Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The WST thread caused me to load some 45 ACP,time to exercise the 1911's.
LOL, i hear that, LOL, i even went in my other reloading room just to see how much WST i had stashed! :ROFLMAO:

I think i`m going to cast a bunch of 45 this coming week. I too, have some 1911`s that needs some exercising as well, lol

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It always seems a trip to the range includes the polymer guns and ole slab sides always languishing in the safe and that thread reminded me I haven't taken one of the 1911's in way over a year and I dont have one that doesn't love WST under a 200 SWC and it's time to fix that.

So try as I might,I couldn't locate a box of them,I've got ammo here and there in so many places but couldn't locate what I wanted so I sat down at the bench and before you know it I have 250 rounds.Which reminds me I need to take my conversion guns out to and limber them up as well.

I too am running low on WST,I've maybe a 1/8 of a pound left after loading, guess if I want to load much more of it I'm going to have to switch to my other old stand by for 45 ACP,700 X I still have about a pound and a half left of that on hand.

I also use it in another 45 caliber round that another friend from upstate New York gifted to the world, he devised in conjunction with Starline as the producer,for 45 colt revolvers called Cowboy 45 Special. That Starline now sells,It's nothing more than a 45 ACP but with a Colt rim on it, he took the unneeded middle out of the 45 colt round.
45 Cowboy Special Brass - Large Pistol - Brass Cases that fits in any 45 colt chamberd gun, rifles too with the correct modifications,Marlin and the Winchester toggle link rifles.

I haven't seen much in the way of powder at the 3 or 4 shops I frequent in my neck of the woods but will keep my eye pealed for some WST for you brother, someday hopefully the tide will turn and we will be able to purchase the powder we want.
SJ, keep your eye on PowderValleyInc, they are starting to get powder in again. They don`t have any WST again yet, but you can jump on their email list to be notified. As soon as you get their alert, jump on it instantly, because if you wait, no telling when they`ll get more in. Powder is starting to ease up in my area now. Everybody in my area shoots WST in their pistols. Best thing since sliced bread, lol. And a huge thanks for an extra eye out there for me, MUCH appreciated. I`ve got a couple jugs in my stash, so i`m good for a spell being that i don`t shoot my 1911`s that often. Take care brother ;)

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today i loaded a few hundred rounds of 223 & 22-250 for the bolt gun`s, and 100 rounds of 22 Hornet.
Tumbling the next go round for tomorrow`s reloading session.

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yes more that a decade ago and IIRC it's a whole different animal than 700 X. About that time a coworker wanted some 357 Manglem for a hog hunt and he had the load data his father had worked up,I looked at it and it seemed reasonable so he came over and used my equipment to do his loading.The reason I tell the story is my introduction to Blue Dot as that was what his recipe called for and dang it works very well for full power loads in 45 Auto & 10 mm,I never found a need for 800 X after that.
Yeah buddie i hear that on the Blue Dot. Thats one of my most favorites for making my mag loads work real well. Been using BD for many decades. I LOVE Blue Dot. Lately i`ve started using Hodgdon Longshot in my 10mm`s. I`m having pretty good luck with it. Using the Longshot, i can conserve my Blue Dot powder for awhile.

Reason i asked about the 800X is because i got a REAL GOOD deal on a bunch of it, so i bought it all. I didnt know anybody that has ever used it much in 45acp, so i thought i would ask you about it. I can always use it in the 12ga loads just to use it up, too. I`ve used some for 00Buckshot loads so far. Pretty derned effective! LOL

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Can`t tell ya how well the loads worked today. We lost power this morning and it was out most of the day.
Can`t shoot in our indoor range without power to run the lights and exhaust fans.
High winds and rain kept us off the outdoor range 😕

Might have a couple days this week were we can just shoot on our outdoor range.
In the mean time, i`m gonna keep loadin! Because i can! :giggle:

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
My daughter, who isn't exactly anti firearm but doesn't understand why anybody needs an "AR15 assault weapon" and her husband were visiting me for the first time a couple years ago and I gave them the nickle tour of the house including my gun/reloading room which is an extra bedroom in the basement. I have an old McWelco firearm safe in it that's made of 5/16 plate steel welded inside and out. A beast of a thing that weighs 825lbs empty and took the grandson (not her kid) and I seven weekends to move from the pawn shop where I bought it to where it sits now.
So I show them the safe which is over filled with mine and the grandson's firearms (when he turns 18 next month the long-guns are going home with him), my reloading set up, the bedroom closet full of ammo, the smaller safe on the enclosed back porch that is full of powder and primers and the 300lbs of casting lead ingots in the garage and she says something like "you have a regular ammunition factory and arsenal here" to which I reply "in Wyoming I'm considered a hobby level firearm owner and reloader, some people I know have vaults bigger than my entire house (635sq ft) for their stuff." Picture big eyes and dropped jaw reaction though my SIL is like a kid in a candy factory.
Fast forward about a year and a half and my SIL has finally talked the daughter into letting him get a pistol for the house but he's having trouble find 9mm ammo so I load up 200 rounds and send it to him.
She's still not a firearm enthusiast but there's been a definite change of attitude. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp............
I hope you told your daughter that the AR-15 is NOT an "assault weapon".
And very nice, the "change of attitude" is a good thing. To many people for far to long have been ill informed of firearms, until they think they need one to protect themselves. I blame the gun culture as a whole for not stepping up decades ago to make sure people are taught properly as to "why" we need firearms. Anyway, you get the point, i dont want to derail the thread.

NICE stash by the way, lol :giggle:

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Bloody 22 250 ? You need to up grade to the purist's cartridge! The .220 Swift !
(sit's back lights a smoke and waits for the fighting to begin 😁)
Baaaaahahahahaha my brother, lol, if we could only find any 220 swift ammo here, lol, and invest in a chitload of barrels to replace the ones i burn up. Nahhh i stopped messin with the 220 swift awhile back. Love the cartridge, just couldnt ever get ammo for it. I shot the barrels out of the couple rifles i had, never messed with them after that. Friend of mine bought them from me for a fair price (because i knew he would rebarrel them in a different caliber), so i let them go. Been on the 22-250 kick for awhile now. I can reach out there and smoke dogs to 500yds where i live, so we`re all good with that. Anything past 500yds is really wasting ammo at that point with a .224 caliber bullet. The rifle i`m loading for right now, she`s a 500yd furr bustin b!tch. Not a ditch grizzly (woodchucks) for miles around that can escape the wrath of that ole girl, lol. Take aim, squeeze the fire pipe ignitor, see RED MIST! Field fertilizer baby! lol

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
My Dad owns a 22-303 Sprinter! Nobody knows exactly what his load is! Its either a 40 gn pill for long range Crow busting or a 55 gn pill for Roo shooting ! It's built around a Pat 14 action ,which is the only thing, I swear has stopped him getting a face full of bolt over the years! Crows at 400 yrds turn into a little puff of feathers! Any thing less than about 200 yrds on a Roo near takes the head off! I shot a rabbit with it once at about 100 yds and it virtually turned the rabbit inside out ! It's barrels are good for about 1500 rounds before there is noticeable throat erosion! I read once where the .220 swift used to burn out barrels in 500 shots! Being young and suicidal I put it to the test and managed to ruin a barrel in just over 500 shots! My Barrel guy near killed me! I destroyed the loading data I had worked up to! So I would never be tempted again!
DANGGGGGGGGGG, i bet THAT was a hoot to shoot! Yeah, boltface can keel`yah! Seen a video a long time ago where a bolt rifle blew the bolt out the back of it. Was not kool to see it. I always wondered why we haven`t seen more of that happening over the years because some people get a bit nuttsie loadin`em way to hot. I ain`t got a pretty face, but i dang sure don`t want a bolt takin away what i got! :oops:

Yup... my 220`s smoked the barrels around 500 to 550 rounds, they were done. Hot temp powders will surely end a barrels career real quick.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts