Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

Banned
Fireformed 50 rnds of 'K' hornet tonight. Some of it on critters and the rest on tin can lids that I nailed to a stump and then shot at under lights at 175 yards! On Goats I try for neck shots. Using larger calibres.......Bleeds em out faster! (Says the man who has over the years used .375 H&H ,45-70 and .458 on goats! (and come to think of it Rabbits and feral cats! Yes I have certain problems 馃槺馃榿)
Neck shots with jumbo calibers saves you the trouble of cutting the head off too. :oops:
My Uberti 1885 Highwall in 45-70.
Vehicle Building Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood

Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp................

Banned
I've really got to replenish my stock of .223 ,220 swift ,303-25 and 7x57
When searching for small pistol primers I saw several places in Australia that them in stock. I realize that AU hasn't had the firearm and ammo panic buying that we've had in the US but just how well stocked are your suppliers for ammo and reloading components?
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp............

Banned
I don't know about other stores over here. My Gun Guy deals pretty much with Pro shooters and has always had massive stocks of Ammo and Reloading expendables. I always love going there ,when he has a sporting shooter buying 100 projectiles ,100 primers and a pound of powder! The expression on their faces, when somebody like me arrives to pick up 5000 projectiles ,10,000 primers and 20 lbs of different powders ,is priceless ! We then have to explain to them about the volumes that people like me shoot!
Many years ago I was working in Western Australia out on the Nulabour Plain. I was due to go on leave and a Rabbit processor asked me if I could pick up a order of .22 lr as his supply was running low. Now he had about 9 or 10 shooter's working for him at the time. the order was for 100,000 rnds which was a couple of months supply! I arrived in Adelaide and the Gun store was in a major road in the CBD. Not a problem ,I pulled up in a loading zone only (I figured I was loading ). I picked up the first load of ammo and took it out to my truck. I grabbed a young store assistant, to watch over what I had already loaded. Then I went back for another load. On my return ,there's the store assistant (shaking like a leaf I remember) and 2 burly Cops! I wandered out and the Kid points to me and one of the Cops says to me words to the effect of is this your ammo? Now not being used to big cities ,I replied no it's for a chap in WA ! How much ammo is there asks one of the cops and I tell him! Well things started to get a little heated and voices were raised! The Store owner heard this and came out and poured oil on troubled waters! I look back and laugh about it these days ,but I still remember how angry I was getting as I was just getting ,what I judged to be a normal order of ammo!
The reaction of the cops sounds like here. I see news stories about somebody getting busted for something firearm related and the talking heads are going on about the person having an "arsenal" of 10 to 15 firearms and 3 to 5 thousand rounds of ammunition and I wonder what they would say about the average firearm owner and reloader in Wyoming where that amount of firearms and ammo places you at the hobby level category. :)

Banned
At the peak of my competition days it was not uncommon for me to have 100m primers and 100+ pounds of powder. I had sponsor help on bullets so those came in on a pallet. If I ever ran afoul of the law and was raided I am certain the "news" would portray me as a whako terrorist.

I haven't touched my 650 in close to three years. I dusted it off and fired it up last night. A few minor issues with the bullet feeder but other than that it ran well. It had my 9mm-major setup so I ran off a few hundred of those. Later this week I will switch it over and run a bunch of 9mm-minor.
My daughter, who isn't exactly anti firearm but doesn't understand why anybody needs an "AR15 assault weapon" and her husband were visiting me for the first time a couple years ago and I gave them the nickle tour of the house including my gun/reloading room which is an extra bedroom in the basement. I have an old McWelco firearm safe in it that's made of 5/16 plate steel welded inside and out. A beast of a thing that weighs 825lbs empty and took the grandson (not her kid) and I seven weekends to move from the pawn shop where I bought it to where it sits now.
So I show them the safe which is over filled with mine and the grandson's firearms (when he turns 18 next month the long-guns are going home with him), my reloading set up, the bedroom closet full of ammo, the smaller safe on the enclosed back porch that is full of powder and primers and the 300lbs of casting lead ingots in the garage and she says something like "you have a regular ammunition factory and arsenal here" to which I reply "in Wyoming I'm considered a hobby level firearm owner and reloader, some people I know have vaults bigger than my entire house (635sq ft) for their stuff." Picture big eyes and dropped jaw reaction though my SIL is like a kid in a candy factory.
Fast forward about a year and a half and my SIL has finally talked the daughter into letting him get a pistol for the house but he's having trouble find 9mm ammo so I load up 200 rounds and send it to him.
She's still not a firearm enthusiast but there's been a definite change of attitude. :)

Banned
I hope you told your daughter that the AR-15 is NOT an "assault weapon".
And very nice, the "change of attitude" is a good thing. To many people for far to long have been ill informed of firearms, until they think they need one to protect themselves. I blame the gun culture as a whole for not stepping up decades ago to make sure people are taught properly as to "why" we need firearms. Anyway, you get the point, i dont want to derail the thread.

NICE stash by the way, lol :giggle:
Thanks. I explained to her and my SIL that firearm technology has developed and changed drastically since firearms like my 1917 Colt revolver and 1903A3 Remington bolt action rifle were considered military grade "assault weapons" and in today's world a real "assault weapon" has the ability to fire in full automatic mode, which the civilian AR15 doesn't have while the military M16 does.
And while both use basically the same ammo, that same ammo is also commonly used in other semi auto rifles that don't look at all like military weapons.
Then I had to explained the difference between semi and full auto, single and double action, pistol and revolver, and other firearm terms that they, at least she, didn't understand.
I also emphasized the importance of proper firearms training and correct maintenance and secure storage of firearms. Things that I'm real big on.
Unfortunately their visit wasn't long enough for me to take them out to the range, though my SIL was "quite" interested in shooting several of my firearms, but I think their visit had a lot to do with him finally getting her to agree to having a firearm in the house.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............

Banned
What has really annoyed me today ,is I had to nip round to my Gun Guys to pick up ,more powder. Not a big problem until he announced that ADI our local powder manufacturer is no longer supplying Bench Mark 2 in 4kg tins! Only 1 kg bottles! I brought his last 3, 4kg tins! I'm not happy about this!
Did he know why the manufacturer made that decision? What is a 4kg tin of Bench Mark 2 going for in AU?

Banned
I'll have to try some out; if I can ever find any. :)
I've been using Accurate #2 for years and like its consistency but I ended up with almost 2lbs of the Ramshot Enforcer from my father's stuff, he liked to use it in his 44 magnums, that he had opened and I don't know how old it is so I'm trying to use it up before it goes bad.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............

Banned
Primed 50 38 Spec. cases and 150 45 ACP.

Anyone know when primers might become available again?
I'm to the point that I would happily pay double what I paid previously just to replenish my shrinking supply.
If I knew the answer to this question I'd be first in line with cash in hand when the store's doors opened. :)
I keep hearing that all loading components are going to the ammo manufacturers which make me wonder, if this is true then why aren't I seeing any ammo on the shelves?
Curiouser and curiouser said Alice.

Banned
Well the grandson and I took his Glock 19 and my Ruger P89 that he'll eventually get along with my S&W 422 out to the range and burned up 250 rounds of 9mm and and 500 rounds of 22lr today so this is going to be 9mm week.
His Glock feeds the 115gr powder coated bullets much better than the 125gr powder coated bullets whereas the Ruger doesn't care what kind of 9mm you feed it.
The 422 has never been picky about ammo, we were shooting Remington Thunderbolt today, but really loves the Eley Tenex match ammo my dad gave me. I don't shoot it often though because damn that stuff has gotten expensive. :eek:
Good thing it was free and I kept a nice stash of it.

Banned
It most certainly is! A left handed model
View attachment 259031

The old Girl has made me a lot of money over the years!
Beauty. You even have the heavy barrel. A real "reach out and touch something" rifle. There was one for sale here in the States chambered in 22 magnum. The ad didn't last long. :)
I end up with a Remington 541-S with a Leupold Gold Ring scope from my dad's safe that he used for small caliber field competitions. Nice rifle with an adjustable trigger and a match grade barrel.
Sold it to a guy that wanted a prairie dog rifle. A while later I watched a video on Youtube of a guy in Australia using the same rifle to hunt fox and rabbits.
Wood Hardwood Gun barrel Flooring Automotive exterior
Wood Font Music Hardwood Event

Banned
The Barrel on the Fieldman is very deceptive! The actual rifle barrel is only about 3/8th of an inch! But it is fitted inside of a alloy jacket! Which basically gives it , the stability of a H/B but without the weight! As it came from the factory it was Bedded and the Barrel floated! The barrel is also 17.5 inches long which is the optimum barrel length for a .22 LR! As a matter of interest his factory also a Semi Auto and lever action
Sounds like a real delight to shoot. I know Merv Naughton is gone but is anybody making something similar?

Banned
I've heard the Myra rifles mentioned by a friend that has several custom built rifles and pistols chambered in wildcat calibers for target shooting but I've never seen one. At $100,000 au now I know why. :)
.17 HMR has become a fairly common and popular round here in the states and price wise the cost is about the same as .22 magnum which ain't cheap.
I've never shot anything in .17 HMR but do have a Savage model 24 O/U combo gun chambered in 22mag and 20 gauge. Kind of heavy but fun to shoot. With a sling it would be a good all around survival or poacher's firearm.
Also got the grandson a Heritage Rough Rider revolver with the the dual cylinders 22lr and 22mag. Nice for what it is and makes a handy truck gun.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..................

Banned
My Dad had, for years a Savage 30-30/12 gauge ,that traveled in his farm truck. He reckoned it give him the best of both worlds! He used it to control vermin (Feral goats ,Crows etc ). For many years I shot and owned Handguns It strangely enough, was a form of relaxation for me! When you shoot rifles for a living and need a hobby, handguns were fun! Thing was though and still is I suppose. Handguns require you to be a member of a club! There is a loop hole though! If you are a 'Primary Producer' (Farmer) You can apply for a class of licence to carry a handgun on your property! I used to carry a Ruger single 6 with the .22mag cylinder on occasion. Dad (being Dad) carried a ancient .455 Webley! To this day ,only Dad knows why! I brought him a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 once and he promptly traded it for a Blackhawk in .44mag! I don't think he ever fired a shot out of it! I owned two at the time and I think he just wanted to 'keep up with the joneses' as it were!
Ya'll ended up with some strange and convoluted rules and regulations from that "voluntary" firearm buyback program. Though no worse than some of the red tape and bull crap we have in some US states.
I'd like to have a Webley in .455 just because.... :) I've had a couple early 3 screw flat top model Ruger Blackhawks in 44 mag over the years but none now. If I had known how hard to find and expensive they were going to get I would have tried to hang on to at least one of them. :confused: I'd like to have one with in .357 with a 4 1/2" barrel. To me the Blackhawks are more comfortable and better shooters than the Super Blackhawks.
The guy I traded with for the Savage, he got a Remington model 660 in .243 out of the deal, has another in 22mag/20 gauge, one in 30-30/12 gauge, one in .243 or .223 over 12 gauge, and several in .22lr/.410. He's trying to get one of every combo.
I stopped by my local Sportsman's Warehouse store today to see what they had on the shelves. Don't usually go there, prefer supporting my local mom&pop shops, but at the moment I'm looking everywhere.
No powder, primers, or .410 ammo but they did have a limited amount of other ammo and brass and bullets for reloading. I lucked out and and picked up 250 115gr 9mm FMJ Berry's Bullets for reloading and 400 CCI 40gr 22lr rounds with the multi-color polymer coating for the grandson's stash at a decent price.
The grandson's M19 seems partial to the 115 grain powder coated bullets I reload and all the full metal jacket ammo and bullets we've tried so far. Doesn't like the 125gr powder coated bullets for some reason and is picky about hollow point bullets. Haven't shot anything but factory ammo in the Beretta PX4 so far so we'll see what it likes. The Ruger P89 doesn't care. If it fits in its magazine it will shoot it.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.................

Banned
Nice find with the .22 ammo and components. I owned a Norinco 1911 for a couple of years and when it came to ammo Full metal jacket no problems ,cast round nose ,no problems but if I tried to feed it semi wad cutters or hollow points? It gave me all sorts of grief! I think it thought of it's self as a poor man's Colt Hardball 1911! Thing I remember about that Dammed Webley of Dad's was the trigger on it ! I swear after shooting it for a while, you could lift a 200lbs set of weights with just, your trigger finger!!!! Damn it had a heavy trigger!
Now you know why it got your attention so effectively when you dad or drill sergeant poked you in the chest with that trigger finger. :)
Still no primers in the stores but I swapped 1000 large rifle magnum primers for 1000 standard small pistol primers today and may have a deal to swap 1000 Remington 7 1/2 small rifle bench rest primers for 1000 standard small rifle or pistol primers. Those bench rest primers are apparently real popular with varmint hunters.
Been loading quite a few FMJ 9mm rounds for the grandson to practice with before he takes the NRA pistol training clinic and managed to pick up enough FMJ factory ammo for the actual clinic. They prefer the shooters use factory ammo but with the ammo shortage are allowing hand loads. But since his M19 is picky about ammo I want him to shoot factory stuff at the clinic since we haven't had any problems with it.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...........

1 - 20 of 97 Posts