Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts
LOL, i hear that, LOL, i even went in my other reloading room just to see how much WST i had stashed! :ROFLMAO:

I think i`m going to cast a bunch of 45 this coming week. I too, have some 1911`s that needs some exercising as well, lol
It always seems a trip to the range includes the polymer guns and ole slab sides always languishing in the safe and that thread reminded me I haven't taken one of the 1911's in way over a year and I dont have one that doesn't love WST under a 200 SWC and it's time to fix that.

So try as I might,I couldn't locate a box of them,I've got ammo here and there in so many places but couldn't locate what I wanted so I sat down at the bench and before you know it I have 250 rounds.Which reminds me I need to take my conversion guns out to and limber them up as well.

I too am running low on WST,I've maybe a 1/8 of a pound left after loading, guess if I want to load much more of it I'm going to have to switch to my other old stand by for 45 ACP,700 X I still have about a pound and a half left of that on hand.

I also use it in another 45 caliber round that another friend from upstate New York gifted to the world, he devised in conjunction with Starline as the producer,for 45 colt revolvers called Cowboy 45 Special. That Starline now sells,It's nothing more than a 45 ACP but with a Colt rim on it, he took the unneeded middle out of the 45 colt round.
45 Cowboy Special Brass - Large Pistol - Brass Cases that fits in any 45 colt chamberd gun, rifles too with the correct modifications,Marlin and the Winchester toggle link rifles.

I haven't seen much in the way of powder at the 3 or 4 shops I frequent in my neck of the woods but will keep my eye pealed for some WST for you brother, someday hopefully the tide will turn and we will be able to purchase the powder we want.

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts
Think I have a pound of 700 X coming,so my future says I'm loading 45 Auto & 45 Cowboy Specials when it arrives.

Reactions: Griddler and Danzig

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts
Have you ever tried 800X in your 45`s?
Yes more that a decade ago and IIRC it's a whole different animal than 700 X. About that time a coworker wanted some 357 Manglem for a hog hunt and he had the load data his father had worked up,I looked at it and it seemed reasonable so he came over and used my equipment to do his loading.The reason I tell the story is my introduction to Blue Dot as that was what his recipe called for and dang it works very well for full power loads in 45 Auto & 10 mm,I never found a need for 800 X after that.

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts
Yeah buddie i hear that on the Blue Dot. Thats one of my most favorites for making my mag loads work real well. Been using BD for many decades. I LOVE Blue Dot. Lately i`ve started using Hodgdon Longshot in my 10mm`s. I`m having pretty good luck with it. Using the Longshot, i can conserve my Blue Dot powder for awhile.

Reason i asked about the 800X is because i got a REAL GOOD deal on a bunch of it, so i bought it all. I didnt know anybody that has ever used it much in 45acp, so i thought i would ask you about it. I can always use it in the 12ga loads just to use it up, too. I`ve used some for 00Buckshot loads so far. Pretty derned effective! LOL
It works well enough, no complaints, just that B D was so much better over a wide variety of cartridges.

Reactions: Griddler

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts
Spent yesterday at the range shooting one of my 1911's so today was spent loading some 200 gr. SWC's over Clays powder, haven't loaded over Clays in quite a while.

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts
I have used Clays In many cartridges over the years, it is mild, clean burning,economical,my three most used powders in no particular order are 700 X,WST and Clays,I've been experimenting with Alliant Sport Pistol and I'm starting to prefer it for 9 mm but not so much for 45 auto at least in my limited testing so far.

Reactions: Griddler

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts
Primed 50 38 Spec. cases and 150 45 ACP.

Anyone know when primers might become available again?
I'm to the point that I would happily pay double what I paid previously just to replenish my shrinking supply.
That is the 64,000 dollar question for many.

Reactions: RevV and Old Bloke

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts
View attachment 260188

That's a 405 gn .458 cal pill from a CBE mould. My Marlin 45/70 loves em! It's my got to calibre and projectile, for hunting camels on foot ! Great for chest shots! I call it the don't argue bullet! Cause I've yet to find any animal hit with it, does!
It's got it covered,from mice to elephants.

Reactions: Old Bloke

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts
Sized about a thousand rounds of .40 S&W brass yesterday on a single stage press. I'll bell them tomorrow. Once the shortages settle down, I really need to get a progressive set up.
That's some work on a single stage.

Reactions: Old Bloke

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts
I have one in .22 Hornet. It was given to me as a joke! I went out on to the Nullabour plain many years ago to shoot foxes. I had everything that I needed to live out there for several months. Apart from my Press, powder thrower and dies! Heaven knows why I forgot them! I contacted my Father with a urgent SOS, please send the following! He sent the gear out by Train but on my return he presented me with the hand tool, so in his words ....I could leave it in the glove box of my truck and never be stuck again! That would of been in the early 80's and his never let me forget!
Yes it works, just very slowly but better than not having a way to reload.

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts
Went to the range yesterday, started out this morning cleaning two 1911's and now I'm on to loading up some 45 ACP.

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts
View attachment 262944
Getting some 10mm brass ready to load. This will be my first time loading this caliber. Long shot powder, 180 plated flat points , federal primers and once fired brass (ppu). Will pour powder and seat bullets tomorrow after work and hopefully try them out over the weekend. Just looking to end up with a nice plinking load for some trigger time with my new Glock 20.
One of my favorite 10 mm powders,the other Blue Dot.

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts
My manual shows a 8.4 max for a 180 gr. bullet with the COAL you listed. I'm using a jacketed 180 gr. bullet which is a bit harder than a plated bullet,think I would try 8.0 grs and see what the result is.

Manufacturer
PowderBullet Diam.C.O.LGrs.Vel. (ft/s)PressureGrs.Vel. (ft/s)Pressure
HodgdonLongshot

0.400"1.260"7.51,14728,800 PSI8.41,24935,100 PSI

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts
Processed a couple of K worth of 9 MM Parabellum brass range pickups, have a couple of K worth of bullets,just have to fill the hoppers and tubes and get to work now.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts