Glock Firearms banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any machinists on here know what a glock factory barrel is made of (ie 440 stainless steel, 7075 aluminium...)? What's the slide made of?

I'm trying to get my grandfather into Glocks and he's a retired machinist, and he likes to know what his guns are made of.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
Sugar and spice and all that's nice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@TNFrank Thanks for the links but they don't actually name an actual material other then the barrels are made of steel, which in the world of material science is not very specific.

Please let me know if you can think of any other links that might be helpful

Thanks

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
Made out of metal and assembled here in America by hardworking Americans. That's all he needs to know.

·
8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)
3,451 Posts
In defense of grandpa, a new member and Glock, I have to say, that's a little condescending. How are we to know that's "all he needs to know"? If he's a retired machinist, with probably 40+ years of working with metal, it's obviously a legitimate question. Not sure but I would imagine Glock could offer you a helpful answer if you call 770-432-1202.

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
In defense of grandpa, a new member and Glock, I have to say, that's a little condescending. How are we to know that's "all he needs to know"? If he's a retired machinist, with probably 40+ years of working with metal, it's obviously a legitimate question. Not sure but I would imagine Glock could offer you a helpful answer if you call 770-432-1202.
It was my failed attempt at humor and patriotism. I'll now go over The Glock Board where they obviously have a sense of humor.

·
8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)
3,451 Posts
It was my failed attempt at humor and patriotism. I'll now go over The Glock Board where they obviously have a sense of humor.
My apologies for failing to recognize the humor. I did recognize the patriotism. ;)

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Argyle_Armoring said:
Bye ............

Attachments

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
I worked for many years as a Machinist and even in the firearms industry too and as long as Glocks aren't made out of Zinc Alloy(like Hi-Points are) I really don't care what they're made out of. They work, they have a proven track record and many have had many thousands of rounds put through them with nary a hitch, that's "proof" enough for me to have faith in Glock, don't care what they're made out of, they work and that's good enough for me.;)

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
And I'm glad to see the humor has rejoined this thread.

·
Hail Commifornia
6,370 Posts

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
4140 Chrome/Molybdenum alloy steels are pretty much the industry standard for barrels, they can be blackened easily. Colt & Bushmaster use 4150 Chrome/Moly which is a Mil-Spec for M4's. 416 Stainless Steel is used for stainless barrels, and usually chrome lined, stainless steel being softer than Chrome/Moly. The individual specific steel recipes used by each mfg. are proprietary and usually kept private, & not published, but are minor variants of a basic 4140 alloy. 4150 Chrome/Moly alloys are a more common choice for Mil Spec. products.

The composition of the Glock Slide is behind proprietary information, but it's likely very close to 8620, which is generally categorized with 4130 & 4140, as "Low Alloy Steels". 8620 is often called Carbon Steel.

Here are links to more detailed info on 4140 and 4150 composition. Hope it helps some, even though it's not exactly specific to Glock, it's pretty close.

First 4140

http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=f5a251039f424eabb8e661079bf35b61

And 4150

http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=52ca0dbb6c9d456a9d9327620bb930c7

1 - 18 of 18 Posts