Glock Firearms banner
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Prepping cases today. I might dump some pow-duh & boo-lots later tonight.

Reactions: SJ 40

Registered
Think I have a pound of 700 X coming,so my future says I'm loading 45 Auto & 45 Cowboy Specials when it arrives.

Reactions: Griddler and Danzig

Registered
I've really got to replenish my stock of .223 ,220 swift ,303-25 and 7x57
When searching for small pistol primers I saw several places in Australia that them in stock. I realize that AU hasn't had the firearm and ammo panic buying that we've had in the US but just how well stocked are your suppliers for ammo and reloading components?
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp............

Registered
Have you ever tried 800X in your 45`s?
Yes more that a decade ago and IIRC it's a whole different animal than 700 X. About that time a coworker wanted some 357 Manglem for a hog hunt and he had the load data his father had worked up,I looked at it and it seemed reasonable so he came over and used my equipment to do his loading.The reason I tell the story is my introduction to Blue Dot as that was what his recipe called for and dang it works very well for full power loads in 45 Auto & 10 mm,I never found a need for 800 X after that.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yes more that a decade ago and IIRC it's a whole different animal than 700 X. About that time a coworker wanted some 357 Manglem for a hog hunt and he had the load data his father had worked up,I looked at it and it seemed reasonable so he came over and used my equipment to do his loading.The reason I tell the story is my introduction to Blue Dot as that was what his recipe called for and dang it works very well for full power loads in 45 Auto & 10 mm,I never found a need for 800 X after that.
Yeah buddie i hear that on the Blue Dot. Thats one of my most favorites for making my mag loads work real well. Been using BD for many decades. I LOVE Blue Dot. Lately i`ve started using Hodgdon Longshot in my 10mm`s. I`m having pretty good luck with it. Using the Longshot, i can conserve my Blue Dot powder for awhile.

Reason i asked about the 800X is because i got a REAL GOOD deal on a bunch of it, so i bought it all. I didnt know anybody that has ever used it much in 45acp, so i thought i would ask you about it. I can always use it in the 12ga loads just to use it up, too. I`ve used some for 00Buckshot loads so far. Pretty derned effective! LOL

Grumpy Old Man
When searching for small pistol primers I saw several places in Australia that them in stock. I realize that AU hasn't had the firearm and ammo panic buying that we've had in the US but just how well stocked are your suppliers for ammo and reloading components?
I don't know about other stores over here. My Gun Guy deals pretty much with Pro shooters and has always had massive stocks of Ammo and Reloading expendables. I always love going there ,when he has a sporting shooter buying 100 projectiles ,100 primers and a pound of powder! The expression on their faces, when somebody like me arrives to pick up 5000 projectiles ,10,000 primers and 20 lbs of different powders ,is priceless ! We then have to explain to them about the volumes that people like me shoot!
Many years ago I was working in Western Australia out on the Nulabour Plain. I was due to go on leave and a Rabbit processor asked me if I could pick up a order of .22 lr as his supply was running low. Now he had about 9 or 10 shooter's working for him at the time. the order was for 100,000 rnds which was a couple of months supply! I arrived in Adelaide and the Gun store was in a major road in the CBD. Not a problem ,I pulled up in a loading zone only (I figured I was loading ). I picked up the first load of ammo and took it out to my truck. I grabbed a young store assistant, to watch over what I had already loaded. Then I went back for another load. On my return ,there's the store assistant (shaking like a leaf I remember) and 2 burly Cops! I wandered out and the Kid points to me and one of the Cops says to me words to the effect of is this your ammo? Now not being used to big cities ,I replied no it's for a chap in WA ! How much ammo is there asks one of the cops and I tell him! Well things started to get a little heated and voices were raised! The Store owner heard this and came out and poured oil on troubled waters! I look back and laugh about it these days ,but I still remember how angry I was getting as I was just getting ,what I judged to be a normal order of ammo!

Registered
Yeah buddie i hear that on the Blue Dot. Thats one of my most favorites for making my mag loads work real well. Been using BD for many decades. I LOVE Blue Dot. Lately i`ve started using Hodgdon Longshot in my 10mm`s. I`m having pretty good luck with it. Using the Longshot, i can conserve my Blue Dot powder for awhile.

Reason i asked about the 800X is because i got a REAL GOOD deal on a bunch of it, so i bought it all. I didnt know anybody that has ever used it much in 45acp, so i thought i would ask you about it. I can always use it in the 12ga loads just to use it up, too. I`ve used some for 00Buckshot loads so far. Pretty derned effective! LOL
It works well enough, no complaints, just that B D was so much better over a wide variety of cartridges.

Reactions: Griddler

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Loaded up 300 rounds of 9mm & 300 rounds of 45acp this past weekend so wife an i could shoot indoors today. She`s a bit rusty and wants to get some practice in.

Registered
I don't know about other stores over here. My Gun Guy deals pretty much with Pro shooters and has always had massive stocks of Ammo and Reloading expendables. I always love going there ,when he has a sporting shooter buying 100 projectiles ,100 primers and a pound of powder! The expression on their faces, when somebody like me arrives to pick up 5000 projectiles ,10,000 primers and 20 lbs of different powders ,is priceless ! We then have to explain to them about the volumes that people like me shoot!
Many years ago I was working in Western Australia out on the Nulabour Plain. I was due to go on leave and a Rabbit processor asked me if I could pick up a order of .22 lr as his supply was running low. Now he had about 9 or 10 shooter's working for him at the time. the order was for 100,000 rnds which was a couple of months supply! I arrived in Adelaide and the Gun store was in a major road in the CBD. Not a problem ,I pulled up in a loading zone only (I figured I was loading ). I picked up the first load of ammo and took it out to my truck. I grabbed a young store assistant, to watch over what I had already loaded. Then I went back for another load. On my return ,there's the store assistant (shaking like a leaf I remember) and 2 burly Cops! I wandered out and the Kid points to me and one of the Cops says to me words to the effect of is this your ammo? Now not being used to big cities ,I replied no it's for a chap in WA ! How much ammo is there asks one of the cops and I tell him! Well things started to get a little heated and voices were raised! The Store owner heard this and came out and poured oil on troubled waters! I look back and laugh about it these days ,but I still remember how angry I was getting as I was just getting ,what I judged to be a normal order of ammo!
The reaction of the cops sounds like here. I see news stories about somebody getting busted for something firearm related and the talking heads are going on about the person having an "arsenal" of 10 to 15 firearms and 3 to 5 thousand rounds of ammunition and I wonder what they would say about the average firearm owner and reloader in Wyoming where that amount of firearms and ammo places you at the hobby level category. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp................

Registered
The reaction of the cops sounds like here. I see news stories about somebody getting busted for something firearm related and the talking heads are going on about the person having an "arsenal" of 10 to 15 firearms and 3 to 5 thousand rounds of ammunition and I wonder what they would say about the average firearm owner and reloader in Wyoming where that amount of firearms and ammo places you at the hobby level category. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp................
At the peak of my competition days it was not uncommon for me to have 100m primers and 100+ pounds of powder. I had sponsor help on bullets so those came in on a pallet. If I ever ran afoul of the law and was raided I am certain the "news" would portray me as a whako terrorist.

I haven't touched my 650 in close to three years. I dusted it off and fired it up last night. A few minor issues with the bullet feeder but other than that it ran well. It had my 9mm-major setup so I ran off a few hundred of those. Later this week I will switch it over and run a bunch of 9mm-minor.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Can`t tell ya how well the loads worked today. We lost power this morning and it was out most of the day.
Can`t shoot in our indoor range without power to run the lights and exhaust fans.
High winds and rain kept us off the outdoor range 馃槙

Might have a couple days this week were we can just shoot on our outdoor range.
In the mean time, i`m gonna keep loadin! Because i can! :giggle:

Registered
At the peak of my competition days it was not uncommon for me to have 100m primers and 100+ pounds of powder. I had sponsor help on bullets so those came in on a pallet. If I ever ran afoul of the law and was raided I am certain the "news" would portray me as a whako terrorist.

I haven't touched my 650 in close to three years. I dusted it off and fired it up last night. A few minor issues with the bullet feeder but other than that it ran well. It had my 9mm-major setup so I ran off a few hundred of those. Later this week I will switch it over and run a bunch of 9mm-minor.
My daughter, who isn't exactly anti firearm but doesn't understand why anybody needs an "AR15 assault weapon" and her husband were visiting me for the first time a couple years ago and I gave them the nickle tour of the house including my gun/reloading room which is an extra bedroom in the basement. I have an old McWelco firearm safe in it that's made of 5/16 plate steel welded inside and out. A beast of a thing that weighs 825lbs empty and took the grandson (not her kid) and I seven weekends to move from the pawn shop where I bought it to where it sits now.
So I show them the safe which is over filled with mine and the grandson's firearms (when he turns 18 next month the long-guns are going home with him), my reloading set up, the bedroom closet full of ammo, the smaller safe on the enclosed back porch that is full of powder and primers and the 300lbs of casting lead ingots in the garage and she says something like "you have a regular ammunition factory and arsenal here" to which I reply "in Wyoming I'm considered a hobby level firearm owner and reloader, some people I know have vaults bigger than my entire house (635sq ft) for their stuff." Picture big eyes and dropped jaw reaction though my SIL is like a kid in a candy factory.
Fast forward about a year and a half and my SIL has finally talked the daughter into letting him get a pistol for the house but he's having trouble find 9mm ammo so I load up 200 rounds and send it to him.
She's still not a firearm enthusiast but there's been a definite change of attitude. :)

21 - 40 of 102 Posts