Door Springfield with Black powder!
I've heard of it, just never tried it,I'm quite critical about the paper I use.

·
Grumpy Old Man
8,966 Posts
I've heard of it, just never tried it,I'm quite critical about the paper I use.
I'm with you on that one! I used to and am once again using old dress pattern paper! I get it from 'Opp' shops they sell old dress patterns for a few cents! Also I use hot water with a spoon full of Bi carb of soda mixed as I find it' strengthens the paper! A Old bloke put me onto it when I first started patching bullets for my original Martini !

·
Registered
811 Posts
My order of 2000 large pistol primers from Natchez Shooters Supplies arrived this morning. They cost, not including the tax, shipping, and hazardous material fees, about 3 times what I used to pay per 1000 but in today's world that's become the norm.
Next month, if they're in stock, I plan on getting 2000 small pistol primers. I've been using standard small rifle primers for my 38spl loads and saving the small pistol primers for the grandson's 9mm Glock ammo.
The small rifle primers work fine, with an adjusted powder load, in my hammer fired revolver but I'm not sure they'll work reliably in a striker fired auto loader pistol.
I do plan on loading a few 9mm rounds using SR primers though to see how they work out. If they do work I'll keep using SP primers for 9mm but will know that I can use SR primers in case of an emergency.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.........

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm with you on that one! I used to and am once again using old dress pattern paper! I get it from 'Opp' shops they sell old dress patterns for a few cents! Also I use hot water with a spoon full of Bi carb of soda mixed as I find it' strengthens the paper! A Old bloke put me onto it when I first started patching bullets for my original Martini !
I've been considering trying to paper wrap some 405gr uncoated cast lead bullets that I have for my 45-70 but I may cheat though and give the masking tape method a try first. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp............

·
Registered
56 Posts
My order of 2000 large pistol primers from Natchez Shooters Supplies arrived this morning. They cost, not including the tax, shipping, and hazardous material fees, about 3 times what I used to pay per 1000 but in today's world that's become the norm.
Next month, if they're in stock, I plan on getting 2000 small pistol primers. I've been using standard small rifle primers for my 38spl loads and saving the small pistol primers for the grandson's 9mm Glock ammo.
The small rifle primers work fine, with an adjusted powder load, in my hammer fired revolver but I'm not sure they'll work reliably in a striker fired auto loader pistol.
I do plan on loading a few 9mm rounds using SR primers though to see how they work out. If they do work I'll keep using SP primers for 9mm but will know that I can use SR primers in case of an emergency.
No Sir. Tried small rifle primers with a Glock. No bueno. Would not set them off,

·
Glockin’ since 1993
47,514 Posts
With the rise in components and all other fees how much does a round of 9mm cost now as compared to pre-Covid/BLM/Biden?

·
Registered
811 Posts
With the rise in components and all other fees how much does a round of 9mm cost now as compared to pre-Covid/BLM/Biden?
Well, primers cost two to three times what they used to and powder is half again to twice what it used to cost. Bullets haven't gone up much, especially the powder coated ones I mostly use, and range recovered brass hasn't gone up much but new brass has and both are harder to find in common calibers.
All in all reloading ammo is still cheaper than buying factory rounds but the difference is much less.
Fortunately I had a good supply of reloading components stashed before the shortages began and am only now having to buy primers.
Plus I have a bit more than 400lbs of lead and molds for all the calibers I shoot so I can cast and powder coat bullets if need be.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Well, primers cost two to three times what they used to and powder is half again to twice what it used to cost. Bullets haven't gone up much, especially the powder coated ones I mostly use, and range recovered brass hasn't gone up much but new brass has and both are harder to find in common calibers.
All in all reloading 9mm, 38spl, and 45acp, is still cheaper than buying factory rounds but the difference is much less.
Fortunately I had a good supply of reloading components stashed before the shortages began and am only now having to buy primers.
Plus I have a bit more than 400lbs of lead and molds for all the calibers I shoot so I can cast and powder coat bullets if need be.
Spot on, that would also be my reply to the question.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have 3 from different manufactures and agree with old bloke, one can at a latter date add the micrometer feature to it as another plus in the RCBS's column as well.

The micrometer feature gives finer adjustments that are recordable and get you so close to a repeatable return if recorded, it is uncanny.

I set up my new Uniflow III 2 nights ago. Hoping to use it soon.

I used the link provided and looked at the micrometer.
How do you know if you need a small or a large?
The RCBS site had no info on that question.

Right now, I just load for pistols. If I ever mass produce rifle rounds, 556 would be the only one.
I am guessing I need the small.

Answers appreciated!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Testing 6 rds. of Berry's 240 grain flat point with 11 grains of Unique, WLP primers, COL of 1.611 for my SuperRedhawk.

Primed another 50 cases of 44 mag and put the remaining 44 WLPs in 45 ACP brass for my G30.
My Gen 4 G30 requires 6.8 grains of Unique with a 185 gr. Berry's bullet to cycle well.

·
Grumpy Old Man
8,966 Posts
I set up my new Uniflow III 2 nights ago. Hoping to use it soon.

I used the link provided and looked at the micrometer.
How do you know if you need a small or a large?
The RCBS site had no info on that question.

Right now, I just load for pistols. If I ever mass produce rifle rounds, 556 would be the only one.
I am guessing I need the small.

Answers appreciated!
From .17 to .30 calibres you need the small, 30 calibres and up you require the large. for instance with your pistol calibres unless your loading .25 😁. You use the large! Trust me your going to love the Uniflow

381 - 400 of 448 Posts